Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 best album titles

Top 5 best album titles

What's your favorite top 5 album titles for an Elvis release by RCA from 56 to present. Here's mine:

1.That's The Way It Is
    2.An Afternoon In The Garden
    3.Second To None
    4.Promised Land
    5.Elvis Is Back!

OK, greatest albums titles. Nice one.

From Elvis Original Albums:

1. 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
    2. Back in Memphis
    3. From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis Tennessee (although I donīt like most of the songs, it is a great album title).
    4. Elvis is Back
    5. Promised Land

If I can have two bonus choices: Raised on Rock, King Creole.

Now, from posthumous releases.

1. Rhythm and Country
    2. Elvis at Sun
    3. Made in Memphis
    4. Rocker (plus the cover is fantastic)
    5. Long Lonely Highway

Bonus: Elvis '56, Southern Nights.

Now what about greatest Elvis album covers Elvislives72?
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 11-15-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Vegas King
    Mine:
    1.The Essential '70 Masters
    2.The Hampton Roads
    3.Raised On Rock
    4.Rhythm and country
    5.Moody Blue and other great performances

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas King View Post
    Mine:
    1.The Essential '70 Masters
    2.The Hampton Roads
    3.Raised On Rock
    4.Rhythm and country
    5.Moody Blue and other great performances
    I said RCA releases only.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    OK, greatest albums titles. Nice one.

From Elvis Original Albums:

1. 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
    2. Back in Memphis
    3. From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis Tennessee (although I donīt like most of the songs, it is a great album title).
    4. Elvis is Back
    5. Promised Land

If I can have two bonus choices: Raised on Rock, King Creole.

Now, from posthumous releases.

1. Rhythm and Country
    2. Elvis at Sun
    3. Made in Memphis
    4. Rocker (plus the cover is fantastic)
    5. Long Lonely Highway

Bonus: Elvis '56, Southern Nights.

Now what about greatest Elvis album covers Elvislives72?
    Those are some great titles as well. As for album covers that would be a tuffy.

1. Elvis Is Back
    2. 50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong
    3. King Creole
    4. An Afternoon In The Garden
    5. H Touched Me.

1.-An Afternoon In The Garden
    2.-Promised Land
    3.-Elvis At Sun
    4.- Rhythm and country
    5,-Back In Memphis.

1-50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
    2-King Creole
    3-Elvis Is Back
    4-From Elvis In Memphis
    5-That's The Way It Is

Quote Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
    1-50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
    2-King Creole
    3-Elvis Is Back
    4-From Elvis In Memphis
    5-That's The Way It Is
    Finally, someone else includes TTWII besides me. IMO I think TTWII was the most creative and cleaver title of any Elvis cd to date!

My problem with titles like From Elvis In Memphis, Rhythm & Country, From Elvis Presley BLVD and Elvis Country were that they were too simple and plain and not enough creativity behind them. Look at The Beatles for example. their albums were always well thought out for marketing purposes and that attracted more buyers. Elvis' albums didn't have that uniqueness about them that other artists had. Still to this day RCA comes up with dull boring same old played out titles like Viva Las Vegas for a live set. That should have been titled something like Elvis-The Vegas Years. It's still simple but it's more creative and more attractive and appealing to consumers who would know what it's about. The title they went with was such a joke that people that it was the soundtrack to the movie so they passed it up.

The 69 album From Elvis In Memphis should have originally been titled Back in Memphis as it was his first album recorded in Memphis since the Sun era. The second Memphis album should have been titled Stranger In My Own Home Town. These were blown promotional opportunities for Elvis back then and still are today.

The FEPB,MT album in 76 should have been simply titled Graceland since all of the tracks were recorded at his famous home and at that time recording in a home studio was pretty rare and unique.

The 70 country album should have been more classic and been titled Country Roots

The album titles post 77 were just as bad. The Rhythm & Country album should have been more creative and titled The Stax Tapes since all tracks were from his 73 Stax sessions.

The fact is that Elvis' PR team was one of the worst ever in entertainment and therefor makes Elvis look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    My problem with titles like From Elvis In Memphis, and From Elvis Presley BLVD were that they were too simple and plain and not enough creativity behind them. ....

The fact is that Elvis' PR team was one of the worst ever in entertainment and therefor makes Elvis look bad.

I will have to respectively disagree with you on part of your post; as the music Elvis made at American was one of the professional hightlights of his career and just proves your later statement regarding RCA and their handling of his work and also the way in which they were entrusted with the job of providing him material to record. His trip to American should have spoken volumes about this problem.

I will agree that RCA did a poor job of handling Elvis Presley. It is only since his death, has Ernst Jorgnson has been able to bring some degree of order and respect to his music catalogue, which no doubt has helped The King to remain at the top.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    I will have to respectively disagree with you on part of your post; as the music Elvis made at American was one of the professional hightlights of his career and just proves your later statement regarding RCA and their handling of his work and also the way in which they were entrusted with the job of providing him material to record. His trip to American should have spoken volumes about this problem.

I will agree that RCA did a poor job of handling Elvis Presley. It is only since his death, has Ernst Jorgnson has been able to bring some degree of order and respect to his music catalogue, which no doubt has helped The King to remain at the top.
    So you're telling me that the title From Elvis In Memphis was better suited for the first Memphis album in years and not the more appropriate Back In Memphis that was used for the lesser powerful album to follow?

And exactly what did Ernst do besides kiss RCA's tales?

Back In Memphis
    Elvis Country
    TTWII
    Sun Sessions
    Rock n On Vol 1 & 2
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

My problem with titles like From Elvis In Memphis, Rhythm & Country, From Elvis Presley BLVD and Elvis Country were that they were too simple and plain and not enough creativity behind them. Look at The Beatles for example. their albums were always well thought out for marketing purposes and that attracted more buyers. Elvis' albums didn't have that uniqueness about them that other artists had. Still to this day RCA comes up with dull boring same old played out titles like Viva Las Vegas for a live set. That should have been titled something like Elvis-The Vegas Years. It's still simple but it's more creative and more attractive and appealing to consumers who would know what it's about. The title they went with was such a joke that people that it was the soundtrack to the movie so they passed it up.

The 69 album From Elvis In Memphis should have originally been titled Back in Memphis as it was his first album recorded in Memphis since the Sun era. The second Memphis album should have been titled Stranger In My Own Home Town. These were blown promotional opportunities for Elvis back then and still are today.The FEPB,MT album in 76 should have been simply titled Graceland since all of the tracks were recorded at his famous home and at that time recording in a home studio was pretty rare and unique.

The 70 country album should have been more classic and been titled Country Roots

The album titles post 77 were just as bad. The Rhythm & Country album should have been more creative and titled The Stax Tapes since all tracks were from his 73 Stax sessions.The fact is that Elvis' PR team was one of the worst ever in entertainment and therefor makes Elvis look bad.
    Well this is your subjective opinion-I do not think they were blown promotions on From Elvis in Memphis or Back in Memphis-they sold well and are critically acclaimed as being from one of his most prolific recording sessions of his career.
    The title does not change the music inside the record-if the music is good the record is good. The music was good. IMO
    "Elvis' albums didn't have that uniqueness about them that other artists had?"
    Another debateable subjective opinion.
    There was only one Elvis and that by itself made his albums unique.
    Last edited by KPM; 11-15-2008 at 06:27 PM.

most of the album titles lacked creativity.
    Elvis is Back probably wins as it perfectly summed up what was happening.
    Things like Now and Today make little sense, FEPBMT is fine as it was a concept album of sorts

I think my 5 favorite Elvis albums would be

From Elvis In Memphis
    Elvis is Back
    Elvis's Golden Records Vol 1
    The Sun Sessions
    Elvis's Golden Records Vol 2

But that may change next week
    Last edited by KPM; 11-15-2008 at 08:49 PM.

The 69 album From Elvis In Memphis should have originally been titled Back in Memphis as it was his first album recorded in Memphis since the Sun era. The second Memphis album should have been titled Stranger In My Own Home Town. These were blown promotional opportunities for Elvis back then and still are today.

The FEPB,MT album in 76 should have been simply titled Graceland since all of the tracks were recorded at his famous home and at that time recording in a home studio was pretty rare and unique.

The album titles post 77 were just as bad. The Rhythm & Country album should have been more creative and titled The Stax Tapes since all tracks were from his 73 Stax sessions.

You got it right, I do agree with you, Elvis PR team back then and still today seems to be Elvis greatest bad karma. The music was great, but the way it was often delivered to the public was, with a few exceptions just awful, that did damaged Elvis image, and still does.

Back in the late 60's, and trough the 70's, the era of the concept album, RCA was delivering titles like: Elvis Now or Elvis Today? Those were the worst titles ever, better just choose any Elvis photo and put a sticker reading: expecting to sold poorly. Plus, the constant camden surreal releases, and collections of 2 jewels and 10 left overs as the one creatively titled: Elvis, in '73, those were main reasons of the poor selling of his LPs during the 70's.

1969,how could they name it: From Elvis in Memphis, when that same year, Dusty Springfield already had released an album called: From Dusty in Memphis? were they retarded or what? Back in Memphis was a much better title, and they should had left out all the fillers and just released one album from those sessions, then from the 11 spot, that LP could have easily reached the top 5.

Now what is done is done, the problem as you also pointed, is that today although there are some welcome exceptions, history repeats itself, I mean: Love Letters on the Classic albums series? (yes sir, yes sir, plain embarrassment) and what does Rags to Riches is doing on it, now I can take that, but Next Step Is Love? When Im Over You? and Love Letters??? on Elvis Country? and that is an Elvis specialized Label? even RCA did a better job selecting the bonus tracks on the 90's Elvis Country remaster, an emoticon hanging himself is needed here.

Iīll stop going off topic now, but before that just tell me: I sing All Kinds is really a good title? a good album? are they not falling again into the: and now what are we going to do with all those Nashville tracks?

P.S. I donīt think Rhythm & Country falls into the Elvis Country or From Memphis lack of thought, it does represent well and in an original well the merge of two musical genres, a merge that Elvis mastered.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 11-15-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post

My Favourite Albums are "The Complete 50's Box"

Loving You
    Elvis is Back
    From Elvis In Memphis
    The Complete 60's Box

I agree wholeheartedly with you Elizabeth the American recordings are treasures, and Chips Moman was a great Producer he should have stayed with him, to have been around when Elvis in Memphis was released as I and many others were was brilliant, Free!! at last from the Movie c--p that we had to suffer for years and a brand new soulful Elvis, was amazing, I had my own Record store at that time and it sold like "Hotcakes".

People may think my choice of "Loving You" a strange one but that Album & Film told me this Guy is here to stay,chill out and try "Lonesome Cowboy" and listen to the drive in his voice even back then..

A lot of the Album titles being bandied about by Members are re-hashes & mixtures which were I agree badly presented by RCA-BMG but there again they were chasing the $,rehash & mix up a couple of Albums, add a previously un-released track put a new photo on the cover & the dedicated will buy it, I do not recall any title of his albums, being a handicap by title, we are talking the greatest entertainer the World has ever seen here!! he could have brought out titles like " Elvis for Pensioners only" or "Elvis drinks Coke" and they would have sold, RnR is raw & Raunchy and after all he was the King of it, so come on, does an Album title really matter??

Look at his sales- record over the past 50 years! he certainly proves by sales & continuous success with new generations---That he was Second to none, concept Albums or none....

I love everything he has done Studio wise, but have reservations on a lot of the Film material of the 60's, Col Parker wasted 6 good recording years of Elvis's life during that period....Oh what could have been!!
    Last edited by ricky; 11-16-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky View Post
    My Favourite Albums are "The Complete 50's Box"

...does an Album title really matter??
    Yes, and so does the cover and a smart playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Yes, and so does the cover and a smart playlist.

I would agree to a certain extent-but you can have the best title and cover ever-and if the music is horrid-that will not save it.
    But if the music is good and people like it-the cover is only an extra-not the reason for the purchase of the album IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast