Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: why did elvis agree to have a tv special concert taped in 77?

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia epmoodyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,086

    why did elvis agree to have a tv special concert taped in 77?

    i dont know the exact facts whos idea was it to have a tv concert special filmed in june of 77?.....obviosly must of been some dopehead..i mean everyone knew elvis was in the worst shape of his life..i mean even elvis knew this..vocally he was fine..with his voice he could make the building shake....why did elvis say yes . ..sure elvis came to accept his appearance the few extra pounds and all. in the later years..i think that elvis did not get to see the cbs special ..because he passed away... it was shown on tv on october 3 77....why didint these fools make a special lets say in june 75 where elvis was much better i cant figure it out...but im pretty sure had he lived and seen it before it hit the tv screens ..it would of never aired on tv.elvis wouldint of allowed it to be shown...am i right or wrong? opinions please thanksto all
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    463
    money was the reason and that was it.

    ..he had about a million in the bank from what I read and he always wanted to keep at least a million to say, he's a millionaire.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    368
    It was Parker who approached CBS from my understanding. Elvis was pushed into doing it for the money. But if you think about it Elvis wasn't at his worst in June of 77. He was in worse shape in the spring/summer of 76 when he weight close to 300 pounds and was really bloated during that period. So imagine had Parker appraocehd CBS in the summer of76 instead of 77. Elvis' image would have been shattered to pieces by the media. True he didn't look good in 77 but he looked a lot better then than he did a year earlier

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    money was the reason and that was it.

    ..he had about a million in the bank from what I read and he always wanted to keep at least a million to say, he's a millionaire.
    Actually that's not true. Elvis had about $5 million in his savings account at the time of the tapings and his death and the CBS special hadn't been shown by then so he couldn't have recieved or deposited that check yet.

    But money was the reason it was done to begin with but more by Parker.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    Actually that's not true. Elvis had about $5 million in his savings account at the time of the tapings and his death and the CBS special hadn't been shown by then so he couldn't have recieved or deposited that check yet.

    But money was the reason it was done to begin with but more by Parker.
    my bad, I have to look it up. but what other reason would Elvis agree to have himself filmed when he knew he didn't look his best. Unless it was RCA's doing to promote Moody Blue LP but he only sang 2 songs from that LP. Unchained Melody & If You Love Me (Let Me Know). Even though Mood Blue was released in July of 77, he didn't even know the title of his own LP that was released. He's quoted in his Rapid City show June 21st as saying, this next song is called Unchained Melody released on the album called, Unchained Melody".
    Or Maybe recording, Elvis in Concert/double LP was a step towards getting out of The RCA contract. That's the only reason I could think of how you could release two LPs at once and promote it with a TV Special.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    368
    Speaking of Elvis In Concert I was at Best Buy today and they had the original soundtrack of the special still in print. I thought it got deleted from the catalog back when they trimmed the catalog down? I guess not.

  7. #7
    International Level 4THEHEART's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Istanbul TR
    Posts
    566
    I'm only thankful for every minute that I'm able to see him singing so I never complain that it happened..shape could matter for some sort of people I know.. but this is pointless to focus on when something much more important and beautiful is happening in our own life time..so I never intend to miss such an opportunity for nothing..bad shape or worst look..hey! he even doesn't live on this earth, let alone being in any kind of shape..yet there's nothing changed in the way we love him..don't think there's anything to hide from public eye in 77..

  8. #8
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993
    Money has to be the motivating factor! The fact that Elvis was pushed into doing this show is a travesty. Elvis couldn't have been so blind to his health and appearance? Perhaps Elvis was aware subconciously and thats why he did the CBS Special!

    Elvis should have been advised that this would be one of the biggest setbacks in his career. Sure there was the EWH book on the horizon, perhaps Elvis thought that this would be the way to show the world at large that he was still knocking em dead! Unfortunately the concerts only go to show that either Elvis was delusional to his appearance or others truly had no control to stop a man who had sadly lost control of his life.

    As much as I love Elvis, this is the lowest point in his career to be filmed, the Elvis In Concert footage is frequently used by the media to point to the parody that Elvis had become.

    Elvis should have been filmed in Hollywood California in Feb 1977, if Elvis had seen footage of this show maybe, just maybe it would have been the wakeup call he needed to make changes in his life that could have made a difference.

    It breaks my heart to see a once mighty man humbled in such a cruel way.

  9. #9
    TCB Mafia epmoodyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    I'm only thankful for every minute that I'm able to see him singing so I never complain that it happened..shape could matter for some sort of people I know.. but this is pointless to focus on when something much more important and beautiful is happening in our own life time..so I never intend to miss such an opportunity for nothing..bad shape or worst look..hey! he even doesn't live on this earth, let alone being in any kind of shape..yet there's nothing changed in the way we love him..don't think there's anything to hide from public eye in 77..
    very nicely said..mabye you didint understand my thread..i am in no way making fun of elvis i would never do that. as you say in your post ..yet there's nothing changed in the way we love him..i loved elvis just like you.acepted him as he was made no difference to me ..and i am also thankful for what elvis left us including the cbs special..also think theres hide from public eye how elvis was in 77...shame that epe dont have the same feelings..they will never release the cbs special...there the ones hiding that special...still u gotta admit 77 was not the proper year to do a tv special...he was a very ill man ..elvis should of been in a hospital not in front of tv cameras...had that been the case mabye he would be alive today
    Last edited by epmoodyblue; 10-17-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

  10. #10
    Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Posts
    6,349
    I think it was the money, and being lazy not to have to come up with something, different or challenging. THis bad habit made him do too many of the same movies, record too many songs that he didn't really like and do to many Vegas shows.

    A real shame, because we all know to what amazing heights Elvis can come when he put his heart and soul in projects, movies, songs and shows.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

    Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom






  11. #11
    TCB Mafia ehollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,307
    the Elvis In Concert footage is frequently used by the media to point to the parody that Elvis had become...It breaks my heart to see a once mighty man humbled in such a cruel way.
    These two phrases speak volumes. When the debate arises about Elvis-post Aloha, this is really the way many see him. It is also why I don't understand why we need Elvis in Concert marketed.

    Yes, we have purists here on the MB (Brad, that's you!), and they will argue that even under such trying circumstances, Elvis could still belt out a song -- and this is very true, because when he was 'on,' no one could compete with his incredible voice. However, Elvis also prided himself on his stage performance that was part of the overall singing experience. In these later years, those performances were a shadow of his earlier performances and what he provided to his fans. (Ironically, as I post this, I am listening to a concert from the winter engagement of 1970. Elvis says "Man, I wish I could just stand up here and sing like other singers, but people would say 'Man, why can't he move anymore.'")

    That was exactly what happened to him in the end. Its a sad chapter to his brilliant storied career.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

    John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

  12. #12
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993
    Yes there are purists who will say that Elvis could still could knock em dead even in the CBS Special, I would agree to a certain extent but realistically when I listen, I can hear Elvis struggle, he sounds out of breath in some instances. He voice has a different style, yes he can be powerful but the control and finesse of years previous just isn't there.

    I will probably be shot down in flames, however it has to be said.. Elvis is not very good in these shows. I understand that there are a lot of people who like/prefer Elvis in this period, there's nothing wrong in that, but to me this is a low point which I struggle to listen to.

    I have to be brutally honest, when I watch this show, I see a man who is terminally ill and dying

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia ehollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,307
    [quote=Jumpsuit Junkie;254615].... realistically when I listen, I can hear Elvis struggle, he sounds out of breath in some instances. He voice has a different style, yes he can be powerful but the control and finesse of years previous just isn't there...[quote]

    Very true, very very true. Again, I can understand why it hasn't been marketed and sold to the public. I can also understand Graceland's decision to have him at Aloha and holding.......I'm much more inclined to come back and listen again and again if he's not struggling on stage with his voice and performance and not become a parody of himself.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

    John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

  14. #14
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Obviously money was a major contributing factor. Elvis hadn't been in a recording studio in over a year, him and Parker both needed money. It's really bizzare how Elvis went from January 1973 until June 1977 without appearing on television of any sort. Parker sure chose one helluva time to close that deal for the Special.

    Of course Elvis was not the same man from 73, or even 1975 for that matter, but it is what it is and thats the way I look at it. Atleast we have this piece of footage that documents the state Elvis was in his life at this time both physically and emotionally.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  15. #15
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    money was the reason and that was it.

    ..he had about a million in the bank from what I read and he always wanted to keep at least a million to say, he's a millionaire.
    I heard he had just over a thousand dollars in the bank and one million in checking at the time of his death. Is this true?
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  16. #16
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    These two phrases speak volumes. When the debate arises about Elvis-post Aloha, this is really the way many see him. It is also why I don't understand why we need Elvis in Concert marketed.

    Yes, we have purists here on the MB (Brad, that's you!), and they will argue that even under such trying circumstances, Elvis could still belt out a song -- and this is very true, because when he was 'on,' no one could compete with his incredible voice. However, Elvis also prided himself on his stage performance that was part of the overall singing experience. In these later years, those performances were a shadow of his earlier performances and what he provided to his fans. (Ironically, as I post this, I am listening to a concert from the winter engagement of 1970. Elvis says "Man, I wish I could just stand up here and sing like other singers, but people would say 'Man, why can't he move anymore.'")

    That was exactly what happened to him in the end. Its a sad chapter to his brilliant storied career.
    Glad you call me a "purist" Liz

    Anyways, I think Elvis set the standard to high in his shows when he first came back. I mean First thing I ever watched of Elvis was TTWII, and then second was Aloha, and all i kept thinking when watching Aloha was why isn't he moving more and bouncing around like I had seen in ttwii.
    What I find interesting is, last night while reading some in the Concert Years Book 1969-1977 the August 1970 Vegas stand, was they noted Elvis didn't move around as much as he had during he had his first two engagements. I was thinking what the heck were these people watching when I read that. The thing is, with 1977, or any other year for that matter, when Elvis wanted to perform he could sing the heck out of anything 1971 or 1977 it don't matter.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  17. #17
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    These two phrases speak volumes. When the debate arises about Elvis-post Aloha, this is really the way many see him. It is also why I don't understand why we need Elvis in Concert marketed..
    The thing is, EPE covers the post aloha years so badly if it wasn't for the FTD collectors label we wouldnt know nothing from that period except for what the bootleggers supply us with , thank god for them !

    I for one love the CBS TV Special. An Over weight Elvis and not all there but saying that we had some great perfromances from him he got up on stage and did what he had done for so many years before, although all the fast action wasnt there for him all the feeling and emotion was still foremost in all the songs and that is one that matters most to me!!

    IMO compairing it to 69 (the comeback special) or 72 (aloha from Hawaii) is the wrong thing to do, Elvis did what he did without trying it was all natural to him. I feel the 69 although it was very good was also well staged the banter between the other band members was well rehearesed and as for the Aloha concert you could tell that Elvis was playing for the camera and not the fans, where as in 1977 I dont think it really mattered that the cameras where there to him he was just there to be himself and to perform the way he did.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I think it was the money, and being lazy not to have to come up with something, different or challenging. THis bad habit made him do too many of the same movies, record too many songs that he didn't really like and do to many Vegas shows.

    A real shame, because we all know to what amazing heights Elvis can come when he put his heart and soul in projects, movies, songs and shows.
    I have to agree with this. The concerts became what the movies where in the 60s.

    He didn't even sing all these new great songs he had recently recorded. These songs could have made up more than half the set of his show.

    Way Down
    Pledging My Love
    Moody Blue
    She Thinks I Still Care
    It's Easy For You
    He'll Have To Go
    Love Coming Down
    For The Heart
    Last Farewell

  19. #19
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Agreed, a simple update in his live on stage repitore would've given the show a great lift, for Elvis and everyone involved instead of the same setlist almost night after night.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  20. #20
    International Level 4THEHEART's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Istanbul TR
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by epmoodyblue View Post
    very nicely said..mabye you didint understand my thread..i am in no way making fun of elvis i would never do that. as you say in your post ..yet there's nothing changed in the way we love him..i loved elvis just like you.acepted him as he was made no difference to me ..and i am also thankful for what elvis left us including the cbs special..also think theres hide from public eye how elvis was in 77...shame that epe dont have the same feelings..they will never release the cbs special...there the ones hiding that special...still u gotta admit 77 was not the proper year to do a tv special...he was a very ill man ..elvis should of been in a hospital not in front of tv cameras...had that been the case mabye he would be alive today
    dear epmoodyblue..sorry you got my words personal somehow but it was general and I never thought you ridiculed him..what I'm tired of is there are too many people including EPE that thinks his final years was something to hide or even shame of and I'm completely against this idea..he had his life and did what he was able to do(even more)till his last moment and there is no meaning put effort to judge or change his life which is a part of our history now..as for his being pushed to overwork,yes I'm completely agree with you, he needed a long time to get a good rest and treatment..then again,no one would've liked this idea including a part of his fans..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How often Do You Watch Elvis In Concert the CBS Special
    By Unchained Melody in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 06:14 AM
  2. Elvis In Concert - CBS Special
    By ksimms2 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 08:21 AM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
  4. Taped phone coversation w/Red West late'76 analysis
    By howardrobardhughes in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 11:28 AM
  5. Elvis In Concert (cbs Special Se)
    By mn-designs in forum (alternate) Artwork discussion and Work-In-Progress
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •