Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: November, 1972 Aloha Press Conference

November, 1972 Aloha Press Conference

There has always been something about this press conference that struck me as Elvis being very 'subdued', demure or sedate - not chemically, but almost like he's shying away from the spotlight. He looks it in his eyes, face and his whole manner about himself. The swagger and humor of the MSG press conference is missing and his 'coolness' from the September, 1972 Aloha press conference is certainly not here.

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

You know it's funny that Elvis mentioned "no message or this and that, just pure entertainment". but the truth is he did send messages by wearing the American Eagle suit which represented the United States Of America and did American Trilogy during the show.

Not that anyting was wrong with either just that Elvis did contradict hismelf.

i just put it down to him being down as well as on his meds quite heavily. I've watched the footage i have of it and he seems really flat. Maybe he was a tad nervous about the Aloha broadcast. It's almost like he's not present.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

TCB Mafia
    I believe that Elvis was sleepy and tired, as the Conference was in the early morning after his shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I believe that Elvis was sleepy and tired, as the Conference was in the early morning after his shows.
    Kimmi-

I don't think that THIS Aloha press conference was done AFTER a performance but rather upon arrival in Hawaii in November, 1972. He traveled to Hawaii to actually perform several shows as sort of a trial run before the big event in January, 1973.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

how early Jess? Elvis was a night person, so maybe it was just fatique after the shows.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

i think he was tired nothing more
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Kimmi-

I don't think that THIS Aloha press conference was done AFTER a performance but rather upon arrival in Hawaii in November, 1972. He traveled to Hawaii to actually perform several shows as sort of a trial run before the big event in January, 1973.
    You are correct Liz...there were NO shows going on at this time. IMO he is very medicated. He flew to Hawaii with a group on the 16th and this press conference was on the 20th.

Interesting thread

From the press conf in Manhattan on June 9, 1972 there is a great difference with the press conference of September 4, 1972 in Las Vegas. The change is abysmal. It is true that the press conference of september went to 4 a.m. and Elvis was exhausted (wrong hour for a conference).

Nevertheless when in November to Hawaii he fulfils the press conf at 12:30 pm. Elvis meets tired, shy. In agreement to the book "Careless Love-The Unmaking Of Elvis Presley" (1999) in this moment Elvis was very disappointed: newly separated from Priscilla, with overweight and intense "medication". It is difficult to know the real reasons of his appearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972, nov 20, press conf, Hawaii.jpg  

"I am now a central part
    Of your mindīs landscape
    Wheter you care or do not
    Yeah, Iīve made up your mind"

According Guralnick-Jorgensen in "Day by Day" (1999):
    Nov 08-15: concerts tour.
    Nov 16: Elvis, Linda, Lisa Marie fly from LA to Honolulu with a large group.
    Nov 17: Elvis performs at HIC (1 show).
    Nov 18: Elvis performs at HIC (2 shows, 2:30 and 8:30 pm).
    Nov 19: No perform.
    Nov 20: Elvis holds press conf.
    Nov 21,22,23,24: No perform.
    Nov 25: Elvis and the group returns to LA.

"I am now a central part
    Of your mindīs landscape

Quote Originally Posted by javierTCB View Post
    From the press conf in Manhattan on June 9, 1972 there is a great difference with the press conference of September 4, 1972 in Las Vegas.
    Agreed! The changes between June of '72 and Sept. of '72 are nothing short of unbelievable. In retrospect, it's very sad to see such a decline in a man that 3 short months earlier seemed to hold the world in the palm of his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    You know it's funny that Elvis mentioned "no message or this and that, just pure entertainment". but the truth is he did send messages by wearing the American Eagle suit which represented the United States Of America and did American Trilogy during the show.

I see it more as just a reminder to the rest of the world that he was an American. I don't think he wanted to send any messages, but was simply proud to be an American.

In those few months between June and September, 1972, one has to wonder how it all could have happened so fast. I agree.

But the press conference in November, he just seems so ..... restained, lacking in the swagger that he frequently displayed in public situations such as this. Its not the energetic, humorous personality of the MSG press conference nor is it the completely over-medicated, heavy breathing and bumbling of the September press conference.

This one in November always bugged me b/c unlike the September conference, I just can't put my finger on what's wrong with him.

University of Memphis

TCB Mafia
    Gee, I keep going to reply, and then don't, then reply again.

It could be because Elvis was going through divorce/settlement. It's tough, probably one of the worst things that can happen in one's life, because of the unknown; children's best interests, as well as solicitors, and all that goes along with settling.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I see it more as just a reminder to the rest of the world that he was an American. I don't think he wanted to send any messages, but was simply proud to be an American.
    I agree.
    There is a big difference between a "verbal planned message" of some kind or to push an agenda-and "a symbolic non-verbal message" which I feel the American Eagle suit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post

He didn't send a message by wearing an AMERICAN EAGLE Jumpsuit he was representing the love for HIS Country to the world. They were originally going to have him wear the thunderbird suit but Elvis said, I don't want to wear something Egyptian I want something that represents, AMERICA"..not a message just simply stating that he loves his Country and yes he wore the flag pin quite often as well too.

Lightbulb

I think it was a combo of all your suggestions but if I remember correctly his bodyguards had gave a interview and had mentioned Elvis had lost a lot of weight pretty fast by whatever means along with the time difference and the publicity of the TV special it's really no wonder he was drained .Could you just imagine the pressure of it all not to mention just being Elvis Presley ?

rams
    .the image is one thing and the human being is another...it's very hard to live up to an image......................

from what I remember reading about the September interview, he was out of it from his sleeping pills and the November one he looks bloated and is acting very timid and shy.
    Yeah he looked like a new man for that show. the new diet was injecting him with urine from pregnant women and eating these little tiny bits of thin meat you boil. The day after the show he was back to his old routine of drug abuse. They should have had another challenge set up. Maybe a real world wide tour instead of concert footage being played.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSu8Eox-sAg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RSu8Eox-sAg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
    Last edited by MojoElvis; 11-16-2008 at 08:43 AM.

From Madison Square Garden concerts to November tour there is a clear overweight. I think that the bodyguards were related to weight loss in these concerts from November through January 14 (NBC-TV Special).

With several overweight, Elvis begins routines in preparation for the event in January that included a concert on november 17 and another 18 at the International Center in Honolulu, which were originally proposed dates for the satellite show. At the last minute due to the high demand for tickets, it was decided to perform a second show on the same day 18.

For all the preparations for the event was the Elvis faithful company and support of his girlfriend Linda Thompson, who along with his father Vernon and other friends reinforced their confidence. Now just missing that were known Elvis and the program manager Marty Pasetta, who arrived unannounced at one of his performances in November in Long Beach, California; then have the first meeting in person with Elvis on the floor of a thirty-Hotel they are housed.

The meeting included several hours every detail considered by Pasetta, to end the severe order that Elvis was losing at least ten or twelve pounds to appear on TV. After a long moment of silence, and his candor, Elvis jumped out of the seat, hugged it and lifting suddenly shouted "I love this man ... finally someone dares to tell the truth. All they do is keep all my orders submissively ... I love it".

On November 25, five days later, Elvis with his team returns to Los Angeles to undergo a strict diet and plenty of practice karate. No doubt his weight was the result of a mixture of several reasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972, november in Honolulu.jpg   1972, nov 18, backstage, Honolulu.jpg  

"I am now a central part
    Of your mindīs landscape

strange world

Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis
    the new diet was injecting him with urine from pregnant women
    That is interesting but.. why..?!
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 11-16-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: correct the quote thing
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast