Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 'Blue Christmas' with Elvis and Martina McBride

Loving elvis

A 'Blue Christmas' with Elvis and Martina McBride

Elvis and Martina McBride spend a Blue Christmas together.
    Martina McBride was just shy of 2 when Elvis Presley filmed his 1968 "comeback" TV special. This year, the country singer steps back in time 40 years to join the King of Rock 'n' Roll in a video for Blue Christmas.

The effect is similar to Celine Dion's American Idol duet with Presley on If I Can Dream in 2007, but producer George Flanigen says the process used for the illusion was entirely different.

"They took Elvis out of the '68 special and put him on the Idol stage," he says. "We were taking Martina to the '68 special."

The posthumous collaboration also appears on Elvis Presley Christmas Duets, a new album that pairs Presley with singers such as Carrie Underwood, Amy Grant and Olivia Newton-John.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: American Idol | Carrie Underwood | Celine Dion | Roll | Martina McBride | Olivia Newton-John | Amy Grant | King of Rock | Can Dream | Blue Christmas | Scotty Moore | Elvis Presley Christmas Duets | George Flanigen
    In the original footage the only existing video of Elvis performing a Christmas song a leather-clad Presley appears with his band on a small stage at the center of a studio audience. In the video, McBride walks out of the audience and sits next to him.

"There's a spot between (guitarist) Scotty Moore and Elvis that's open, like somebody should have been sitting there," says Flanigen. "We're like, 'We could probably figure a way to put her with Elvis.'

"We scoured the footage and picked shots of Elvis throughout the whole special to be able to put them together. There are shots where he and Martina share the frame, where he looks over at her, where she looks back at him and sings and smiles."

McBride filmed her parts in front of a green screen. "It took four weeks" to piece together, Flanigen says

Video is in the link to watch..
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...-mcbride_N.htm

This really is the final insult.
    Now they're devaluing the '68 Special footage to peddle this macabre release.
    This product is poison because it misrepresents Elvis's artistic intentions, disrespects his memory and even contaminates the work which he has left us.
    Please send a message to the people behind the Elvis Money Machine by boycotting this release. Especially if you don't want our younger generation to be sitting through future broadcasts of the Comeback Special wondering when Martina McBride comes on.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

Loving elvis
    I think its interesting.

Elvis singing duets does not interest me in the least (just my personal opinion); but I think its going a little too far in putting Martina McBride on the '68 Special. Considering that Elvis' version of "Blue Christmas" isn't the same as his recorded version of 1957, but rather just filler for what has become his signature performance, I must admit that is almost disrespectful much to add McBride to the performance. Even though "Blue Christmas" isn't my favorite of Elvis' Christmas songs, for me, was always Elvis' signature Christmas song, even with all of the other wonderful tunes he has song for the holidays. "Blue Christmas" is the first song that I think of when I think of Elvis singing Christmas songs.

I am still undecided about the Celine Dion performance, however.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I think its interesting.
    Maybe in the way that road kill is grimly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    I am still undecided about the Celine Dion performance, however.
    Let me make your mind up for you. It was an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Let me make your mind up for you. It was an abomination.
    Would you believe I completely agree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Would you believe I completely agree with you?
    Of course, because you actually respect the man and his art! You don't just think it would be cool to have him reanimated for Christmas in some novelty record with a woman he'd never heard of!

Loving elvis
    Maybe in the way that road kill is grimly interesting.

Teddy keep in mind we all think different and some will like it and some won't

Of course, because you actually respect the man and his art! You don't just think it would be cool to have him reanimated for Christmas in some novelty record with a woman he'd never heard of!
    I have to admit on some level I enjoy these type things-but I see what you are saying in the reanimated comment. You have to wonder if they will ever say-Have we gone to far?

I think it actually came out pretty good - I was against this cd from the beginning and still am really - but the video came out really good....

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LMRJL-UmfPI&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LMRJL-UmfPI&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
    Go full screen

My 9 year old's first response, with a strange look on her face, was "Is that Priscilla?" (she's only 9!) and then gave it a thumbs down. The video itself isn't bad, but I do not think that his music should have been paired with contemporary singers for duets for today. He did not intend for his music to be sung this way and it seems disrespectful to change his music, after all of these years.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

I don't like this at all. I don't like anyone messing with Elvis and his music. Elvis is being used once again to boost someone else's image.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I don't like this at all. I don't like anyone messing with Elvis and his music. Elvis is being used once again to boost someone else's image.

Diane
    I have to tell you as a kid I had no respect for singers like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Tony Bennett. I did not listen to them nor think they had talent-they were not of my generation. But about 20 years ago in my 30s I began to realize they were good at what they did-they had talent-they had a charisma about them. I began to buy some of their records and listen closely. I did not listen with 15-25 year old ears filtered through my idea that the only good music was my generations-I listened with unbiased ears. Elvis each year gets a fresh listen to people who reach that state of life.
    I truely believe-that to be true. So things like this are okay I guess-but his own talent and charisma are the foundation of his legacy. imo

TCB Mafia
    The clip is well done, but the lady isn't necessary (no offense to her). I just can't see the point, too distracting. Don't like it.

Nice compliment to Elvis, though.

I don't know why I can't stand it but it gets me really close to tears to see her in what I feel is butting in on Elvis' show. I guess I don't like anyone taking the spotlight away from him when that was all his hard work and it was so special to him finding out he still could please his fans after being away from the stage for so long. I can't explain it better than that......To me she has no business there and never earned the right to be.

Diane

TCB Mafia
    I don't know why I can't stand it but it gets me really close to tears to see her in what I feel is butting in on Elvis' show. I guess I don't like anyone taking the spotlight away from him when that was all his hard work and it was so special to him finding out he still could please his fans after being away from the stage for so long. I can't explain it better than that......To me she has no business there and never earned the right to be.

Diane

Well said, Diane, you managed to put, what I couldn't express, into words.
    Thank you.

Take care,
    Kimmi

Loving elvis
    I don't mind it, but it didn't blow my mind either

Diane
    Very well said Diane. And yes, I understand what you are trying to say. I feel that its disrespectful to his music and legacy, but that's just my little opinion....after all, what do I know????? Go back and read just a few of my posts.....I don't really know anything.....

but if you read my last post on this thread, my daughter says "What's Priscilla doing in this video?".......

University of Memphis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast