Thread: Elvis,Ed Parker..and...Billy Idol ??

Elvis,Ed Parker..and...Billy Idol ??

I had always heard that Billy Idol was a BIG Elvis fan...and that he even hired Ed Parker as a bodyguard....Here's a rare photo...
    Billy with Ed Parker
    (and an Elvis Cape)

enjoy...
    TCB
    Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails genx.h2.jpg  

Had never seen a later picture of Ed Parker. Thanks! Didn't he die at the age of 53 or something? And what was it from??

Wade - The Cup Man,

I can't really anwer you query as to Billy Idol, simply because I don't think about Billy Idol, at all.

I do appreciate you bringing "unique" topics to this board, like this one, but ...............

I suggest that you keep your fascinations with "Hidden Symbolism" as pertaining to Aloha / EIC / TCB / Helter Skelter .......... and so on ............. to yourself, off this MB, or privately amongst those that "share" your passions.

-------------------------------------

As for TCB & it's meaning ------> I submit to you these words from "E" himself:

"Oath"

More self respect, more respect for fellow man.
    Respect for fellow students and instructors.
    Respect for all styles and techniques.
    Body conditioning, mental conditioning,
    meditation for calming and
    stilling of the mind and body.
    Sharpen your skills, increase mental awareness
    for all those who might choose
    a new outlook and personal philosophy.
    Freedom from constipation.

TCB Technique - applying all techniques into one.

- Elvis Presley 8th

The piece is written in EP's own hand, on the back of a torn standard-sized transmittal envelope, ......... and resides in private collector's hands.

You will note the next to the last line in the Oath -----> As evidenced from the full contents of the note, EP was under the influence of "medication" at the time ......... and the side-effects of barbiturate use (ie: constipation) were no doubt on his mind.

In other words: It is all tongue-in-cheek.

There is no hidden symbolism anywhere, except for crackpots who care to indulge in it. If I wanted to write a book of FICTION ------> I could give you and all of the fans some real DOOZIES that would literally blow your mind away ...........except for the fact, that I'm able to view things critically, uninterested in selling anything, and don't take other fans for fools.

- Capt. "EL."

The photo of Billy Idol and Ed Parker in front of the Aloha Cape (duplicate) is taken in Ed's home.

Elvis gave him a pair of EP glasses too.
    http://hometown.aol.com/skmccarty/images/tcblogo1.jpg
    It's never too late to take care of business.

any idea....

what year it was taken???

Unfortunately, no. I am sorry.

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by howardrobardhughes

Cherokee
    Cadillac King
    Good analysis, especially the last line
    TCB..
    Wade
    Wade, please don't take things out of context My response was not in reference to your original post, but in reference to the last line of Albert's post!!!!!!! Before Albert's post I did not see any reason to contribute to that thread!

Thread Closure .......

Wade -

You are more than welcome to re-start this thread from scratch, but it is now henceforth closed.

Out of respect for others posters / responders, the thread will stand.

I invite you to PM if you want to discuss this matter further & your future on this MB.

- Capt. "EL."

Temporary closure of this thread is - at this time - no longer necessary .......... interpersonal issues have, hopefully, now been permanently addressed.

- Capt. "EL."

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw
    The photo of Billy Idol and Ed Parker in front of the Aloha Cape (duplicate) is taken in Ed's home.

Elvis gave him a pair of EP glasses too.
    SP is correct.

EP gave Ed Parker (EP) two pairs of his trademark aviator EP/TCB insignia sunglasses (among many other things as well).

The glasses were first picked up by Jimmy Velvet and eventually sold to private hands, and also since changing hands. For a long time, until the designer of the glasses came forward with the true story, it was assumed that the eyeglasses were EP-Owned-Worn.

In essense, they are not. Elvis specifically requested that two pairs (one gold, the other silver), exactly like his, be made for Parker (because both shared the same initials). Ed Parker relays the story when recieved in his book (along with others). In keeping with Parker's tendency to idolize Elvis and transmit an overall positive portrait ................ the book is not entirely accurate on a number of levels.

I suppose in the eyes of some, these glasses (and other items) are associated with EP and that is sufficient, but they were not truly ever E's. They were obtained by Elvis with the intention of gifting, and gifted from Elvis to a MMM.

-----------------------

A similar story goes along with a particular kind of diamond ring that Elvis favored; EP purchased at the jeweler's and handed over to Parker at the same time; hence, not EP owned-used-worn. Parker, however, gives a slightly different (embellished) account in his book.

You can see why there are misunderstandings concerning events / those that were there. When the people who lived it can't even tell it accurately (for various reasons), ............ it really complicates and muddles the water when searching for the actual reality of the true events.

I assume that Parker gave the impression that the Aloha cape / belt were the ones used in Hawaii for the actual event, .............. they are not. Parker's are duplicates made later, again gifted from Elvis. I think all would agree, it does make for a very slight, but important difference.

The originals are @ Graceland (returned) & in private hands - respectively.

Parker, btw, ............. also had a nice custom-made "EP" initialed tooled-leather waist gun-holster from EP. I stress "from" because, again, one should be careful as to determining the full accurate provenance of such items.

---------------------------------

On another note, if Billy Idol is such a huge fan of EP, .......... I wonder if he made an offer on the display ........................ ?

- Capt. "EL."

That was my thought first when I saw this photo of Idol and Parker in front of the display, who knows maybe that was the topic for the moment how much would you take for this 'priceless' item....

Nice information Cappie....again I am amazed of the rest of the story associated with some of the items.

Here are some more photos

Billy with the Elvis shades and a different cape shot..

TCB

Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails part2i.jpg   part2h.jpg  

SP -

When it comes to EP's personal items .......... the true stories that accompany .................

"It Never Ceases To AMAZE ................ !!"

As you know, the glasses have long since been sold, but for whatever the reason, The Parker Estate has held onto the Cape / belt. It is a nice display, but I question the wisdom of placing lights inside of it (for these types of items). It is also a pity that the inner lining of the cape was not in some may made to be more visible.

------------------------

Wade -

Appreciate the additional pics of Parker's items. I also gather from the sneer and similiar Maltese Cross pendant that Idol is sporting ................. he's probably a huge EP fan.

That is indeed the Parker custom display case for the two pairs of glasses that I was referring to.

Interesting side story: Way back before Roberts came out of retirement and starting selling 31 Flavors of his versions -------> there was a fan out on the East Coast (US) who didn't like the crappy ones being sold by EPE (& others) .............. and set out to manufacture his own; they were made of gold-plated brass (he is some sort of metals worker). Ironically, the glasses / frame, save for the Insiginias (EP/TCB), were of a much higher quality than Roberts' originals. Later on, Roberts contacted and the poor guy (whom is a nice guy and never hand any ill intentions in this affair) ........... to stop making them - which, of course, he did.

I'm not deriding Roberts' glasses in any way here, either; Roberts puts out a nice product as far as the EP glasses go.

- Capt. "EL."

Yes the lights are going to do some serious damage no matter how long they have been used.

Reminds me of the Elvis on Tour suit I just saw at Mike Moon's museum, it is now very lightly faded due to light directly over it in the case he uses.

Real shame but many do not think through method of display or they cut corners due to additional expenses of having the right stuff built for displaying their items.

Was the east coast guy the same person PLick-ter got his from and tried to sell as the real mccoy's for the Vegas auction?

SP -

Definitely a real shame on that unseen stagesuit. Items can be forever ruined by ignorance and / or cheapness.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw
    Was the east coast guy the same person PLick-ter got his from and tried to sell as the real mccoy's for the Vegas auction?
    YES. Those are the same glasses (The insignias are of a poorer quality , slightly different than Roberts' and welded / bolted on ---------> Roberts' are mounted using ringlets / self-expanding braces) Lichter acquired in a trade ............... and then tried to pass them off as the real deal thru Bonhams (they did in fact sell, too). Such is Lichter. ANY piece from Lichter, as far as I'm concerned - even if genuine - is forever tainted in my book.

------------------

The E. Coast gentleman had no intentions of "going into the business", ............. merely an extension of his craft as applied to some EP items that - at the time - were not able to be had / found anywhere. In fact, his products were initially passed on thru trades.

- Capt. "EL."