Thread: Elvis Presley Named One of The Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone Magazine

Loving elvis

Elvis Presley Named One of The Greatest Singers of All Time by Rolling Stone Magazine

There is a difference between people who sing and those who take that voice to another, otherworldly place, who create a euphoria within themselves. It's transfiguration. I know about that. And having met Elvis, I know he was a transformer.

The first Elvis song I heard was "Hound Dog." I wasn't equipped with any of the knowledge I have now, about the Big Mama Thornton version or where all that swing was coming from. I just heard this voice, and it was absolutely, totally in its own place. The voice was confident, insinuating and taking no prisoners. He had those great whoops and diving moments, those sustains that swoop down to the note like a bird of prey. I took all that in. You can hear that all over Led Zeppelin.

When I met Elvis with Zeppelin, after one of his concerts in the early Seventies, I sized him up. He wasn't quite as tall as me. But he had a singer's build. He had a good chest — that resonator. And he was driven. "Anyway You Want Me" is one of the most moving vocal performances I've ever heard. There is no touching "Jailhouse Rock" and the stuff recorded at the King Creole sessions. I can study the Sun sessions as a middle-aged guy looking back at a bloke's career and go, "Wow, what a great way to start." But I liked the modernity of the RCA stuff. "I Need Your Love Tonight" and "A Big Hunk o' Love" were so powerful — those sessions sounded like the greatest place to be on the planet.

At that meeting, Jimmy Page joked with Elvis that we never soundchecked — but if we did, all I wanted to do was sing Elvis songs. Elvis thought that was funny and asked me, "Which songs do you sing?" I told him I liked the ones with all the moods, like that great country song "Love Me" — "Treat me like a fool/Treat me mean and cruel/But love me." So when we were leaving, after a most illuminating and funny 90 minutes with the guy, I was walking down the corridor. He swung 'round the door frame, looking quite pleased with himself, and started singing that song: "Treat me like a fool. . . ." I turned around and did Elvis right back at him. We stood there, singing to each other.

By then, because of the forces around him, it was difficult for him to stretch out with more contemporary songwriters. When he died, he was 42. I'm 18 years older than that now. But he didn't have many fresh liaisons to draw on — his old pals weren't going to bring him the new gospel. I know he wanted to express more. But what he did was he made it possible for me, as a singer, to become otherworldly.

source:http://www.rollingstone.com/news/cov...singers/page/3

who the heck cares about rolling stones mag.they cant even get it right.. one of the grestest?...correction he was the greatest singer of all time..and greatest onstage performer of all time
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

It seems like RollingStone is kissing tail because they know that their recent poll got some Elvis fans P.O.'ed!

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    who the heck cares about rolling stones mag.they cant even get it right.. one of the grestest?...correction he was the greatest singer of all time..and greatest onstage performer of all time
    What is wrong with you, this is a great bit of an article by Robert Plant talking about Elvis influence on his own singing and about their first meeting. Thanks for sharing it Presley 31

About Elvis being at number 3 and not 1, well, there is no such thing as "The Greatest" singer ever, its all about perspectives, thats theirs, you might have your opinion, there is nothing like the definitive ultimate true about it, it relative to where their standing.

Aretha and Ray, well Elvis himself would have admitted that they are both superb singers, and that trying to define one as the greatest would always be sort of shortening the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    What is wrong with you, this is a great bit of an article by Robert Plant talking about Elvis influence on his own singing and about their first meeting. Thanks for sharing it Presley 31

About Elvis being at number 3 and not 1, well, there is no such thing as "The Greatest" singer ever, its all about perspectives, thats theirs, you might have your opinion, there is nothing like the definitive ultimate true about it, it relative to where their standing.

Aretha and Ray, well Elvis himself would have admitted that they are both superb singers, and that trying to define one as the greatest would always be sort of shortening the others.
    nothing is wrong with me.....thats my opinion ......shortening to other singers no....elvis was the greatest singer of all time ...simple as that..as 4 rolling stone mag they sucka elvis is second to none
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 11-20-2008 at 06:31 AM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Loving elvis
    I really enjoyed this article and robert planet story was good to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post

Agree!!!!!
    Itīs a thing taste. But undoubtedly serious Elvis the number 1 in the category of voice with many emotion. Nobody overcomes it. Aretha has an insuperable voice tecnique, Ray is a genius and Elvis is the emotion.

"I am now a central part
    Of your mindīs landscape
    Wheter you care or do not
    Yeah, Iīve made up your mind"

Backstage Pass
    It's nice to see someone other than Bono writing about Elvis.

And I thought this was interesting:

"I can study the Sun sessions as a middle-aged guy looking back at a bloke's career and go, "Wow, what a great way to start." But I liked the modernity of the RCA stuff."

A nice change from the Elvis went downhill after Sun theme.

Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    nothing is wrong with me.....thats my opinion ......shortening to other singers no....elvis was the greatest singer of all time ...simple as that..as 4 rolling stone mag they sucka elvis is second to none
    Man this is not about Rolling Stone or Elvis been on whatever position, is about a good Elvis article from Robert Plan himself!!! An article form a musician, form a singer about another singer, that should be interesting anyhow.

In my opinion there is no such thing as the greatest singer of all time, that is simplifying things a lot, how can you compare Elvis, Billie Holiday and Pavarotti on the same line? there are though a few greatest no matter on what perspective you analyze, and Elvis of course should be there.It is here on the list no matter how.

Yes, if the list would have said say the greatest Rock, or greatest Pop singers Elvis should be at no.1 no matter how.

Quote Originally Posted by javierTCB View Post
    Agree!!!!!
    Aretha has an insuperable voice tecnique, Ray is a genius and Elvis is the emotion.
    Beautiful.