Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Honestly love you

TCB Mafia

I Honestly love you

An interesting story about this song

In 1972 Marty Lacker picked up the song ''I honestly love you'' shorty after Peter Allen wrote it to give to Elvis to record, Elvis was suppose to record this song at the March 72 Hollywood sessions but Colonel Parker was upset at people including Marty Lacker for bringing in songs that they didn't have or couldn't get the publishing on so the Colonel told Joe Esposito and Felton Jarvis not to tell him when the next recording sessions were so Elvis didn't cut the song.

Olivia Newton John went on to record the song and it was a big hit for her hitting #1 on the pop and the adult contemporary charts as well as #6 on the country charts and being a #1 hit in Australia.

I was wondering if anyone here can hear Elvis singing it

in my opinion the song is better suited to a female singer but if Elvis did record it instead of Olivia Newton John I wonder if he would've done the whisper like vocal that she ended up doing

I see it as being a top 40 pop and big easy listening hit for him but don't think it would get all the way to number one as RCA didn't do a good job of promoting him in the 70's.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

TCB Mafia

Re: I Honestly love you

I've always loved the song.

Elvis would have made the song his own, if he thought it appropriate, and I would have loved to have heard him sing it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0zRNz4PVnM"]YouTube - Olivia Newton-John & Jim Brickman - I honestly love you[/ame]

It's a good song and a very good friend of mine and I used to sing it all the time. When we were just goofing around. Anyway that's besides the point. I don't know if I could really see Elvis doing it. I'm sure that if he had it would still been a wonderful song. But I agree I think it's better with a female. But it would have been interesting had he sung it.

OLIVIA DID A WONDERFUL VERSION OF THIS SONG. BUT I'M SURE THAT IF ELVIS BELIEVED IN THE LYRICS HE WOULD HAVE DONE A GREAT RECORDING ALSO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4272388430a7659051390l.jpg  

What/who is the source for this?

This was certainly written by Peter Allen, but there was never any intention of giving it to Elvis.

It was never part of the March '72 lineup.
    Last edited by Getlo; 02-11-2009 at 06:05 AM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    What/who is the source for this?

This was certainly written by Peter Allen, but there was never any intention of giving it to Elvis.

It was never part of the March '72 lineup.

Marty Lacker

read my original post again and you'll understand why Elvis didn't record it as intended

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Marty Lacker

read my original post again and you'll understand why Elvis didn't record it as intended

I read this from Marty Lacker, too, at some stage, from AEK.

Elvis seemed to like Olivia Newton Johns choice of material.
    I think "I Honestly Love You" would have been one of those songs which would have had a personal draw for Elvis. If that would have been true I think he would have done a very credible job with the song.
    Work in Progress!

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

I personally wish he would've followed through with the January 1977 recording session, because we could get more great songs out of it.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by elvispresleytheking View Post
    I personally wish he would've followed through with the January 1977 recording session, because we could get more great songs out of it.

I do as well but that doesn't have anything to do with ''I honestly love you''

ANOTHER SONG THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING TO HEAR ELVIS SING WAS DOLLY PARTON'S HIT "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU".

Lacker?

Pfffffffftttt!

The song was written by Allen, and it was never intended for Elvis.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

TCB Mafia

Quote from Marty Lacker:

Mike,

Here's an interesting tidbit about I Honestly Love You.

Shortly after Peter Allen wrote the song I was in L.A. on business visiting a
    good friend, Alan Rider, V.P. of Irving/Almo Music, Peter Allen's publishers.

I asked Alan if he had anything new and good that would be good for Elvis, he
    played me the brand new demo Peter Allen had done on the song, this was months
    before Olivia Newton John did it.

I scooped it up and told Alan I'd play it for Elvis at his next session.
    Unfortunately for Elvis neither Felton or Joe told me when the next session was
    to take place and it was done in L.A., without me knowing it.
    So Elvis never got to hear the song before Olivia cut it, when she did, it was
    the hit that made her career and it was too late for Elvis to cut it.

I later found out that Colonel Parker was tired of me giving Elvis songs they
    didn't or couldn't get the publishing on, so he told Felton and Joe not to tell
    me when a session was going to happen. Marty.

TCB Mafia

Lacker?

Pfffffffftttt!

The song was written by Allen, and it was never intended for Elvis.
    who are you to say the stories not true

it's kinda arrogant to say something like that

a nice song...its a song that ws tailor made for olivia....olivias version of this song is the best..nobody sings it better than her..glad she recorded it..and im glad elvis didint touch that song
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

who are you to say the stories not true
    Forty years as a fan gives me the ability to see through the BS, and I am right 99.99999% of the time, especially when info comes from people like Lacker.

Oh, and the fact that Peter Allen never once referred to Elvis about this song, and always made reference to the fact that he wrote it for eventual use by Olivia.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

TCB Mafia

Forty years as a fan gives me the ability to see through the BS, and I am right 99.99999% of the time, especially when info comes from people like Lacker.

Oh, and the fact that Peter Allen never once referred to Elvis about this song, and always made reference to the fact that he wrote it for eventual use by Olivia.
    no one rights all the time

Lacker didn't say he got it from Allen but from one of his publishers

I'll believe what I want and you do the same

Lacker didn't say he got it from Allen but from one of his publishers
    after Peter Allen wrote it to give to Elvis to record
    Uh-huh.

I'll believe what I want and you do the same
    You do that.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

TCB Mafia

Uh-huh.
    I made a mistake in grammar

Lacker says he got the song from one of Peter Allen's publishers
    Allen Ryder shortly after Allen wrote the song

Lacker has nothing to gain by making this up and I think it's wrong for you to automatically assume he's lying

It's arrogant to do that

I made a mistake in grammar

Lacker says he got the song from one of Peter Allen's publishers
    Allen Ryder shortly after Allen wrote the song

Lacker has nothing to gain by making this up and I think it's wrong for you to automatically assume he's lying
    It's arrogant to do that
    Brian IMO everyone has something to gain when it comes to Elvis. The more "inside" someone is suppose to be-the more they are suppose to have in depth inside information that no one else has- helps some to get publishers for new books, interest in new projects, higher speaking fees etc....
    The fact that this is not well known-nor mentioned anywhere else leads to the natural doubt which many could have.
    You said "Elvis was suppose to record this song at the March 72 Hollywood sessions" so right away my question is who says he was suppose to record it? Elvis could not have said he was going to record it-he never heard it.
    Logically thinking, if he never even heard the song because it was never introduced to him at the session-he could not have been suppose to record it. It was never on a list of possible songs for that session-and the only way he would have possibly recorded it-would be if it was at the session as a demo, or a lead sheet. So that part of the story just does not sound correct. IMO
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast