Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What ideas do you have for introducing Elvis to the next generation?

What ideas do you have for introducing Elvis to the next generation?

We all know that the future of Elvis and his longevity lies in the hands of the next generation of fans. So what are your ideas that you think Sillerman and EPE should focus on to keep them interested in Elvis? And please don't say releasing Elvis In Concert on dvd as one of them. That would be detrimental to his legacy.

Here's a few of my own ideas that I would like to see them do.

1. EPE should find a way to merge with Viacom and develop the world's first ever cable tv's Elvis television network which would focus on his entire career, from movies, documentaries and concert performances to special presentations from Graceland. The network should be ran and operated on the Graceland grounds just as the Sirius radio channel is. This would be a groundbreaking accomplishment for EPE and Elvis and open many doors to a new generation to discover Elvis without ever buying an Elvis cd or visiting Graceland. It could be done in the form of the current VH1 and MTV musical channels such as VH1 Classics. It could be called Elvis-One or simple name like EPTV as in Elvis Presley TV. There would be enough material to run a full 24/7 programming such as Elvis & Me, Elvis & The Beauty Queen, This Is Elvis, The Early years-ABC short lived series from the early 90's, The Echo Will Never Die, and so on.

2. EPE should look into buying their own riverboat like the General Jackson showboat in Nashville and have weekend tours on the Mississippi river to and from St Louis and New Orleans for a 2-day getaway with an Elvis theme. They could call it the Proud Mary Cruise or something. Book the top ETA Shawn Klush to do live performances on the boat, have former friends of Elvis' such as the band mates to make appearances as special guests. This could also be done especially during Elvis Week as one of the special events. This would be a win-win attraction for all fans young and old. It would also be a romantic getaway with an Elvis twist to it as lovers could enjoy the journey down the Mississippi at night under the stars.

3. An Elvis Music Festival featuring top artists in the music industry to showcase the sounds of Country, Blues, Soul, and Pop/Rock. Make it a 3-day festival with national media coverage and have it in June. Put it on CMT and VH1, maybe MTV as a marathon. Have an Art exhibit and fun things for the kids as well. The festival could be held annually in downtown Memphis on the riverfront.

Anyone have their own ideas to add?

Just to give you an example of the type of boat I was referring to, here's a pic of the General Jackson.

Last edited by Elvislives72; 11-12-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Vegas King
    Yes there is.
    There Needs to be more Elvis on the radio stations And Television so kids could hear him.
    Everybody know Two or three songs from Elvis.
    We Have to face that:THEY DON'T KNOW WHO ELVIS PRESLEY REALLY IS!!!.The list of elvis fans is shrinking and we have to react.

There's hardly a child alive who doesn't know who Elvis Presley was.

Tourism ensures Elvis is seen by even those from countries where he wasn't popular.

Our shops are filled with Elvis artifacts. National newspapers give away Elvis CDs and DVDs, the computer age has Elvis songs on youtube. Elvis radio shows reach across the world.

Memphis makes the TV news every August.

Magazine covers feature Elvis and Elvis books line bookstore shelves.

Elvis calenders are already in our stores.

More young children hear Elvis than they ever did. "Hound Dog" opened the latest Indiana Blockbuster movies in Cinemas across the globe.

Elvis is virtually self perpetuating.

There are plenty of Elvis fans who don't even know who he really was if they can't look past the superficial image and miss the human being.

I don't think the answer is to be found purely in a commercial context. As far as that's concerned any change seems to be an improvement anyway.

Elvis' music in a motion picture by Disney or "A Little Less Conservation" did rather well without having to suffer from a lack of promotion and publicity, but did these things prove to be a long-term solution?

Elvis' music will pass the test of time, though his audience might grow smaller but more concentrated and loyal. If this is meant to be, so it will be.

If there were artists with an obvious link to that good old-timey music it could pull out a memory or two, but it's hard to achieve anything in a scene dominated by superficial short-lived success and materialist pigs.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

I might like to see an all Elvis channel-but theres just not enough material. IMO

I do not think if you added all the movies, specials, TV performances together it would add to enough material to run a full time cable tv channel.
    His 33 movies only add up to about 49 hours of broadcast time-at an average length of 90 minutes. Add in lets say all the outtakes from TTWII and EOT(if they were cleaned up and digitally remastered) we have around another, lets be generous, 40 hours depending on where you totals on outakes from these films-and some of that is non-musical filmed moments.
    So thats 89 hours-less than 4 days running time-then the specials lets say all told another 20 hours- then all the other Ed Sullivan Hayride, Sinatra show etc....another 20 hours if you play the total shows not just Elvis moments. Then all the documentaries and the mini series and the different Elvis bios-I think you would have around 2 weeks full of no repeat 24 hour broadcasting. the trouble with the things like "The Echo will never Die" is that other than interviews with celebrities or insiders all the material is pretty much from all the above footage.
    So in order to not run the existing footage into the ground in 2 week cycles they would have to produce shows pretty heavily to fill time. They would have to pay royalties on all the movies to the companies who own them, work out deals with whoever owns all the Hayride, Sullivan footage etc.
    You are talking a huge expensive undertaking.
    Given that we are going on 4 full years since Sillerman bought into EPE and that little of what he spoke of in 2004 has happened and that
    Sillerman just had a set back with the collapse of his sale from CKX to FX (this guys like an alphabet soup) I can not see him going into another great expense when his original ideas are in limbo.

An all Elvis channel.....it's known around our house that my husband "owns" the TV and I "own" the computer. There would be a big switch in a hurry!!!
    Too bad there isn't enough material to take this seriously.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I might like to see an all Elvis channel-but theres just not enough material. IMO

I do not think if you added all the movies, specials, TV performances together it would add to enough material to run a full time cable tv channel.
    His 33 movies only add up to about 49 hours of broadcast time-at an average length of 90 minutes. Add in lets say all the outtakes from TTWII and EOT(if they were cleaned up and digitally remastered) we have around another, lets be generous, 40 hours depending on where you totals on outakes from these films-and some of that is non-musical filmed moments.
    So thats 89 hours-less than 4 days running time-then the specials lets say all told another 20 hours- then all the other Ed Sullivan Hayride, Sinatra show etc....another 20 hours if you play the total shows not just Elvis moments. Then all the documentaries and the mini series and the different Elvis bios-I think you would have around 2 weeks full of no repeat 24 hour broadcasting. the trouble with the things like "The Echo will never Die" is that other than interviews with celebrities or insiders all the material is pretty much from all the above footage.
    So in order to not run the existing footage into the ground in 2 week cycles they would have to produce shows pretty heavily to fill time. They would have to pay royalties on all the movies to the companies who own them, work out deals with whoever owns all the Hayride, Sullivan footage etc.
    You are talking a huge expensive undertaking.
    Given that we are going on 4 full years since Sillerman bought into EPE and that little of what he spoke of in 2004 has happened and that
    Sillerman just had a set back with the collapse of his sale from CKX to FX (this guys like an alphabet soup) I can not see him going into another great expense when his original ideas are in limbo.
    I disagree. A rapper is about to launch his own tv station. Now if some rapper can afford it so can an actual billionaire.

As for the lack of material, it wouldn't be continuous Elvis movies or shows. There would be new productions for half hour to an hour of special presentations for half hour airings. And not necessarily a full all day 24 hour network. Most small stations go off the air around midnight to 1 AM and don't come back on until 7 or 8 AM. That's at least 18 hours of programming available. Here's an example of how it could work out in a 24 hour window.

8 am-10 am
    Speedway

10 am-12 pm
    That's The Way It Is

2 pm-2:30 pm
    Memories Of Elvis (new production of interviews with his closest associates)

2:30-4 pm
    Aloha From Hawaii

4 pm-6 pm
    Elvis Viva Las Vegas ABC Special

6 pm-7 pm
    The Ed Sullivan Years

7 pm-9 pm
    Elvis BY The Presley's

9 pm-9:30 pm
    Memories Of Elvis

9:30 pm-10:30 pm
    He Touched Me

10:30 pm-12:30 am
    Easy Come Easy Go

12:30 am-1:00 am
    Memories Of Elvis

1 am-8 am
    Infomercial programming

As you can see this would work. I listed only 8 out of at least 100 or so different programs available for airing. The next day could be

Btw, Sillerman didn't come into the picture untl 05 and didn't start making plans until 06. CKX's fall through with trying to go private isn't Sillerman's fault. That all can be blamed on the economy. But he's also said to be working on an alternative plan to take it private. EPE and Ali won't be at risk or effected I can assure you. It's more to do with building onto CKX.
    Last edited by Elvislives72; 11-13-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    I disagree. A rapper is about to launch his own tv station. Now if some rapper can afford it so can an actual billionaire.

As for the lack of material, it wouldn't be continuous Elvis movies or shows. There would be new productions for half hour to an hour of special presentations for half hour airings. And not necessarily a full all day 24 hour network. Most small stations go off the air around midnight to 1 AM and don't come back on until 7 or 8 AM. That's at least 18 hours of programming available. Here's an example of how it could work out in a 24 hour window.

8 am-10 am
    Speedway

10 am-12 pm
    That's The Way It Is

2 pm-2:30 pm
    Memories Of Elvis (new production of interviews with his closest associates)

2:30-4 pm
    Aloha From Hawaii

4 pm-6 pm
    Elvis Viva Las Vegas ABC Special

6 pm-7 pm
    The Ed Sullivan Years

7 pm-9 pm
    Elvis BY The Presley's

9 pm-9:30 pm
    Memories Of Elvis

9:30 pm-10:30 pm
    He Touched Me

10:30 pm-12:30 am
    Easy Come Easy Go

12:30 am-1:00 am
    Memories Of Elvis

1 am-8 am
    Infomercial programming

As you can see this would work. I listed only 8 out of at least 100 or so different programs available for airing. The next day could be
    As I have said I just do not see enough material.
    I also said that if the billionaire has had trouble making good on his original ideas in the last 4 years-he is not going to undertake something which would require a lot of capital. You have to walk before you can run-so far the plans from 4 years ago-are crawling. I will say this for certain- one thing this country does not need is another station which runs for a third of the day with infomercials.

I think the riverboat idea would be good for existing fans and people in their 30s. The teenagers and the 20 somethings would not get into a riverboat excursion ( I just asked my 22 year old daughter about it thunbs down)
    The festival idea might be a good one-if done properly.

Just off the top of my head, here's a list of all the potential documentaries, specials and movies that could be used for a tv network of All Elvis.

Motion Pictures
    Love Me Tender
    Loving You
    Jailhouse Rock
    Jailhouse Rock (colorized version)
    King Creole
    GI Blues
    Flaming Star
    Wild In The Country
    Blue Hawaii
    Follow That Dream
    Kid Galahad
    Girls Girls Girls
    It Happened At The World's Fair
    Fun In Acapulco
    Roustabout
    Viva Las Vegas
    Kissin Cousins
    Tickle Me
    Girl Happy
    Harum scarum
    Spinout
    Frankie And Johnnie
    Easy Come Easy Go
    Paradise Hawaiian Style
    Double Trouble
    Clambake
    Stay Away Joe
    Speedway
    Live A Little, Love A Little
    Charro
    The Trouble With Girls
    Change Of Habit
    That's The Way It Is
    That's The`Way It Is Special Edition
    Elvis On Tour

Documentaries & Specials
    Elvis 56
    The Early Years
    The Ed Sullivan years
    Welcome Home Elvis-Frank Sinatra special
    From The Waist Up
    68 Comeback
    68 Comeback deluxe addition
    Aloha Dress Rehearsal
    Aloha From Hawaii
    Elvis In Concert
    This Is Elvis
    Elvis (1979 ABC mini series played by Kurt Russell)
    Elvis & The Beauty Queen
    Elvis & Me
    The Echo Will Never Die
    The Great Performances Vol 1 & 2
    Elvis Lives (2002 NBC Thanksgiving special)
    Elvis Viva Las Vegas (2007 ABC Special)
    Elvis Presley's Memphis (Travel channel special)
    Elvis' Graceland (travel channel special)
    Elvis Presley's Graceland hosted by Priscilla Presley
    The Lost Performances
    Elvis Lives (25th Anniversary concert from Memphis)
    Elvis By The Presley's
    Elvis CBS mini series
    Last edited by Elvislives72; 11-13-2008 at 01:40 PM.

I think the riverboat idea would be good for existing fans and people in their 30s. The teenagers and the 20 somethings would not get into a riverboat excursion ( I just asked my 22 year old daughter about it thunbs down)
    The festival idea might be a good one-if done properly.
    Just because your daughter doesn't like things like that does not mean she speaks for the entire teenage to 20 something age group. She's not even 1%.

As you can see with my new full list of movie and documentaire over the years there is definitely enough material available for at least a 18 hour a day programming. EPE could make a huge profit off of infomercials and paid advertising spots. That would help to fill in the 24 hour window.

Once again, had the economy no taken such huge downfall Sillerman wouldn't e in the situation with having to cancel the hotel resort in Vegas and probably would have already began developing at Graceland. You cannot hold all this against him as some type of failure or not living up to his expectations.
    Last edited by Elvislives72; 11-13-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    Just because your daughter doesn't like things like that does not mean she speaks for the entire teenage to 20 something age group. She's not even 1%.

As you can see with my new full list of movie and documentaire over the years there is definitely enough material available for at least a 18 hour a day programming. EPE could make a huge profit off of infomercials and paid advertising spots. That would help to fill in the 24 hour window.

Once again, had the economy no taken such huge downfall Sillerman wouldn't e in the situation with having to cancel the hotel resort in Vegas and probably would have already began developing at Graceland. You cannot hold all this against him as some type of failure or not living up to his expectations.
    Given the size of the teen to 20 demographic group-I am sure she is not near 1% and made no claim otherwise.
    As far as material it is your opinion there is enough material-that is subjective on your part and very dependent on the idea that Sillerman would produce new programs on a regular basis.
    You once again seem to have missed my post-the economy melted in the last 12 months. So since 2004 there have been 3 years of growth-up to the meltdown. The only real winner so far is Lisa with $100 million for the 85%.
    Sillerman is now in limbo-he could not deliver what he himself wanted to happen-in the 3 years prior to the meltdown. This meltdown is, unfortunately, not over. Much of Sillermans wealth is Wall Street based-in other words on paper. So until Wall Street and the country recover (the last minor recession took nearly 2 years) I doubt he will be making any new plans of consequence. I think he will try to regroup and scale back.
    I do not blame him for anything-it was his time schedule for his expansion plans -not mine. I can only go by what he announced at the time. I can only go by what many were saying at time-significant building just months away-perhaps all done in 18 months-24 tops.
    The EPE deal is his not mine, I had no dog in his fight.

But the original question was how to attract new fans.
    I would love to see an explosion of new younger Elvis fans, I would love to see him top of the album charts once a year, I would love to see a couple new Elvis specials a year -but its very hard and expensive to market a deceased non-producing artist of any kind. I think a remix every 3-4 years helps-if they are well done.

I can only go by what many were saying at time-significant building just months away-perhaps all done in 18 months-24 tops.
    The EPE deal is his not mine, I had no dog in his fight.
    You are right on the mark Ken. We just got back from Memphis and there appears to be nothing on the horizon. I also found it interesting that the Heartbreak Hotel actually had a few rooms available for Elvis' birthday week.

I guess growing up listening to Elvis, remembering his death, being AWARE of his music, I always took ELVIS for granted, as a natural part of my world. Its also very difficult for me to comprehend that there are those who have never heard of his name, his music, his impact. This thread has given me pause to consider what my little world would have been without being fortunate enough to know who and what he accomplished.

His impact throughout the globe is astonishing, however with fans from every continent both young and old. Now as an adult, I try and listen with more awareness of those first singles and what they offer the listener in terms of style, emotion, change. I also listen with an adult ear to his emotional input in music of the 60's and especially the 70's. I believe that the '68 Special sit-down shows are pure proof of the power that he embodied, the talent, the emotion, the intimacy, the charisma - these shows are timeless - they appeal to anyone at any age at the time that they were recorded, they certainly grabbed my attention during my formative years and adult years - they never get old, they never are outdated, they never fail to amaze.

This may not answer the question of how to introduce Elvis the next generation, but it made me wonder how different it would be if he had not been part of mine.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    You know what cable and sat companies should have is a Elvis on Demand channel. When you want to watch Elvis, you pick some Elvis movie or special to watch. Theres not enough material for a 24 hr channel.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

'TCB Mafia

I guess growing up listening to Elvis, remembering his death, being AWARE of his music, I always took ELVIS for granted, as a natural part of my world. Its also very difficult for me to comprehend that there are those who have never heard of his name, his music, his impact. This thread has given me pause to consider what my little world would have been without being fortunate enough to know who and what he accomplished.

His impact throughout the globe is astonishing, however with fans from every continent both young and old. Now as an adult, I try and listen with more awareness of those first singles and what they offer the listener in terms of style, emotion, change. I also listen with an adult ear to his emotional input in music of the 60's and especially the 70's. I believe that the '68 Special sit-down shows are pure proof of the power that he embodied, the talent, the emotion, the intimacy, the charisma - these shows are timeless - they appeal to anyone at any age at the time that they were recorded, they certainly grabbed my attention during my formative years and adult years - they never get old, they never are outdated, they never fail to amaze.

This may not answer the question of how to introduce Elvis the next generation, but it made me wonder how different it would be if he had not been part of mine. '
    You right Elizabet - I think you absolutely right!!!!! In Poland now ELVIS day by day
    grow - we have there many programs on TV, radio and magazine's - it's amazing!!!!!
    I'll Remember You!!!

I don't think there will be a 24/7 TV channel only for Elvis. It would be really great, but I really don't think it will ever happen...

The best way to know him better is listening to his songs. I think many people know him only as the "king of rock & roll" and they have simply no idea how many songs he had.

Thanks for the Candaian Radio, which is really non-stop (http://www.freewebs.com/theepexpress/) and the sirius radio channel! They are both wonderful.

Although I don't think there will be a 24/7 TV channel, but I'd really like to see more movies and concerts about him on TV, at least on his anniversary. There were some programs about him on the 30th anniversary here, but in this August there were nothing.

I think these are the best documentaries about him:

- This Is Elvis
    - He Touched Me (The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley) (This was the most touching documentary I have ever seen about him...)
    - Elvis By The Presleys
    - The Definitive Elvis

And his best shows and concert movies:

- 68 Comeback
    - Aloha From Hawaii
    - TTWII
    - Elvis On Tour

These are really very very expensive on DVDs, many people can't buy them that's why it would be great to see them on TV in every countries! (I know some of his movies can be watched at least on the anniversary on TCM, this movie channel were deleted here, in my country and VH1 sometimes uses to play his videos, but very rarely.) I'm sure if more people would know him better, they would love him and he would have more new fans...

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]
    The best way to know him better is listening to his songs. I think many people know him only as the "king of rock & roll" and they have simply no idea how many songs he had.

I agree, before I was a fan I knew he sang Hound Dog and Heartbreak Hotel and some of the other of his more famous records, but what turned me into a fan was listening to some of his other lesser known albums. For many years while I was still discovering lots of his songs it was like Christmas everyday! Even though oldies radio stations play his songs, its usually just his #1 songs. There are hundreds and hundreds of others they can play! I think this would help. There are so many times I've been listening to music with family or friends and a song that Elvis covered comes up and of course I have to jump in and say Elvis did this song too! and many times they are surprised and they want to hear his version. Once I play it for them they love it.

Back in the 90's Jack Soden and the late Todd Morgan announced that there were plans to launch the first ever Elvis tv station with Turner Network. It never happened. Why? because of money issues and sponsors. EPEE didn't have the financial backing to make it become a reality. Same was the case with the ElvisTown theme park in Tokyo, Japan back in the early 90's that fell through.

I'm not saying any of my ideas will come true but if they do it's because of Sillerman's and the financial backing and funding he can supply. But I do think it's on their agenda of things to do.

That being said I doubt we'll see anything major like these possible projects happen anytime soon. Maybe within 5 years but that all depends on how fast the economy bounces back to where investing is a safe thing to do and people start spending money again.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast