Thread: Elvis Cd Box Set Close

International Level
    I am playing this concert live in texas 1972.

great show love it. i like to see more from on tour concert out on ftd or bmg.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Coming On Strong
    Yes Curtis, this is a great concert from our man Highlights for me are Proud Mary, Never Been To Spain, Polk Salad Annie, Burning Love, How Great Thou Art & I Can?t Stop Loving You. Even the oldies are well performed

Would love to see a multitrack recording (or a soundboard if they don?t have a multtrack) from the April 9th Hampton Roads afternoon performance with songs like One Night, Jailhouse Rock and Help Me Make It Trough The Night.

It's a great show, you guys, I agree.

But somehow I think the (much discussed) Greensboro Concert is better.
    Not only the sound quality is great, but in a way I like this show a little better than the one released on Close Up. Maybe it's just me...

Sonny

TCB Mafia
    Originally posted by Sonny@Apr 16 2004, 06:55 PM
    It's a great show, you guys, I agree.

But somehow I think the (much discussed) Greensboro Concert is better.
    Not only the sound quality is great, but in a way I like this show a little better than the one released on Close Up. Maybe it's just me...

Sonny
    No...its not just you Sonny,
    I agree. Although the Close Up show is excellent

I have to agree that Greensboro is a better show...and dare i say it, possibly slightly better sound too :worthy:

They did a great job on it, thats for sure
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Coming On Strong
    It certainly isn?t just you Sonny. I myself like that show also a bit better. The set-list is a bit stronger, some songs are better performed (Never Been To Spain, Burning Love) and Elvis?s mood seems also a bit better and so does his voice. Besides that it contains one of the very best performances of Bridge Over troubled Water i?ve ever heard.

International Level
    boy i would to get a copy of the Greensboro show.

do you know where i can get it.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

It's hard to come by, Curtis...

Maybe you get lucky at a record/cd fair or something...

Sonny

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I agree that those shows that have been recorded for "On Tour" are fantastic. I just love the setlists that he had in '72. What I still can understand why they (MGM) used so much footage of Elvis in the lightblue suite, while he looked so much better in the dark-blue suit, the red suit and the white suit with the red scarve. Just compare the teint (color) of his skin and his hair?

Watching On Tour, and listening to those awesome concerts from that period, I'm almost praying that one day someone at MGM decides to release all shows, material and the special on DVD's
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Mad Tigers
    curtis i can do you a cdr copy if you want it just mail me your home address and its yours
    MY BOY,MY BOY

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I must say that I really enjoyed the Texas '72 show on the CLOSE UP box set!! Actually, I would have enjoyed any of the shows from the ELVIS ON TOUR performances (Hampton Roads, Greensboro, etc.)!!

It's just too bad that they buried that show on the fourth disc of a box set which I personally felt didn't really live up to its predecessors (PLATINUM and TODAY, TOMORROW & FOREVER) Whereas PLATINUM and TODAY, TOMORROW & FOREVER were both very cohesive box sets in terms of the material and they way it was presented, I felt that the CLOSE UP box set was more of a "leftovers" set...no real rhyme or reason to what they presented on the set, and too many gaps in Elvis' career on this set. Don't get me wrong, I am certainly happy to have any unreleased material from Elvis, but of the 3 box sets, I just felt that CLOSE UP was the weakest of the 3 (with the Texas '72 show being the saving grace, so to speak&#33!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Yep, Mike, you know I think the same thing about that set. It's not really an issue with the material itself, but it's more a nagging question of, 'why is this a box set?' Having said that, and being the 70s fan that you (and a great many around here) are, I was totally knocked out with Disc 1.

Going into it, I thought, 'Binaural masters from the 50s--big deal!' But man, was I wrong! I think the sound, although obviously not in an ideal stereo setup, is absolutely fantastic. So clear and so different in ways I don't claim to understand; I just know I love it.

I thought that the set should have been 4 different FTDs, but that's no good, because then you're looking at $100+. Mainstream releases perhaps.

I don't know. I guess it's just a different kind of box set than its two immediate predecessors. But the way those are just seems like the way a box set should be, spanning as much of his career as possible. Just a personal preference though, I suppose.

Disc 4 wasn't too bad either.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@Apr 28 2004, 04:18 AM
    I don't know. I guess it's just a different kind of box set than its two immediate predecessors. But the way those are just seems like the way a box set should be, spanning as much of his career as possible. Just a personal preference though, I suppose.
    You are absolutely right Bobby! A box set, if it is going to be a retrospective of his career, should cover all aspects of his career! A classic example of this is the disc of movie outtakes. How come this disc only covers outtakes from the first 4 post Army films? Now I'm not saying we should have an outtake from every movie, but out of the 27 films Elvis made during the 1960's, only 4 are represented with outtakes. Kind of a large period in his career not covered there, wouldn't you say?

I certainly don't mean to imply that I don't like CLOSE UP....it is a fine box set, but as I said, compared to its predecessors PLATINUM and TODAY, TOMORROW & FOREVER, I just don't think it's as strong of a set.

And I agree with you on the 50's outtakes Bobby...while not a disc I will listen to as often as I will the Texas '72 show, I did find them enjoyable and great sounding!!

Talk to you soon!
    TCB!
    Mike

I agree with you guys...

However, both boxes: Today Tomorrow and Forever and Close Up, aren't as strong as the other ones.

I prefer Close Up over Today Tomorrow and Forever.
    Close Up definately has better sound than the other one, and i.m.o. it also has better songs on it.
    They shouldn't have released those mediocre soundtrack songs on a box like Today Tomorrow and Forever.

On a side note, I think the alternate Long Legged Girl version is awesome!

Sonny

TCB Mafia
    Originally posted by Sonny@Apr 28 2004, 06:02 PM

Sonny
    I agree.... Great version.

I'd also agree that Close Up probably is the weakest of the recent boxset releases....a sort of 'what's left' if you like.

But still very much recommended listening and worth the money.

And yes....Disc Four probably is the one that i play most on the set.
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Originally posted by Sonny@Apr 28 2004, 06:02 PM
    I prefer Close Up over Today Tomorrow and Forever.
    Close Up definately has better sound than the other one, and i.m.o. it also has better songs on it.
    They shouldn't have released those mediocre soundtrack songs on a box like Today Tomorrow and Forever.

Sonny...I agree with you COMPLETELY on the alternate of "Long Legged Girl"!!

As for the release of the "mediocre soundtrack songs" on the TODAY, TOMORROW & FOREVER box set, I have mixed feelings about that...

On one hand I can see your point completely...why release alternate takes of lesser quality songs like MEXICO or NEVER SAY YES on a major box set?

But, on the other hand (and this is probably more of the way I see the inclusion of these songs), it is undeniable that Elvis' soundtrack recordings, no matter how good or bad, are all a part of the Elvis legacy...and to deny inclusion of at least a couple of the lesser quality songs in a box set which is designed to be an anthology or overview of Elvis' career would be sloppy on the part of RCA, in my opinion. This is one of the main reasons why I feel the CLOSE UP box set is weaker than TODAY, TOMORROW & FOREVER...while the TT&F box set provides fans with a true retrospective of Elvis' entire career (strong & weaker performances), CLOSE UP really only hits the highlights of his career, basically not acknowledging the weaker moments of his career, such as the lesser quality soundtrack recordings. In my opinion, this doesn't make for a very good overall look at his career.

Hope that makes sense....I didn't want to sound like I was rambling too much!

TCB!
    Mike

You do make sense, Mike.

I understand your point of view and in a way, you are right.

Close Up does not cover Elvis' career in a way a boxset with the title: Close Up, should.
    On the other hand, maybe the title Close Up means: a more or less close up look at certain stages of Elvis' career... That would explain the collection of highlights on this box.

Sonny

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    That's a good way of looking at it, Sonny. In other words, when you examine something through a magnifying glass, you see some things in great detail but you don't have the broadest perspective. That works.

I guess some of us just prefer a more inclusive set. However there can only be so many of those, I suppose.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Originally posted by Sonny@May 1 2004, 10:18 AM
    On the other hand, maybe the title Close Up means: a more or less close up look at certain stages of Elvis' career... That would explain the collection of highlights on this box.

Sonny
    Excellent point Sonny!!

When you look at it that way, CLOSE UP is indeed an appropriate title for the set! And perhaps that is exactly what RCA had in mind when they created this box set!

Thanks for another perspective!
    TCB!
    Mike

You're welcome guys...

Sonny