Thread: Elvis in Humes Book

Question Elvis in Humes Book

Does any of you have this book? I don't really know the correct title of it. Someone told me this can only be bought in Humes High School (so is an extremely rare to find). The book contain many stories told by the girls that shared time with Elvis back in that time (stories of how they invited Elvis to a dinner. The director of the school is selling these texts to earn money for that school.
    Thanks for any info you can give.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Re: Elvis in Humes Book

If it weren't for Elvis Presley then they certainly wouldn't have any reason to sell it. After all it was a white segregated school back then and today it's an all black middle school. When I was last at Humes one of the workers there said that they were pushing for it to be renamed in honor of Elvis. But some of the blacks in the neighborhood were against it.

Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    If it weren't for Elvis Presley then they certainly wouldn't have any reason to sell it. After all it was a white segregated school back then and today it's an all black middle school. When I was last at Humes one of the workers there said that they were pushing for it to be renamed in honor of Elvis. But some of the blacks in the neighborhood were against it.
    Why were they against it?

Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    Did you go to school there?
    Quote Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
    Why were they against it?
    That's what I would like to know also.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    That's what I would like to know also.
    I think I may have a hunch as to why. Many blacks think Elvis stole their music, which I think absolutely think is ridiculous. Many of them are also under the impression that Elvis said "The only thing (n-word)s can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes" which as been disproven many more times than not.

NOTE: Not trying to be racist whatsoever.

I think I may have a hunch as to why. Many blacks think Elvis stole their music, which I think absolutely think is ridiculous. Many of them are also under the impression that Elvis said "The only thing (n-word)s can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes" which as been disproven many more times than not.

Unfortunately you are correct.

International Level spanish eyes's Avatar

IMO I think its sad cos music belongs to everyone. Elvis had his own style of singing with feeling and he shared it with the world he never said it was his music, no-one should say that a certain type of music belongs to them. Their impression of him is wrong Elvis didn't see people for the colour of their skin, he was a much deeper person than that and very down to earth.
    You ask how long I love you, I'll tell you true,
    until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you

LIF

Quote Originally Posted by spanish eyes View Post
    IMO I think its sad cos music belongs to everyone. Elvis had his own style of singing with feeling and he shared it with the world he never said it was his music, no-one should say that a certain type of music belongs to them. Their impression of him is wrong Elvis didn't see people for the colour of their skin, he was a much deeper person than that and very down to earth.
    GF, you've got the point. I couldn't have said it better

"You can knock me down, step in my face,
    slander my name all over the place"
    - But don't YOU step on my blue suede shoes -

desiree

*You walk past me- I can feel your pain-Time changes everything -One truth always stays the same - You're still you - After all - You're still you *

I'm kinda lost... What about the info about the book?
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy