Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aloha Concert question

Aloha Concert question

Why didn't Elvis do Polk Salad Annie for the special since he always sung that during his shows. And why didn't he do Bridge Over Troubled Water instead of something like What Now My Love or Welcome To My World? I like the show but some of the songs don't fit well and should have been left out or replaced.

Re: Aloha Concert question

yeah song list was different...ur right polk salad should of been done and we can name countless other songs he could of done.....elvis was more calm on stage from the usual jumping all ober the place like in 71 72 shows ...... aloha was a more mature performance..eh we cant complain vocally in aloha was outstanding....perfection
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    Why didn't Elvis do Polk Salad Annie for the special since he always sung that during his shows. And why didn't he do Bridge Over Troubled Water instead of something like What Now My Love or Welcome To My World? I like the show but some of the songs don't fit well and should have been left out or replaced.
    By 1973 neither one of those songs was considered a "staple" in his shows anymore, but "What Now My Love" was being done more and more often.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States

Good question.

I've often wondered why certain songs from the period were not included in the show, such as the song you mentioned (Polk Salad Annie), along with How Great Thou Art, Proud Mary, Little Sister/Get Back, You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel, and One Night.

I recall during one of my occasions of seeing Charlie Hodge, he (Charlie) stated that Elvis assigned him the duty of laying out the show. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but I did hear Charlie say this one several occasions.

Perhaps one reason any of these songs weren't included, is because he (Elvis) knew that film had already been made of him performing these songs a few years ago in TTWII and EOT, so perhaps he wanted to showcase some different material for the cameras, which is where songs like "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", "Welcome To My World", "Steamroller Blues", and the medley of "Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin"?

One thing for certain, having "Burning Love" in the #2 spot instead of I Got A Woman was a great move imo, because that song is easily flowed in to after the opener.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

He only did Polk Salad Annie twice in 73. Maybe he just needed a break from it, or maybe it seemed too informal for worldwide television, yet again, the whole year 73 seems more laid back. That could be a reason.

I never did like I Got A Woman especially how it would drag on and on with the wells and the ending. Burning Love was great for a second song for the show. I don't know why he didn't use it more often as his follow up opening number. In the thought of him doing new songs that hadn't been performed live or on video then Big Boss Man and Always On My Mind would have been fantastic songs. One a bluesy rocker and the other a pop ballad. This is how I wished the ALoha show would have gone.

See See Rider
    Burning Love
    Something
    You Gave Me A Mountain
    Steamroller Blues
    Polk Salad Annie
    My Way
    Big Boss Man
    Johnny Be Good
    I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
    Little Sister/Get Back
    Fever
    Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Suspicious Minds
    I'll Remember You
    Always On My Mind
    Rock Medly (Long Tall Sally, Whole Lotta Shakin', Mama Don't Dance, Shake Rattle And Roll, Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog)
    American Trilogy
    Can't Help Falling In Love

I WISH HE A HAD DONE "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER ALSO!! BUT THE SHOW WAS BRILLIANT!!I LOVE "WHAT NOW MY LOVE".

There is a very simple reason ( that has been covered here before I believe) as to why the set list was much different than the 'usual' set list.

It was because EOT had just finished it's run in theaters and they did not want the "Aloha From Hawaii" show to follow the same format as the usual tour show as far as the set list goes.

It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    There is a very simple reason ( that has been covered here before I believe) as to why the set list was much different than the 'usual' set list.

It was because EOT had just finished it's run in theaters and they did not want the "Aloha From Hawaii" show to follow the same format as the usual tour show as far as the set list goes.

It's really that simple.
    OK fair enough. But they could have come up with some better more commericalized material for the show. It's not like he didn't have a large amount of songs to choose from in his catalog.

I think the best Aloha show would've had him put the cape on before "An American Trilogy," and be left on until after he does the part at the end where he spreads the cape, then thrown it into the audience.
    The song list would've been really good as follows (using only songs performed prior to or during the concert).

That's All Right
    I Got A Woman/Amen (like the Hampton Roads concert version)
    Love Me Tender
    You Gave Me A Mountain
    You've Lost That Loving Feeling
    Polk Salad Annie
    Johnny B. Goode
    It's Over
    I Can't Stop Loving You
    What Now My Love?
    I'm Leavin'
    Suspicious Minds
    Intros.
    Burning Love
    It's Now Or Never
    An Anerican Trilogy
    Lawdy Miss Clawdy

or something similar

Quote Originally Posted by memphisflash View Post
    OK fair enough. But they could have come up with some better more commericalized material for the show. It's not like he didn't have a large amount of songs to choose from in his catalog.

I think another reason that Elvis/RCA didn't do this was because they didn't want the television special & album to be similar to the Madison Square Garden album.

Quote Originally Posted by elvispresleytheking View Post
    I think the best Aloha show would've had him put the cape on before "An American Trilogy," and be left on until after he does the part at the end where he spreads the cape, then thrown it into the audience.
    The song list would've been really good as follows (using only songs performed prior to or during the concert).

That's All Right
    I Got A Woman/Amen (like the Hampton Roads concert version)
    Love Me Tender
    You Gave Me A Mountain
    You've Lost That Loving Feeling
    Polk Salad Annie
    Johnny B. Goode
    It's Over
    I Can't Stop Loving You
    What Now My Love?
    I'm Leavin'
    Suspicious Minds
    Intros.
    Burning Love
    It's Now Or Never
    An Anerican Trilogy
    Lawdy Miss Clawdy

or something similar
    If you replaced "That's All Right" with "See See Rider," then it would have been perfect.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
    If you replaced "That's All Right" with "See See Rider," then it would have been perfect.
    I agree

but that's All tight was already on the 68 special and MSG albums

I always thought Elvis version of C.C. Rider wasn't as good as the Animals

too vegas for me

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I agree

but that's All tight was already on the 68 special and MSG albums

too vegas for me
    That's All RIght just starts with more energy, and that's why I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

too vegas for me
    They were entirely different, but I have always liked The Animals version too. Of course, I liked most of what The Animals did!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ1udgLq5QU&feature=related"]YouTube - Eric Burdon & Animals - See see rider 1967[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    By 1973 neither one of those songs was considered a "staple" in his shows anymore, but "What Now My Love" was being done more and more often.
    Not quite a fair statement: "By 1973".

PSA was being done regularly from 1970 all through to the end of 1972. It was certainly a staple by the time of the show.

WNML had become a staple since the previous August.

The show was meant to highlight Elvis and his music. And, for all its brilliance, PSA isn't one that many non-fans or casual fans would have associated with him. And many of those casual fans would have been watching. Same with Bridge. Aloha wasn't for the fans, per se, but for the world's viewing public.

There were of course exceptions: Lonesome (probably in a nod to his own country roots) and I'll Remember You (for Kui Lee) and a couple of others.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I think another reason that Elvis/RCA didn't do this was because they didn't want the television special & album to be similar to the Madison Square Garden album.
    Yes Tony. This does seem to the be the theory today. Aloha was to showcase songs that had not previously been released on the MSG or TTWII albums. By 1973, RCA had recorded several 'live' albums so Elvis could fulfill his contract. In fact, in the year of 1974, he didn't record in a studio at all. His recording was only live performances.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    They were entirely different, but I have always liked The Animals version too. Of course, I liked most of what The Animals did!
    YouTube - Eric Burdon & Animals - See see rider 1967
    The Animals does a pretty good job on this tune; however (and there is a thread somewhere about this song), my favorite version of See See Rider is when he first began incorporating it into his show (not the opening song) in February, 1970. His voice is just different, the arrangement is not so overblown and he really rocks!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Not quite a fair statement: "By 1973".

PSA was being done regularly from 1970 all through to the end of 1972. It was certainly a staple by the time of the show.

WNML had become a staple since the previous August.
    I was going by the shows that I saw, after 1971 I only heard PSA once. I did hear BOTW through 1973. I checked, and WNML was done in Vegas in '72 and '73.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man View Post
    Perhaps one reason any of these songs weren't included, is because he (Elvis) knew that film had already been made of him performing these songs a few years ago in TTWII and EOT, so perhaps he wanted to showcase some different material for the cameras...
    Plus there was the album coming out from this show on April '73 and it should not be identical to the MSG live album released just last June so...

I think the change of setlist was OK as he tended to be a little repetitive, plus the change to a more serious performance instead of the all energy performance karate kicks and head banging included of '71-72 was good as we already had seen him doing that in TTWII and EOT, just as to go unplugged and just watch him jam with his guitar was an idea already covered in the '68 special, so the more matture performance was a great choice for a 38 year old superstar, just to show him evolving into something else each year.

My only regret would be that he could have relied more on his own hits, all those great songs that he never perfomed live,(Always on My Mind would have been a killer for these show), instead of all those covers/standars, not that there was anything wrong with that, but, Im just saying.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast