Thread: Graceland & Secret Service

Backstage Pass

Graceland & Secret Service

Just a thought . . . You know how they say Graceland's upstairs is off limits, I bet that rule was changed for President Bush and Japan's Prime Minister, as Secret Service would have had to sweep the entire grounds of Graceland and the home itself. I heard that the cameras showing the house were shut down for awhile. Just curious how things went down . . . guess we'll probably know. I know there was a comment made saying how the upstairs was off limits even to Bush/Prime Minister just has the family quarters to the White House are off limits.

Re: Graceland & Secret Service

Interesting thought.....

I've never given that a thought, but you've a point. If the President visited, Graceland would have had to have been cleared before he arrived - even the upstairs. I am sure that the Japanese Prime Minister also travels with a security detail of some sort and probably had to also clear the entire house and grounds before they could tour. I wonder if EPE made them sign some sort of binding agreement that would insure that they would never talk or write about the upstairs.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

WHO KNOWSWHATS THE BIG DEAL ANYWAYS..GOING UPSTAIRS..ITS BEEN OVER 31 YEARS......there is nothing to hide up there ... yeah its where elvis passed away...but everything is empty now nobody is home.......so what if they got to visit upstairs.....actually i think it was off limits even for them
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

I'm going to venture and guess that the upstairs remained closed even when former President Bush and Japan's PM (Prime Minister) visited Graceland cuz (at least to me) when something is off-limits, that means it's off-limits to everyone - including the President.

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I'm going to venture and guess that the upstairs remained closed even when former President Bush and Japan's PM (Prime Minister) visited Graceland cuz (at least to me) when something is off-limits, that means it's off-limits to everyone - including the President.
    I totally agree with you Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Tony, sir, maybe you misunderstood my post. I didn't state that the visitors were able to tour the second story; however, it is highly possible that the Secret Service and Japan's PM's security detail had to go upstairs to secure it.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by GraceeD1970 View Post
    Just a thought . . . You know how they say Graceland's upstairs is off limits, I bet that rule was changed for President Bush and Japan's Prime Minister, as Secret Service would have had to sweep the entire grounds of Graceland and the home itself. I heard that the cameras showing the house were shut down for awhile. Just curious how things went down . . . guess we'll probably know. I know there was a comment made saying how the upstairs was off limits even to Bush/Prime Minister just has the family quarters to the White House are off limits.
    I heard that when Lisa was married to Nick Cage (who is so Freaking hot) that he was able to see Elvis's room??? Don't know though???
    Son if you ever say another derogatory word about Elvis Aaron Presley I WILL KICK THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU!~

TCB Mafia

I heard Al Gore wanted to go upstairs and they wouldn't let him

Quote Originally Posted by dstrattenfan View Post
    I heard that when Lisa was married to Nick Cage (who is so Freaking hot) that he was able to see Elvis's room??? Don't know though???
    Lisa and Nick Cage watched the candlelight vigil that year from Elvis' bedroom is how I have always heard the story. And didn't he try on one of Elvis' jackets?

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Tony, sir, maybe you misunderstood my post. I didn't state that the visitors were able to tour the second story; however, it is highly possible that the Secret Service and Japan's PM's security detail had to go upstairs to secure it.

No, Ma'am, I didn't misunderstand your post, sweetie.

I still say that the Secret Service (for the Prez) and Japanese PM's security detail would know enough about Graceland to know that it's safe and wouldn't need to 'secure' it.

Let me throw my two cents in this. I would assume the upstairs was locked so there was no need to check that part since nobody's allowed up there but Lisa and Prisiclla.

Backstage Pass

Oh I'm so glad I got some replies to this question. I've seen on Discovery, etc., in how and when a President visits, details are done ahead of time. All areas of a building, home, etc., are secured. Bomb sniffing dogs are brought in too. The Japan's Prime Minister even had his own security detail too. I don't care how they say Graceland's upstairs is off limits, when it comes to a President no stone is left unturned - even if you're Elvis. I know the President and Prime Minister didn't go upstairs, but the Secret Service would have had to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    Let me throw my two cents in this. I would assume the upstairs was locked so there was no need to check that part since nobody's allowed up there but Lisa and Prisiclla.

I doubt it. Nothing is left to chance when it comes to the Secret Service. Everything is checked and then double checked. As easy as it would be to believe that 'Graceland is locked upstairs so no one needed to check it', the Secret Service isn't that naive.

University of Memphis

I would also think that any upstairs checking by the SS was probably done with little real worry-I'm sure they were guided and given a quick look at the rooms. I don't think they would have had to go throught drawers or look in every nook and cranny since its really not that much territory to cover.
    Also if Japans PM had any class I would think he would not request seeing upstairs knowing the policy which Lisa has in place.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by GraceeD1970 View Post
    Oh I'm so glad I got some replies to this question. I've seen on Discovery, etc., in how and when a President visits, details are done ahead of time. All areas of a building, home, etc., are secured. Bomb sniffing dogs are brought in too. The Japan's Prime Minister even had his own security detail too. I don't care how they say Graceland's upstairs is off limits, when it comes to a President no stone is left unturned - even if you're Elvis. I know the President and Prime Minister didn't go upstairs, but the Secret Service would have had to check it out.
    i agree, we all love elvis,but when it comes to heads of state visiting any area, house ect,it doesnt matter if that place hadnt been used for 1,000 years it would still be checked out.
    as for nicolas cage wearing elvis jackett,thats the only reason he married lisa imho, she must have known that he was a massive elvis fan before she married him,or didnt he find time to mention it
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    WHO KNOWSWHATS THE BIG DEAL ANYWAYS..GOING UPSTAIRS..ITS BEEN OVER 31 YEARS......there is nothing to hide up there ... yeah its where elvis passed away...but everything is empty now nobody is home.......so what if they got to visit upstairs.....actually i think it was off limits even for them
    Why is it no one's allowed? Tradition? Elvis didn't allow anyone up there and in his memory they they don't allow visitors to view the upstairs now?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go