Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why didn't Elvis go back into acting.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    We have discussed this before-this film was a box office hit Grossing to date near $161 million (about $500 million when adjusted for inflation)
    The film won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Evergreen" with the award shared by its songwriters, Streisand and Paul Williams, and was also nominated in the categories of Best Cinematography (Robert Surtees), Best Sound (Robert Knudson, Dan Wallin, Robert Glass and Tom Overton) and Original Music Score (Roger Kellaway). It won five Golden Globe Awards for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (Streisand), Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (Kristofferson), Best Original Score (Paul Williams and Kenny Ascher) and Best Original Song, (
    It was critically- fairly well received. So I'm not sure how it can be called a bad film.
    lot's of bad films do well at the box office it's Streisand popularity at the time that carried it.

2. The golden globes are easier to win because their are so many categories
    (Their was a lack of musicals that year.)
    3. At the Academy awards the movie wasn't nominated for any acting adwards and Streisand is the one who sang at the ceremony not Kristofferson

The movie was bad, there were tons of movies that were coming out around the same time that were better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    lot's of bad films do well at the box office it's Streisand popularity at the time that carried it.

2. The golden globes are easier to win because their are so many categories
    (Their was a lack of musicals that year.)
    3. At the Academy awards the movie wasn't nominated for any acting adwards and Streisand is the one who sang at the ceremony not Kristofferson

The movie was bad, there were tons of movies that were coming out around the same time that were better.
    Well thats obviously an opinion-that many people did not share or it would have not done so well and got some fairly good press around the world.. I think you and I discussed this once before. I have pointed out I went and saw it in a theater when it came out and it was well received and played about 4 weeks in our area. Money talks-it says people liked the finished product. Now good/bad movie is subjective opinion no matter how you look at it. But real bombs such as "Ishtar" and the $40 million dollar turkey "Heavens Gate" make no money and are panned universally-this is not the case with the 1976 "A Star is Born" I must respectfully point out.
    I think I have also in the past pointed out that the movie that "Elvis" would have made with Steisand-would not have been the exact same movie that "Kristofferson" made with BS.
    The script went thru revisions after Kristofferson was cast, and so did the music for his part.
    This would have been done for Elvis with probably even more care since he was a not just another singer-he was the start of a music revolution and this carries weight..

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I truly believe the reason he didnt go ahead and make A Star Is Born was because he didn't want to go through all the work it would take..like getting back in shape, which meant loosing alot of weight, getting of the meds etc..Just think he didn't care enough by then, and believe thats why...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

TCB Mafia
    Has everyone watched "A Star is Born"?

Kris Kristofferson (John) is sniffing hard drugs in the beginning of the movie, before going onto stage, to sing. He doesn't have any respect for his fans, and lets them down, by going off on a tangent, on a borrowed motorbike on stage, and ending up in hospital. He and his helpers leave his date, Esther (Barbara) to fend for herself, at the gig.

Barbra holds the movie together. Her character, Esther, is more talented than John (well, yes, lol) she records "Evergreen" in the Studio with John's help, she "hears the music"; she then sings at one of John's huge Concert gigs, at his insistance; Esther obtains her start in the business.

The movie ended up being girly (which I like, lol) Esther was affectionate, there were lots of cuddles and a bath scene with John. She helped turn him around, with his attitude, his drunken ways, to a certain extent. He tried. John wasn't interested in his career, and he died in the end. I balled my eyes out.

I wouldn't have liked to see Elvis act in that entire movie, only bits of it! lol (guess the bits).

One thing I noticed. Elvis, no offence to Kris' character, (I don't know how Kris is in person) has a lot more class and dignity. I just can't see Elvis acting as a run-of-the-mill rock star, (which Kris' character was in comparison to Elvis, again, no offense to anyone) being second billing to Barbra, as was the plot.

I can see why Barbra wanted Elvis in the roll though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12