Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Elvis would have expanded Graceland?

Do you think Elvis would have added to Graceland?

While I'm on the subject of Graceland, do any of you think had he have lived if he would have added or expanded Graceland to be larger and give him more room?

We know he added the racquetball building and turned the back porch into the jungle room. But do you think he would have built onto the house maybe built a new play room for him or Lisa or a home theater like a lot of movie stars do today?

Just curious as to what some of your thoughts are of this.
    Last edited by Elvislives72; 11-11-2008 at 03:54 PM.

I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..

Cool Graceland

Just my personal opinion and a little hear say through the years.. Elvis loved the old oigonal mansion, it's special areas that some to this day are actually not aware of/ Like any house, there are nooks and crannies that amaze even the buyer, if the seller has not pointed them out.
    I think Elvis loved the open land, hated to see it closing in, with everyday business' and the like..
    His need for privacy would have been fullfilled nicely without every adding anything, minus the many people who lived there and needed to go home.
    Some were body guards and friends, and as we know some were moochers.
    Elvis would have bough that beautiful place in Colorado, had they not said no to a fence..(the crazy people!)
    He wasn't out to change Graceland that much..just add some more areas where the "Clan" could hang out and give him some elbow room..and if he wanted to join them, he could..if not he went to his own upstairs private place, and we already know he spent a good deal of time there.

"I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post

Just my personal opinion and a little hear say through the years.. Elvis loved the old oigonal mansion, it's special areas that some to this day are actually not aware of/ Like any house, there are nooks and crannies that amaze even the buyer, if the seller has not pointed them out.
    I think Elvis loved the open land, hated to see it closing in, with everyday business' and the like..
    His need for privacy would have been fullfilled nicely without every adding anything, minus the many people who lived there and needed to go home.
    Elvis would have bough that beautiful place in Colorado, had they not said no to a fence..(the crazy people!)
    He wasn't out to change Graceland that much..just add some more areas where the "Clan" could hang out and give him some elbow room..and if he wanted to join them, he could..if not he went to his own upstairs private place, and we already know he spent a good deal of time there.

Agree

Though I think he maybe would've added a room to have his own home theater since he couldn't go to the normal one without being seen.
    "If in the twilight of memory
    we should meet once more,
    we shall speak together
    and you shall sing me a deeper song."

I could see him adding a movie theater as well as a bowling alley. He had one inside one of his California homes.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post

Thank you, Genie, I found this very interesting. I've always loved mansions like Graceland, there is so much charm to them, especially with all the features, you mention. I've always loved those movies with the houses with all those characteristics, lol, I think that's where I got my interest in them, hehe.

It is a shame that the grounds are now in the middle of businesses and not so open. That's the beauty of the country, for sure. It would have been lovely to look out of the top floor windows, and enjoy the landscape, I'm sure.

I also like to hear the way you described Elvis' "clan" hanging out, also having his privacy, sounds pretty good to me, lol

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    i don't know if he would have added to the actual mansion, but he definitely would have constructed additions. maybe turned his father's office into the media center, probably would have added a whole complex for Lisa Marie to stay at, cause if Elvis were still living, Lisa wouldn't have objections to Memphis as she does now. and i can definitely see a whole playground for the grandbabies.
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I'm not so sure that Elvis would have extended Graceland, as time went on there would have been less MM in the house. More family room perhaps? The racket ball room could have been converted in time to accommodate a home entertainment room.

Who knows Graceland could have become Elvis' second home and he could have moved elsewhere given the business build up in the area?

I think Elvis was a spur of the moment type person-and as the whims hit him he made them happen. So its hard to say what his next whim may have been. Wish I could make all my whims reality

When you look at the original pictures of Graceland, you can't help but think why didn't he buy up all the rest of the open land to ensure that developers wouldn't build right next to his property? Look at all fo the expanded extra land that he could have purchased where homes sit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    When you look at the original pictures of Graceland, you can't help but think why didn't he buy up all the rest of the open land to ensure that developers wouldn't build right next to his property? Look at all fo the expanded extra land that he could have purchased where homes sit now.

Thats an easy one-because he did not want to.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Thats an easy one-because he did not want to.
    Apparently not too easy because Priscilla said back in 07 on Sirius in an interview with George Klein that Elvis told her he was gonna buy up the land when he got back home from Germany.

Apparently not too easy because Priscilla said back in 07 on Sirius in an interview with George Klein that Elvis told her he was gonna buy up the land when he got back home from Germany.
    But he never did it. So if he was going to do it when he got back home in 1960-he obviously changed his mind-the whim had passed.

But he never did it. So if he was going to do it when he got back home in 1960-he obviously changed his mind-the whim had passed.
    No it's because developers beat him to it and developed an entire neighborhood around the estate. Not because he changed his mind.

No it's because developers beat him to it and developed an entire neighborhood around the estate. Not because he changed his mind.
    Never heard this before-where did you get this info?
    Its of little consequence, he did not do it. If it had been a major burning desire to acquire massive amounts of land around Graceland-he could have done it in 57, 58, 59-he could have done it from Germany, he could have sent his father home to look into it-it just was not that important to him.

I rather doubt that Elvis would have had more buildings built on his property but I bet he would have had some changes made to the existing ones.

Diane

Never heard this before-where did you get this info?
    Its of little consequence, he did not do it. If it had been a major burning desire to acquire massive amounts of land around Graceland-he could have done it in 57, 58, 59-he could have done it from Germany, he could have sent his father home to look into it-it just was not that important to him.
    According to Priscilla's recollection it was.

According to Priscilla's recollection it was.
    I do recall reading in one of the 60 or so books I have on Elvis that the wheelchair bound Gary Pepper lived in a house on a street which adjoined Gracelands rear property line-I think it was owned by Elvis or his father.
    Anyone else recall this?
    Is there a link to a transcript of this Priscilla interview-or the actual Sirius Geroge Klein interview would love to hear it?

I do recall reading in one of the 60 or so books I have on Elvis that the wheelchair bound Gary Pepper lived in a house on a street which adjoined Gracelands rear property line-I think it was owned by Elvis or his father.
    Anyone else recall this?
    Is there a link to a transcript of this Priscilla interview-or the actual Sirius Geroge Klein interview would love to hear it?
    Don't know abut the interview being online anymore but she did say it because it wa posted on another Elvis forum back in early 07 by Jason Edge who ran a site called Elvis International Network.

Don't know abut the interview being online anymore but she did say it because it wa posted on another Elvis forum back in early 07 by Jason Edge who ran a site called Elvis International Network.
    I'll browse around, if there is a transcript I'll find it somewhere.

I'll browse around, if there is a transcript I'll find it somewhere.
    You do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast