Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jumpsuits

Mad Tigers

The Jumpsuits

I didn't particularly like the jumpsuits. I thought the 68' look of a normal type suit and black leathers plus the shorter (off the ears) hairstyle suited the 'King' better.

Anyone else not keen on the jumpsuits? I accept of course that in showmanship terms they were a striking alternative.

Coming On Strong
    Stillrockin, I'm with you. I mean, I love Elvis, in every decade, no matter what he wore and how he looked, but the leather suit and shorter hair is just my favorite look. I think there are ALOT of 70's fans on this board though, so you might have really started something! LOL!
    Before Elvis, there was nothing....

Backstage Pass
    I tend to agree too- although some of the earlier ones (69/70) were cool, and I liked the shirt/suit jacket combo's that he wore in '72.......I absolutely hate the ones with the big puffy sleeves (from '75ish?)

...was there not talk of a lazer suit that was being designed round about the time he died?

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I love the jumpsuits......

When Elvis turned 40, no big projects on the horizon, no wife, dealing with health and emotional problems, he decided to experiment with jumpsuits. So he started to waer the 2-piece suits.

Unfortunately he returned to the jumpsuits. Big mistake. HUGE mistake. Although he had his moments in the jumpsuits, they didn't fit a 40+, heavier Elvis.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

The jumpsuits were cool in the 70's and only EP - then & now - can carry the look off.

I loved them all (with a few design exceptions) and some are simply incredible.

They are much, much more impressive in real life than photos can ever convey. You must always keep in mind the purpose of the stage-suits / capes / belts / rings / necklaces -------> to create a larger than life image of the Man while on-stage.

Mission accomplished.

The jumpsuits are derided because they are worn by every freak imitator under the Sun who have now made them into a cliche ................ and MYTH has overtaken reality.

Even the last Sundial jumpsuit was impressive in-person on EP.

- Capt. "EL."

Quote Originally Posted by stillrockin
    I didn't particularly like the jumpsuits. I thought the 68' look of a normal type suit and black leathers plus the shorter (off the ears) hairstyle suited the 'King' better.

Anyone else not keen on the jumpsuits? I accept of course that in showmanship terms they were a striking alternative.
    Why do all you people try to project your fantasies on what Elvis should have looked like. He was a human being of his time . He changed with the times. Everybody had long hair and sideburns in the 70's (just take a look at your fathers or grandfathers's photo's from the 70's). Everybody wore flashy clothes in the 70's as well, even off stage.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Very well said, Captain.

Abbi, I agree with you, but people are entitled to have certain preferences. You're right though that sometimes people forget about the times and claim that Elvis' look back then was dated or out of touch.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

just my opinion but i've always thought that elvis looked his best in a jumpsuit i personally love everyone of the jumpsuits that he wore, to me they don't look a bit outdated,even today,not everyone will agree but what a dull world if we all liked or disliked the same things. 70s elvis in a jumpsuit rocks

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbi
    Why do all you people try to project your fantasies on what Elvis should have looked like. He was a human being of his time . He changed with the times. Everybody had long hair and sideburns in the 70's (just take a look at your fathers or grandfathers's photo's from the 70's). Everybody wore flashy clothes in the 70's as well, even off stage.
    i agree 100%

well i really love the jumpsuits. all of them. i find them very fascinating. every single one of them is unique. even if you think that not all of them are that pretty they still are unique because they're a part of elvis and he is unique
    i especially like the ones with alot of colors :worthy:
    and noone could wear them like elvis did. they look fantastic on him
    once i wanted one myself now i dont know...but to try and wear one could be fun though

Backstage Pass
    I love the jumpsuits and I think that is one of the images that will live with Elvis eternally.
    However, I agree he should have chosen something less flashy and less revealing for his 40+ body
    rick
    rick

Thumbs up

Oooh! stillrockin! i really don't agree with you on this one. That whole jumpsuit thing was Elvis style and if anyone else where to wear what he did back then it would'nt look right..impersonators are a prime example of that they look stupid..what he wore just looked so right on him..so sexy I love ALL the jumpsuits.
    Elvis grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by rick
    he should have chosen something less flashy and less revealing for his 40+ body
    rick
    what are u talking about? lol the more revealing the better right Elvisgirl? lol

Cool Nobody else could have

I am not a big fan of the jumpsuits but only Elvis could wear them. I think with most people it is not what you wear it is how you wear it Elvis had the stance with which to wear such a fashion item and although many others could have done it too none were quite so brave and daring as Elvis as we saw in his early life and I admire him for that... we were born individuals and that how we should stay....way to go

love and peace,
    Susan
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

TCB Mafia
    I love the Jumpsuit look....it was 70's Elvis :worthy: :worthy: The whole image of the man during the 70's was awesome.

I don't know who thought of it...Elvis himself i would guess...but it sure worked. He looked like the Legend that he had become. All the flashy suits...the jewellry....he had the audience in the palm of his hand as soon as he entered the stage.

I agree that he moved with the times....take a look at alot of the stars of the 70's....they weren't too different....but only Elvis had THE look. Who else could you instantly recognise without even seeing his face ?

I think that he moved on from the 60's in a perfect way....awesome though he did look in the leather suit in 1968...i would still go for the jumpsuit look. It was the finished article. (h)
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishthistle
    what are u talking about? lol the more revealing the better right Elvisgirl? lol
    OH YEAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elvisgirl
    OH YEAH!!!
    I knew you would agree with me on that one!

TCB Mafia

elvis without jumpsuit is like soup without salt ... I love all his jumpsuit..

Backstage Pass
    lol- not only was Elvis the king of rock and roll, he was also the king of bling with all the jewelery he wore- todays rappers should take note!

I would say that jumpsuits were a little too much , but, then again, how the hell to say No to this:

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I love jumpsuits!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast