Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes Elvis different?

MissyM

What makes Elvis different?

Than celebs today? Seems to me that the ones nowadays like to live a very grand life-style. Most situate themselves in or near Hollywood and like playing the role of celeb. My gosh some of the houses they own are just enormous. (how can a person use that much house? LOL) And to me there seems to be competition between them. I don't remember Elvis ever seeming like he envied the other stars lifestyle. Do you hear of any of them coming down to the entrance of their grand estates and signing autographs all the time?
    I do believe this is one thing that set him apart from many other popular entertainers.

Also that he spoke to his audience much of the time while performing. His fans meant a lot to him and he made sure they knew it.

Diane

MissyM
    Absolutely Diane!

International Level
    I agree with Diane,plus that he had an amazing voice.I've never thought any other artist has such a wonderful and perfect voice,except maybe Celine Dion.

What makes Elvis different?..... EVERYTHING

Let's see . . .

Name.

Looks.

Voice.

Style.

Persona.

I try not to objectify anyone, but Elvis makes it really, really hard.

EVERYTHING

Elvis came for a humble background.He knew what it was like to have nothing before he became a huge star.I'm sure that his parents also had alot to do with it as well.Elvis loved his fans as well and that usually makes or breaks a star.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

Mad Tigers
    I think what made Elvis different was that he was humble. He knew that his success came from the fans and for that he was eternally grateful.
    Elvis was very concerned that his fans would keep liking him, and for that reason he was always considerate of them. (sometimes too much IMO)

Elvis did hang out with stars (Sammy Davis Jr., Tom Jones, Cary Grant etc), but he said once that he didn't feel at home in Hollywood. I guess he was a very private guy who liked the security of his home.

I think what made Elvis different was his personality. He knew what he had but he didn't flaunt it like stars do today. Plus he shared his wealth. He was very generous to his fans and it was clear to see how much he loved them in return. I bet you'll never see Justin Timberlake jumping off into his audience of fans to give kisses.

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar
    It seems that performing is just a job to most singers these days. THey just stand at a microphone and sing, maybe play guitar, and leave after a while. They never really interact with the audience, and there is just that barrier. Elvis was the audience at his concerts. I got mad at my science teacher when he said "Elvis was really just the first Justin TImberlake, no more." Elvis was not like any other artist!

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post
    Let's see . . .

Name.
    Looks.
    Voice.
    Style.
    Persona.

I try not to objectify anyone, but Elvis makes it really, really hard.
    I don't know if it can said any better than this.......

There wasn't any one quality that made Elvis different. And Elvis didn't have similiar qualities of any other entertainer. Each and every aspect of Elvis was unique and different and that is what makes him so popular, so admired, so often cliche', so often imitated, so well loved, and why he is still such a drawing card even this long after his death.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

SleepyJack
    Because he`s ELVIS !!......It`s still the best answer I can think of after all these years!

I think his name in itself started the ball rolling. Everything else had grown out of it. His characteristics just shrewed around this unique and mythical name and became one with that. I would say the name is the most significant besides everything else. He's totally self-identical with his name.
    Poke a little sock salad...

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    Than celebs today? Seems to me that the ones nowadays like to live a very grand life-style. Most situate themselves in or near Hollywood and like playing the role of celeb. My gosh some of the houses they own are just enormous. (how can a person use that much house? LOL) And to me there seems to be competition between them. I don't remember Elvis ever seeming like he envied the other stars lifestyle. Do you hear of any of them coming down to the entrance of their grand estates and signing autographs all the time?
    I do believe this is one thing that set him apart from many other popular entertainers.
    You Hit the nail right on the head Missy,the word Celebrity means nothing today you only have to be on any "Reality" programe and instantly you are to quote "A Celeb" not a Star, not a great entertainer.
    When Elvis hit the bigtime he had paid his dues, he had played the sock hops, the Clubs the Church socials and State Fairs travelled across the South in beaten up cars.. So when his turn came he was ready, obviously not expecting to be the Phenomenom that he became, so when the nice home came we were all pleased for him he had earned his success, and lavished its rewards on his Parents and himself and never forgetting people less fortunate than himself ie: Gifts of Cars, March of Dimes, cheques for charity etc, etc.

But on a security note in todays political climate I think the mixing with the audience would have stopped, so we should feel lucky that he was able to do these things at the time, todays young crop of so called "Celebs" have one thing in common, rudeness, the $$$ and not giving a C**P about anyone, there are some exeptions but they are in a minority....And Elvis as many of you have said in your posts was Elvis nothing more to it than that!!!....

Trying to tell someone why Elvis was different,is like trying to tell someone that never had a banana before how one tasted.
    Never heard a name like Elvis before ...different
    never heard anyone sing like Elvis...different
    never saw anyone loooking as good and cool as he did...different
    never seen any preformer MOVE that way...different
    I never seen anyone that dressed the way Elvis did...different

It was and still is my answer when asked why do you like Elvis so much?

...all together now!!!! Elvis was different!!
    You Remember That Donach Ya?

Later Elton ^j^

TCB Mafia
    Elvis was UNIQUE in every way. Never again will we witness in this life someone that will even come close to that man.
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

Quote Originally Posted by kathy parkinson View Post
    What makes Elvis different?..... EVERYTHING

I'm agree

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    Elvis was UNIQUE in every way. Never again will we witness in this life someone that will even come close to that man.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Roustabouts
    he wasnt arrogant had a deep respect for his elders always called them sir or miss.didnt flaunt his wealth .and could sing without yelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast