Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Elvis in Humes Book

  1. #1
    Elvis 56's Lady Wendy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,741

    Question Elvis in Humes Book

    Does any of you have this book? I don't really know the correct title of it. Someone told me this can only be bought in Humes High School (so is an extremely rare to find). The book contain many stories told by the girls that shared time with Elvis back in that time (stories of how they invited Elvis to a dinner. The director of the school is selling these texts to earn money for that school.
    Thanks for any info you can give.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

    http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/


    "You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

    Wendy

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    89

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    If it weren't for Elvis Presley then they certainly wouldn't have any reason to sell it. After all it was a white segregated school back then and today it's an all black middle school. When I was last at Humes one of the workers there said that they were pushing for it to be renamed in honor of Elvis. But some of the blacks in the neighborhood were against it.

  3. #3
    International Level LtCarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    519

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    If it weren't for Elvis Presley then they certainly wouldn't have any reason to sell it. After all it was a white segregated school back then and today it's an all black middle school. When I was last at Humes one of the workers there said that they were pushing for it to be renamed in honor of Elvis. But some of the blacks in the neighborhood were against it.
    Why were they against it?

  4. #4
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    If it weren't for Elvis Presley then they certainly wouldn't have any reason to sell it. After all it was a white segregated school back then and today it's an all black middle school. When I was last at Humes one of the workers there said that they were pushing for it to be renamed in honor of Elvis. But some of the blacks in the neighborhood were against it.
    Did you go to school there?
    Quote Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
    Why were they against it?
    That's what I would like to know also.

  5. #5
    International Level LtCarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    519

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    That's what I would like to know also.
    I think I may have a hunch as to why. Many blacks think Elvis stole their music, which I think absolutely think is ridiculous. Many of them are also under the impression that Elvis said "The only thing (n-word)s can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes" which as been disproven many more times than not.

    NOTE: Not trying to be racist whatsoever.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    89

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    Quote Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
    I think I may have a hunch as to why. Many blacks think Elvis stole their music, which I think absolutely think is ridiculous. Many of them are also under the impression that Elvis said "The only thing (n-word)s can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes" which as been disproven many more times than not.

    NOTE: Not trying to be racist whatsoever.
    Unfortunately you are correct.

  7. #7
    International Level spanish eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    563

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    Quote Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
    I think I may have a hunch as to why. Many blacks think Elvis stole their music, which I think absolutely think is ridiculous. Many of them are also under the impression that Elvis said "The only thing (n-word)s can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes" which as been disproven many more times than not.

    NOTE: Not trying to be racist whatsoever.

    IMO I think its sad cos music belongs to everyone. Elvis had his own style of singing with feeling and he shared it with the world he never said it was his music, no-one should say that a certain type of music belongs to them. Their impression of him is wrong Elvis didn't see people for the colour of their skin, he was a much deeper person than that and very down to earth.
    You ask how long I love you, I'll tell you true,
    until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you

    LIF

  8. #8
    Cadillac King desiree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    273

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    Quote Originally Posted by spanish eyes View Post
    IMO I think its sad cos music belongs to everyone. Elvis had his own style of singing with feeling and he shared it with the world he never said it was his music, no-one should say that a certain type of music belongs to them. Their impression of him is wrong Elvis didn't see people for the colour of their skin, he was a much deeper person than that and very down to earth.
    GF, you've got the point. I couldn't have said it better


    "You can knock me down, step in my face,
    slander my name all over the place"
    - But don't YOU step on my blue suede shoes -


    desiree

    *You walk past me- I can feel your pain-Time changes everything -One truth always stays the same - You're still you - After all - You're still you *

  9. #9
    Elvis 56's Lady Wendy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: Elvis in Humes Book

    I'm kinda lost... What about the info about the book?
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

    http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/


    "You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

    Wendy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •