Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Jumpsuits

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishthistle
    ..impersonators are a prime example of that they look stupid..what he wore just looked so right on him..so sexy I love ALL the jumpsuits.
    Why do impersonators always seem to go for the jumpsuit era?

Is it because they are under some illusion that by wearing it they are 99% on target to a good impersonation?

I've seen some on TV and they were all rubbish.

Happy listening - to the real thing of course.

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbi
    Why do all you people try to project your fantasies on what Elvis should have looked like. He was a human being of his time . He changed with the times. Everybody had long hair and sideburns in the 70's (just take a look at your fathers or grandfathers's photo's from the 70's). Everybody wore flashy clothes in the 70's as well, even off stage.
    I wasn't aware that I was projecting a fantasy, it was merely an opinion about the 'jumpsuits' nothing more. Not everybody had long hair and flashy clothes in the 70's. Elvis may have changed with the times but he was a leader of fashion not a follower.

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    You must always keep in mind the purpose of the stage-suits / capes / belts / rings / necklaces -------> to create a larger than life image of the Man while on-stage.

I believe Elvis already had a larger than life image long before the 70's stage attire. IMHO.

International Level
    Although I agree Elvis was and still is the only man in history who could get away with wearing the jumpsuits, simply because of the way he was built (wide, straight shoulders, slim hips and long legs - the slim hips of course mainly in the early seventies ), my preference goes to the simpler designs of the early seventies. Not too many rhinestones or applications. One solid color, fringes (preferably short, the long fringes weren't practical), skin tight.
    Some of the later designs had too much going on, to my taste. That may have started out to deflect from the growing paunch, but in the end he only attracted more attention to his figure that way (especially with the sun dial suit in 1977 ).

But I don't really have a real "fave" look for Elvis. He always looked "Elvis", one of a kind. :worthy: He always was the trendsetter in each decade with a uniqueness that people tried to copy, but never succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Although I agree Elvis was and still is the only man in history who could get away with wearing the jumpsuits, simply because of the way he was built (wide, straight shoulders, slim hips and long legs - the slim hips of course mainly in the early seventies ), my preference goes to the simpler designs of the early seventies. Not too many rhinestones or applications. One solid color, fringes (preferably short, the long fringes weren't practical), skin tight.
    I agree completely. Elvis looked sooo good in the early 70's suits!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chain.JPG   sleek.JPG  

TCB Mafia
    elvis always looked good

i prefer the jumpsuits with alot of colors and stuff. they're absolutely stunnig. so beautiful detailed. wow they're amazing :worthy:

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    As my log on name suggests, I love Jumpsuits, but I don't think they should sum up Elvis! the voice does 80% of that for me with all the other parts making the total

I think you can see how Elvis changed In 1971 the jumpsuits became more detailed, Elvis also wore more jewelry and this reflected on the stage attire.

If you were lucky enough to see Elvis on stage and in the first few rows you would be able to see his face, further back it would be the Jumpsuit that caught your eye and I think thats why they became more flashy. In part showmanship and stage persona and also they became a signature and people expected to see new and more impressive suits and so the circle continued to the last.

impersonators are in part to blame for the way that Elvis is percieved today, it seems that if you are overweight and over 40 you should wear a jumpsuit and belt out songs and wear glasses (Which Elvis rarely did on stage).

Looking back to the 70's yes clothes do date and to a degree this can be a problem, people seem to link the overweight Elvis to the Jumpsuits when there are some periods even when Elvis was little overwieght that he looks great, for instance the Black Phoenix Jumpsuit looks fantastic, simple and plain with no stones etc & no design on the sleeves.

To me the 70's stage attire is Elvis at his most expressive clothes wise, this was reflected in his personal life, not many people could carry off this image and nor should they. Which came first, the jumpsuit or the flairs/bell bottoms?

I know this era is not to everyones taste but it builds up a rich tapestry that had be woven throughout Elvis' whole life, if you go back to the 50's there is the gold lame' suit OTT at the time of wearing it, it was surely a taste of things to come!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12