Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok..all you Elvis photo experts..what's the story behind this strange photo??

ok..all you Elvis photo experts..what's the story behind this strange photo??

Does anyone know???...when? where?...
    I know that someone must have some insight..( I don't )
    (I'm thinking 1971...but what's the deal with the pants??..are they part of an original 2 piece concert suit??)....

TCB
    Wade..( HRH )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 72_3.jpg  
    Last edited by howardrobardhughes; 10-19-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    You really have a nose for rare pictures

Elvis is barefoot but the suits looks like a complete jumpsuits.... So I guess it's in Elvis' suite after a small friendly fight with some famous karatefighter. But of course, that's only my guess
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

This picture was posted earlier by Legend.

(In the right section I might add...)

Sonny

Quote Originally Posted by Legend
    General flunkie
    Never seen this one before - very different

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!
    Just found this photo and to my knowledge it has never circulated. Elvis in his "Now suit" standing barefoot with a Karate student.
    Wanted to share it would those who didn't see it. Hope you like it as much as I did
    Sorry...looks like it was posted by LEGEND...in the 1970's candid section..
    I didn't see it there AT FIRST.....
    however...
    I was HOPING to open the photo up for discussion..
    I felt that it was more than a photo..
    but a crucial TOPIC for discussion...
    TCB
    Wade ( HRH)

This pic. is from an Ebay auction of a supposed painting's of EP's.

Not sure what, if any, the connection of the Karate photo is to the item / auction.

Lot of people trying to claim the photo is faked (on various MB's), IMO ............ pic. is real and the inscription on the bottom .......... "Me And My Buddy" is in fact EP's writing.

Short of contacting the owner of the photo for details, ............ any speculation as to the story would be uninformed conjecture.

The pic. has a genuine story to tell.

- Capt. "EL."

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with Albert on this one....perhaps an after-concert get together in Elvis' hotel suite (hence the reason he is in a jumpsuit), where he was showing off his karate skills to his guests (hence the barefeet)!

Sounds like the most logical explanation to me!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

What a great photo, not in the 'Now Suit' though as quoted above, it's a pair of trousers as worn on stage in Vegas circa 1972 and a separate shirt.

Quite possibly after show, and following a change of shirt. Very cool.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    REALLY SPINOUT?

WOW....I thought for sure it was the complete jumpsuit...

I stand corrected!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I don't blame the doubters of this photo. There is something weird about it...but I believe it to be genuine.

Regarding what Elvis is wearing, it does look like the belt from the 'Now' suit, but the thing which points to its not being a jumpsuit is the elastic bands in the upper arms of the shirt. It has to be one of those puffy shirts which he favored in this period--like the red one he wore in the TTWII stage rehearsal.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

The guy on the right is karate champ Jerry C. Piddington. On the ebay auction, it indicates that the guy is L R Wilson - the original owner of the item up for auction. In short, the pic completely undermines the authenticity of the auction item - a 1952 painting suposedly painted by Elvis.

Coming On Strong
    If you look closely you see on the floor those rubbermats they use in sportschools. So I don?t think it is after a show in his suite. Also; the handwriting at the bottom is Elvis? handwriting: ?Me and my buddy?.

Elvis often refered to himself as ?Me?, even sending out letters signed: ?from ?Me? at ?Me? Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee?.

I think this was taken at some karate demonstration in a karate sportschool and sometime later Elvis signed the picture for the guy standing next to Elvis.

What do you all think?

You make a good point Aron, I noticed the flooring was more what you would expect to find in a gym, training studio type scenario.

I guess it is fair to say that Elvis did sometimes wear similar clothes to those which he wore on stage (cisco kid style jacket, penguin suit to name 2 instances), quite possible that this was not taken on a performance day at all.

The additional info that it is very possibly Elvis' own handwriting (as suggested by both Capt. El and yourself), makes this topic all the more interesting.

It would be fascinating to get the 'actual' background on this photo.

(on a side note, I always found it kinda cool the way he turned up to be filmed at the Karate Institute in 1974 wearing a shirt under his Karate Gi, white stage style boots and shades) (h)

Totally Elvis !
    Last edited by spinout-designs; 10-20-2004 at 09:41 AM.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Coming On Strong
    Thanks Spinout,

Very curious if someone can shed some more light on this picture?.

Maybe Ed Parker?.

Quote Originally Posted by AronNL
    Thanks Spinout,

Very curious if someone can shed some more light on this picture?.

Maybe Ed Parker?.
    That would be a little tough. He died in 1990 .

Coming On Strong
    oops ....missed that fact....then again....I am a fan since 1989

my humble apologies :worthy:

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Almost certainly a two piece outfit from 1972, there are many pictures of Elvis wearing this kind of outfit throughout 1972 click here

The picture below looks like the same kind of style worn in the karate picture elastic rubber bands on the upper arms and frilly cuffs etc.

As mention earlier in the thread Elvis could have worn these as street ware, they were probably more like his everyday clothes than the jumpsuits!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two Piece 1972.jpg   Image1.jpg  

If this is Jerry C. Piddington or not, I have no idea ( who was a well known karate tournament fighter in the late sixties and early seventies).

However, whoever he is, he a member of Ed Parker's organization (note the patch), and he is wearing a second-degree brown belt (two grades away from first degree black belt).

Again, I have no idea where the photo was taken, but seeing EP is bootless, I guess he may have been doing a bit of impromtu training with this fellow; as EP often did.
    Last edited by jadedragon61; 01-28-2007 at 02:51 PM.

This Elvis Pic

You all have me very intrigued with this thread. I think the pic is very cool. To get more background on it and what he's wearing would be great.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Another thread from the past

I looked at the picture and it sparked my memory a little, whatever the occasion there was more than one picture taken at this event?

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Wow Matt, that is an awesome quality picture. Man Elvis looks so darn cool .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast