Thread: Graceland

Mad Tigers

Graceland

I last toured 'Graceland' in 1998. I intend to visit again during 2005 and was wondering if there has been any significant changes to the Plaza or general area. Thank goodness we have the live webcams. Wish there was one covering the gates. Can't wait to be in Memphis again, a magical place for sure.

Graceland and it's immediate grounds are indeed "magical", but ................ a block in either direction ............ will bring you back to reality quickly.

The webcam that used to focus on the Graceland Gates was re-directed, because protesters / *****s were holding up signs in front of it ............ making "statements." Another indicator / reminder as to how that "magic" stops at the gates.

Kinda sad, because .............. if it weren't for this .............. I'd probably return a lot more than I do or desire. Some of my visits were 6 years apart and I noticed a very sharp decline in the area between the two.

For a pleasurable trip, nowadays, ........... I'd visit the Graceland area during the day, but choose elsewhere out-of-town to stay (if necessary).

Interesting side-note: I never really had any problems (because I'm an alert kind of guy), but I would be less than honest if I didn't say that ............... I was a bit uncomfortable at times. One annoying thing I remember was when I went to visit BMH ........ walking around taking it all in ......... and was followed around / bothered by a pan-handler; since I was in a good mood at the time, I threw her a couple bucks just to leave me alone and stop telling her bizarre Elvis stories.

Memphis is great and it is definitely something that I had to completely take-in so as to satisfy my hardcore EP curiosity cravings.

- Capt. "EL."

PS - Don't forget Tupelo, ............ it is also essential.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stillrockin
    I last toured 'Graceland' in 1998. I intend to visit again during 2005 and was wondering if there has been any significant changes to the Plaza or general area. Thank goodness we have the live webcams. Wish there was one covering the gates. Can't wait to be in Memphis again, a magical place for sure.
    I am not 100% sure when the new attractions around Graceland opened up, but between my very first visit in 1986 to my last trip for ELVIS WEEK in 2000, I was quite amazed at the differences. The HEARTBREAK HOTEL restaurant was closed, and the newer restaurants opened up (Shake, Split & Dip and Rockabilly's Diner), but the Chrome Grille was still there. Of course, between my visits, the HEARTBREAK HOTEL opened up behind the plaza. While I didn't stay there, I did walk through the lobby and it was very nice.

Back in '86, Elvis' assortment of cars, motorcycles and other "play" vehicles were still kept out back of the house in the carport....I was MOST PLEASED to see that EPE moved them out of the elements down to the new Automobile Museum across the street in the plaza.

On my most recent trip in 2000, EPE was working on the new annex that they opened near the Jungle Room...although I didn't get to see it when I was there, I've heard from several people that it is a nice new addition to the tour, with several cool exhibits!

I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe that there is currently construction going on next to Graceland (perhaps where the church used to be, or maybe next to it?) with another hotel being constructed? Does anyone have more information on this?

The sad news is that ELVIS PRESLEY'S MEMPHIS is closed. I was fortunate enough to have a couple of meals there and to see The Imperials perform there during my trip in 2000. It's truly a shame that EPE closed it down....it was a VERY COOL place to visit when in Memphis!

Hope some of this information helped you out Stillrockin!! HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!