Thread: Light Bulbs

TCB Mafia
    A guy i work with was reading a magazine about so called 'weird' Superstars and their antics. ( not sure which magazine..i will ask him, unless anyone here knows)

Anyhow, in the magazine they quote that elvis used to fill up his swimming pool with light bulbs and use them for target practice.

Not a story i have heard, so wondered if any of you had heard the same story?
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Coming On Strong
    Originally posted by NightRider@Apr 16 2004, 07:57 PM
    A guy i work with was reading a magazine about so called 'weird' Superstars and their antics. ( not sure which magazine..i will ask him, unless anyone here knows)

Anyhow, in the magazine they quote that elvis used to fill up his swimming pool with light bulbs and use them for target practice.

It might have been light bulbs, but I thought it was flash cubes (is that what they used to be called?) for a camera. It was in the Revelations book, if I remember correctly. They had a great time until they realized they had to clean it up afterwards.

Lisa
    If never I met you
    I'd never have seen you cry
    If not for our first "Hello"
    We'd never have to say goodbye...

TCB Mafia
    Originally posted by LisaMarie+Apr 16 2004, 08:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LisaMarie @ Apr 16 2004, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NightRider@Apr 16 2004, 07:57 PM
    A guy i work with was reading a magazine about so called &#39;weird&#39;&nbsp; Superstars and their antics. ( not sure which magazine..i will ask him, unless anyone here knows)

It might have been light bulbs, but I thought it was flash cubes (is that what they used to be called?) for a camera. It was in the Revelations book, if I remember correctly. They had a great time until they realized they had to clean it up afterwards.

Lisa [/b][/quote]
    Thanks Lisa,

Hadn&#39;t heard the story before....though they might have been telling Porky&#39;s
    TCB Chris.

Yeah I&#39;ve heard that story told before on at least one documentary. I believe Lisa is right when she says camera flash bulbs/cubes. It sounded more like a one off rather than a regular pass time though if i recall correctly

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

In 1987,the bbc did a 2 part doc,called presley,and the story on that was he filled his pool with LIGHT BULBS,and shot at them with an 22.(uk-air rifle)spent 2/3 days at this,do it for an hour or so,then when he was in the mood again,out with the the 22.and of he would go

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

Twisted myth = Light Bulbs.

Reality = Small Camera Cube Flash-Bulbs.

When shot, they "FLASHED" in a brilliant display of LIGHT. Hence, the reason they did it.

A one-time event that, like a number of other EP-associated stories, .... has blossomed into a myth of its own. Myths always contain kernels of truth.

Nothing "weird" about it, IMO. Just some harmless fun, expept for the poor Graceland Groundsman having to do the clean-up. I can assure you, EP certainly did not have to do any of the clean-up .........

- Capt. "EL."

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Richard Davis claimed to have had that chore. As he recalled:

There was one time...we went to Beverly Hills and bought out three photo shops of all their flashbulbs--every bulb in all three stores--and then bought half a dozen BB guns. We went back to the house, threw the flashbulbs in the swimming pool, where they floated, and then started shooting. Every time we hit one, it would explode and sink. We did that three nights running. It took me two solid days to clean the pool afterward, but it was worth it.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@Apr 17 2004, 09:03 AM
    Richard Davis claimed to have had that chore.&nbsp; As he recalled:

There was one time...we went to Beverly Hills and bought out three photo shops of all their flashbulbs--every bulb in all three stores--and then bought half a dozen BB guns.&nbsp; We went back to the house, threw the flashbulbs in the swimming pool, where they floated, and then started shooting.&nbsp; Every time we hit one, it would explode and sink.&nbsp; We did that three nights running.&nbsp; It took me two solid days to clean the pool afterward, but it was worth it.
    Thanks for that clarification.

California Esate, not Graceland .......... & ............

I had forgotten that the various MMM&#39;s duties included various janitorial tasks, at times.

LOL&#33;&#33;

Not sure I would want to swim in that pool after that. though.

Those darn myths are pesty things, aren&#39;t they&#33;

- Capt. "EL."

Nice story, didn&#39;t know that

great to get to the bottom of this story,unlike the mess at the bottom of the pool .

KEV
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    In a book of one of Elvis&#39; secretaries, she told about the many "gun-adventures" Elvis and his M&M friends used to have. I believe that this particular light-bulb story is also mentioned in her book.

By the way, doesn&#39;t it make you angry when things like this and his "shooting up TV&#39;s hobby" are completely blown up in the media, like he became some kind of whacko weirdo?

I mean, if you read those things, it really sounds pretty harmless compared to all the things todays popstars do (during touring). Are there any stories about smashed up hotelrooms where Elvis stayed? I haven&#39;t read a single story about that. So all in all, I think Elvis was a much more decent person than a regular popstar nowadays.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

TCB Mafia
    Yes, it seems that the only way Elvis is mentioned nowadays is if it is connected to anything other than music. Or the contribution he gave to music.

I didn&#39;t mind that the story was true,sounded quite fun, especially if you didn&#39;t have to clean up afterwards . I was just suprised i hadn&#39;t heard it before.

I&#39;m always reading something about Elvis at work...but hadn&#39;t come accross that particular tale before.
    TCB Chris.

Coming On Strong
    Originally posted by Captain Elwood David@Apr 17 2004, 07:07 AM
    Twisted myth = Light Bulbs.

Reality = Small Camera Cube Flash-Bulbs.

When shot, they "FLASHED" in a brilliant display of LIGHT.&nbsp; Hence, the reason they did it.

A one-time event that, like a number of other EP-associated stories, .... has blossomed into a myth of its own.&nbsp; Myths always contain kernels of truth.

Nothing "weird" about it, IMO.&nbsp; Just some harmless fun, expept for the poor Graceland Groundsman having to do the clean-up.&nbsp; I can assure you, EP certainly did not have to do any of the clean-up .........&nbsp;

- Capt. "EL."
    Thank you Capt. "EL"&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I was hoping I was remembering correctly&#33;&#33;

Lisa
    If never I met you
    I'd never have seen you cry
    If not for our first "Hello"
    We'd never have to say goodbye...

Cadillac King
    Albert wrote .
    I mean, if you read those things, it really sounds pretty harmless compared to all the things todays popstars do (during touring). Are there any stories about smashed up hotelrooms where Elvis stayed? I haven&#39;t read a single story about that. So all in all, I think Elvis was a much more decent person than a regular popstar nowadays
    There was the story of E shooting up the Hilton ceiling in Vegas ..and also the (in)famous one of him just missing Linda with a bullet while she was in the Bathroom .... but we got to remember this was a man who was almost a prisoner and needed to keep himself occupied entertained.

In my book that was not anything to do with decency - which certainly was /is not the case of some specimens -living their abnormal life -which you can see on TV almost daily.
    jb

Lisa, .......... I misremembered some details of the story. Such is myth.

Haven&#39;t re-read the story for YEARS.

Agreed with all, ........... EP&#39;s antics were harmless by today&#39;s standards.

Much of the myth has grown way out of proportion & become something much more sinister than reality every was.

There are many other examples, some far worse.

The image "Joe Public" has of EP, IMO, is 90% + pure myth (most of it negative).

Positive myth is a double edged sword ---&#62; there is always a negative side to go with.

- Capt. "EL."

Yeah, he was pretty tame considering many of todays stars. Shooting the flash bulbs would have been great, but I wonder who was the first person to try out the pool afterwards&#33;

I find shooting out the TV sets more of a &#39;pop star&#39; excess. Wouldn&#39;t the TV screen explode?

Apparently one of the TV sets, complete with shattered screen, is on display at Graceland. Did they really save one of them? I would have thought they were all disposed of and replaced.

Who knows - perhaps we&#39;ll see one of the flash bulbs on eBay... complete with certificate of authenticity&#33;
    Too much monkey business for me to be involved in

Originally posted by Scatter@Apr 18 2004, 10:18 AM
    Apparently one of the TV sets, complete with shattered screen, is on display at Graceland. Did they really save one of them? I would have thought they were all disposed of and replaced.

Who knows - perhaps we&#39;ll see one of the flash bulbs on eBay... complete with certificate of authenticity&#33;
    I thought it was cool to finally see the real thing, after always reading / hearing about those infamous events so much.

Apparently, Vernon rarely got rid of anything. Maybe that&#39;s why a set or two has managed to survive thru the years.

- Capt. "EL."

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Originally posted by Captain Elwood David@Apr 17 2004, 03:17 AM
    Not sure I would want to swim in that pool after that though.
    I&#39;ve always thought that too. It seems like they would need to drain the pool to really be safe.

Safe...of course we are talking about people who would shoot Roman candles at each other, LOL&#33;
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@Apr 19 2004, 06:36 AM
    Safe...of course we are talking about people who would shoot Roman candles at each other, LOL&#33;
    OUCH&#33;&#33;

That has always been one scary thought to consider.

- Capt. "EL."