Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about Elvis wearing a TURBAN in 1972

Curious about Elvis wearing a TURBAN in 1972

I've seen a few photos from 1972..where Elvis is wearing a TURBAN on his head.He appears to be at a party with Dave Hebler and some children..Does anyone know anything about this??..Why was he wearing a turban?..Does anyone have access to these photos?? Supposedly there are between 8-10 photos that were taken..

http://www.kingcandids.com

TCB
    Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turban.jpg  

I could be mistaken but I believe EP was attending a karate class with Hebler in California and made mention of the fact that he didn't wash his hair that day and it looked bad, thus the turban.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car
    I could be mistaken but I believe EP was attending a karate class with Hebler in California and made mention of the fact that he didn't wash his hair that day and it looked bad, thus the turban.
    (looking at the photo) Yeah, that makes sense

kennyelvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car
    Thats the story i have read too, but was it 72? I coul be wrong, but i think it was september 73, i cant check it now, all my magazins are in my sleeping son`s bed room but it was an interview with Dave Hebler in a "Today" elvis magazin a few years ago, i guess there are people on this board that can check that out in a hurry
    Strange guy that Elvis man, look at the close he is wering in the summer time way to go "E"

Backstage Pass
    lol- maybe I'll try that the next time I'm having a bad hair day!!!!!

...think anyone'll notice?

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyelvis
    Thats the story i have read too, but was it 72? I coul be wrong, but i think it was september 73, i cant check it now, all my magazins are in my sleeping son`s bed room but it was an interview with Dave Hebler in a "Today" elvis magazin a few years ago, i guess there are people on this board that can check that out in a hurry
    Strange guy that Elvis man, look at the close he is wering in the summer time way to go "E"
    Yeah, didn't Hebler say it was so hot and he was wearing this thick overcoat and turban and sweating profusely. Gee, I wonder how come And didn't he, again according to Hebler, do some kind of karate work-out that way? I'm already perspiring just reading about it

You can date pics. approximately by the jewelry that EP sports.

Hence, the Turban photos are from 1973.

The person to contact with the full story, for those burning to know - is the primary source of the pics - Hebler.

Caveat: if they were sold with copyright(s), you may not get all of the answers that you are looking for.

This is an example as to how unseen photos / EP personal items all have interesting (hitherto unknown) stories to accompany. It is also one facet of the appeal of these areas of collecting. One must be careful though, photos, by their very nature, can be copied, and rendered less "collectible." If they are truly unseen, one-of-a-kind images -------> they are worth their weight in gold & irreplaceable.

---------------------------

I think these pics. are direct evidence as to the bizarre side / world that EP was living in ........ on a number of levels. Just remember, what may be bizzare to some, is merely "eccentric" to others. EP was, if anything, the epitome of "Eccentric."

Personally, I'm embarrassed for EP, just looking at them ............... but that may just be me.

- Capt. "EL."

kennyelvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Yeah, didn't Hebler say it was so hot and he was wearing this thick overcoat and turban and sweating profusely. Gee, I wonder how come And didn't he, again according to Hebler, do some kind of karate work-out that way? I'm already perspiring just reading about it
    I found the magazin now, it was "Essential Elvis" issue 27 - march/april 2003.
    It says it`s from september 73 (way to go kenny ) it says nothing about the karate work out and the sweating, i have read that too, so i guess it`s in the "Elvis what happend" book.
    It was also the first time Dave meet Elvis.

Cadillac King
    Can anyone blow up that badge he has on the turban ? I may be wrong but that turban style and badge looks a bit familiar to me and if it is what I think it is ....maybe I can explain it.

It may not be Karate but actually a religeous sect that perhaps gave that to E as an honour, much like the Red Indian Chief feathers he was presented with after doing Flaming Star.

jb

Roustabouts
    Hi, here you can see much better "turban"-pics

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/cand...373turban.html

Cadillac King
    Thank you, but sadly I cannot make out the badge any better....

jb

Hard to say which one but probably the one of the moment. Doubt it is the DEA one.
    http://hometown.aol.com/skmccarty/images/tcblogo1.jpg
    It's never too late to take care of business.

nice link...

I forgot these were on the Candid Central site!!..
    Very strange indeed..Odd necklace that Elvis is wearing too...it does seem to have been taken in the winter months..( Dave Hebler and the other man are dressed warmly also)..

kennyelvis
    The turban pictures are from SEPTEMBER 1973, SEPTEMBER IS NOT WINTER OR IS IT.
    Shit..... read the ***** post that people post man
    You can also see the necklace on some pictures i have posted that are from Las Vegas august/September 1973
    http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=680

Kenny -

FWIW, ......... I for one take your word that they are from The FALL of '73.

'73 was definitely a given for me, ............... and I do thank you for clarifying the month.

---------------

Generally speaking:

When one is correct about something, ............. the silence can sometimes be deafening.

---------------

Also, my thanks for the link with the RARE pics. and of EP's rare necklace. An excellent example of a most-likely one-of-a-kind piece probably in private hands. There are other "unusual" necklaces that EP favored from 1973 on. Most, if not all, don't have any true insight into such details. Once again, jewelry is one reliable way to date pics.

- Capt. "EL."

Backstage Pass
    [QUOTE=kennyelvis] SEPTEMBER IS NOT WINTER OR IS IT.
    [QUOTE]

lol.....in Scotland it is!!!!

kennyelvis
    [QUOTE=Mez][QUOTE=kennyelvis] SEPTEMBER IS NOT WINTER OR IS IT.

lol.....in Scotland it is!!!!
    Ha ha ha, nice try Mez,
    But our man did not visit Scotland in the 70`s.

Backstage Pass
    Hey, don't knock the turban, there were some worse fashion disasters than that in the 70's, it was the decade that tasteful clothes forgot !!!!
    "When You Let Your Head get Too Big, It'll Break your Neck" Elvis Presley.

September is not winter..But February,1973 is..

Quote Originally Posted by kennyelvis
    The turban pictures are from SEPTEMBER 1973, SEPTEMBER IS NOT WINTER OR IS IT.
    Shit..... read the ***** post that people post man
    You can also see the necklace on some pictures i have posted that are from Las Vegas august/September 1973
    http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=680
    I can read..I saw the replies that implied that it was taken in September,1973..however..
    Strange that Elvis and the two other men..are all dressed for winter weather..
    hence:

Please examine these photos from February,1973...Las Vegas...(note necklace and similar coat)

I believe the "TURBAN" photos are from February,1973..
    photos #1:With Red West, Ed Parker, J.D. Sumner & Sonny West in Las Vegas February 1973
    photo#2 :In his Las Vegas Hilton suite in February 1973(look at the necklace)

TCB
    Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rededeljdsonny0273.jpg   73suite.jpg  
    Last edited by howardrobardhughes; 10-18-2004 at 01:34 PM.

kennyelvis
    So you belive the "Turban pix" are from February 1973.
    Why the h*** did you call this topic "Curious about Elvis wearing a TURBAN in 1972"
    I tell you what : belive what you want, but i know a few things when it come to pictures.
    But this is to stupid to go on with, but if i wher you, i would have change the text on the main tilte on this topic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast