Thread: Better live than studio ?

Better live than studio ?

I'd like your thoughts on whether you think there are some songs El did better in concert, than the studio versions....a couple spring to mind for me...suspicious minds + burning love.
    How about you guys ?

TCB Mafia
    The ones that spring to mind at once are.....

How Great Thou Art...always appeals more to me live...even though i do like the studio version.

One Night.....not all versions of course...but some where our El goes for it vocally...superb

Hurt....once again...not all versions...but when he gave his all...there is nothing better live.

Burning Love....i agree...on occasions this is superb live....i happen to really like the version from March 1976..Running For president...

No doubt i will think of more as soon as i finish writing this

There are a few more that are equally as impressive such as My Boy...and Its Midnight....shame that he didn't do more live versions....

I actually prefer the studio version of Suspicious Minds...but thats just personal taste....
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

i agree..most of elvis songs are better in live concert...that goes to How Great Thou Art...Heartbreak Hotel...T-R-O-U-B-L-E...Help Me.. Bridge Over Trouble Water.. and Thats All Right.

The first ones to pop in my mind are, Polk Salad Annie and Patch it up. They have more 'spirit' live imo.

Some good choices there guys....id forgot about How great....yeh wow !
    i also prefer Mystery train..especially linked with tigerman....hey nice choice annie....but did El have a studio Salad
    Tell you what i didnt know untill recent...he did a studio My way....yep its true !

no, not that I know, but somehow it popped in my mind, maybe it is age related

TCB Mafia
    love me tender, i got a woman, love me, cant help falling in love, heartbreak hotel, fever, why me lord, how great thou art

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    AWESOME QUESTION DENNYELVIS!!!

As for your thoughts on BURNING LOVE and SUSPICIOUS MINDS....I have to agree with you on SUSPICIOUS MINDS, depending on the version. I have always enjoyed the longer live versions of SUSPICIOUS MINDS from 1969 & 1970 (especially '69), but as the years went on Elvis tended to rush through this song more, which really didn't appeal to me. So, as long as we're talking about a version of SUSPICIOUS MINDS from 1969 or 1970, then I have to agree with you that he did it MUCH BETTER live than in the studio!

As for BURNING LOVE, unfortunately I have to disagree with you on this one....no matter which version I've listened to, I just can't seem to find one where it sounds better than the studio version. Most of the time, Elvis just seems to either rush through BURNING LOVE or just appears to be uninterested in performing it (and it has been well documented that Elvis didn't care for BURNING LOVE...he didn't even want to record it, but was coaxed into it). So, in this case, I have to say BURNING LOVE sounds better in the studio!

Other songs that I think Elvis performed better live than in the studio are:

HELP ME - This is my TOP CHOICE for better sounding live than in the studio....he just sounds so uninterested in this song on the studio version, in my opinion. But he almost always gave this song everything he had when he performed it live!

MY WAY - Of course, we only have (so far) the one previously unreleased studio version of this song, but ANY version performed live is better than this REALLY uninspired studio version, in my opinion!

HURT - Close call on this one, but in concert he really seems to give the ending just a little more punch, if you will.

PATCH IT UP - DEFINITELY rocks more on the live version than the studio recording!

AND I LOVE YOU SO - While the studio version is definitely done very well, I just think he gives the live versions a little something extra which make them more appealing (to me, anyway!). Plus, the tempo is a bit faster in concert, which again works better for this song, in my opinion.

FAIRYTALE - It's almost like 2 different songs when comparing the studio version of FAIRYTALE and the live version....while the studio version has a definitive country flavor, the live performances of this song have a much more "rock" sound, again in my opinion!!!

I'll probably think of others, but for now, these are the ones that stand out most in my mind!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT QUESTION DENNYELVIS!!! :worthy:

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Well THANK YOU ALL for your great replys ! and yes Mike we are talking about 70/71 suspicious minds...and on reflection you could be right about Burning....i rewatched it on Aloha to make sure...and he does seem somewhat bored and sprinting through it.
    I think its true also to say that some of his LIVE songs just wouldnt be the same if he contained himself in a studio cut. To give you an example of what i mean .....TRILOGY......WHAT NOW MY LOVE .... YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN...see what i mean ! im sure you can give us a some of yours that HAD TO BE LIVE !

Thumbs up Great Live.

I have to say that I prefer Elvis singing "Hurt" live than the studio version. Also "How Great Thou Art" live is just breathtaking.The song "I will remember you" on stage is so moving with the passion Elvis sings it is just amazing.The best ones have to be for me "American Trilogy" and "My Way".I personally am not keen on Elvis doing his earlier songs live since his voice got stronger as he got older and it some how does not work for me.

Great topic :)

love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

to me the live versions of his '70 season are so **** good,ex. You don't have to say you love me and Patch it up...so much better than the studio versions...
    Later i prefer Hurt and How great thou art.....so much more feeling live...
    certenly suspicious minds(1970) always better live

mhhhhm...It's now or never-O sole mio...for example...though...who knows-both versions are good....And Hound dog...the fast concert version-WAHHHHHHHH

Backstage Pass
    I'd opt for Hurt, Where No One Stands Alone.

I never thought he bettered Burning Love, Promised Land, Suspicious Minds or TROUBLE after the original studio versions.
    rick
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis
    Well THANK YOU ALL for your great replys ! and yes Mike we are talking about 70/71 suspicious minds...and on reflection you could be right about Burning....i rewatched it on Aloha to make sure...and he does seem somewhat bored and sprinting through it.
    I think its true also to say that some of his LIVE songs just wouldnt be the same if he contained himself in a studio cut. To give you an example of what i mean .....TRILOGY......WHAT NOW MY LOVE .... YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN...see what i mean ! im sure you can give us a some of yours that HAD TO BE LIVE !
    THAT'S COOL THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT EARLY CONCERT VERSIONS OF "SUSPICIOUS MINDS" DENNYELVIS!!!

I agree with you 100% that songs like TRILOGY, WHAT NOW MY LOVE and YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN would not have come off nearly as well when done in a studio setting! In the case of these songs with the dramatic style endings, I really think Elvis fed off the energy of the audience...the more the audience got into the song, the more power and passion Elvis put into the song! That type of interaction is obviously missing when recording in the studio, hence the thought that you had, about these songs and how they wouldn't have been nearly as powerful when done in the studio! (h)

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by EP4MEUK
    I have to say that I prefer Elvis singing "Hurt" live than the studio version. Also "How Great Thou Art" live is just breathtaking.The song "I will remember you" on stage is so moving with the passion Elvis sings it is just amazing.The best ones have to be for me "American Trilogy" and "My Way".I personally am not keen on Elvis doing his earlier songs live since his voice got stronger as he got older and it some how does not work for me.

Great topic

love and peace,
    Susan.
    GOOD CALL SUSAN!!!

I never thought about I'LL REMEMBER YOU!! That one is definitely done better live, than in the studio!! (h)

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rick
    I never thought he bettered Burning Love, Promised Land, Suspicious Minds or TROUBLE after the original studio versions.
    rick
    Vocally he didn't. For excitement, I suppose there are live versions of Suspicious Minds that have the edge, but that tends to be because of the way the song builds and the repetition of the lyric. As for T.R.O.U.B.L.E and Promised Land, the studio versions are the definitive performances.

Hurt is getting a lot of mentions, but I think that vocally Elvis delivers a better performance in the studio. It's true that he would often cut loose more on the ending on live versions, but the overall tone and care taken throughout the WHOLE song give the studio version the edge.

How Great Thou Art live is taken up to the key of C from the studio version which is in B flat. It benefits from this and I think a lot of live versions are better.

I think Love Me Tender (68 special version only) and Bridge over Troubled Water (especially TTWII version) are other songs performed better live. There are a lot of songs where the live version equals but doesn't eclipse the studio performance, including My Boy and Green Green Grass of Home.