Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you know that Elvis was born during a tornado?

Did you know that Elvis was born during a tornado?

I was watching a documentary about tornados and they showed one that destroyed parts of Tupelo, MS in 1935 and the newspaper that reported it was dated January 8, 1935 and that the reporter for the show said "ironically that Elvis Presley was born that exact same day and time as the tornado went through and just happened to miss the small house that Presley was born in." It's as if God pushed the tornado away from the Presley's so that Elvis could be born.

After all these years I never knew this.

It's not true, and this is one of the more minor Elvis myths that has popped up over the years.

The tornado that almost destroyed Tupelo occurred on April 5, 1936 and 216 people were killed.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news...o_famous.shtml

http://blogs.usatoday.com/weather/20...ister_tha.html

http://www.djournal.com/pages/archive.asp?ID=216342

Also, if Elvis had been born during a tornado, that would not have been "ironic" at all.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

yeh i think i have read somewhere that it was in 1936....but it would have been a cool fact if Elvis had been born during one..
    -SatninLove
    Last edited by SatninLove; 10-20-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    "There's A Sweet Sweet Spirit In This Place"....

In the seriss Good Rockin Tonight (i think i've got that right) there is a scene where Gladys and toddler Elvis run for cover into some sort of underground shelter from the tornado
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

The tornado that ravaged Tupelo in April of 1936 killed 233 people. Also.....it is most unusual for any of us here in the South to have tornadoes in January, they are most prevelant in the spring and early summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    The tornado that ravaged Tupelo in April of 1936 killed 233 people. Also.....it is most unusual for any of us here in the South to have tornadoes in January, they are most prevelant in the spring and early summer months.
    True. Almost unheard of during the winter months.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

So there was a tornado that spared the Presley's? But on the documentary it specifically showed the date and it was 1935 not 36. And they brought to the attention that it happen the very day Elvis was born. Interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    So there was a tornado that spared the Presley's? But on the documentary it specifically showed the date and it was 1935 not 36. And they brought to the attention that it happen the very day Elvis was born. Interesting to say the least.
    Do you remember the name of the documentary and what station aired it? This just goes to show that you can NOT believe everything you read or hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    It's not true, and this is one of the more minor Elvis myths that has popped up over the years.

The tornado that almost destroyed Tupelo occurred on April 5, 1936 and 216 people were killed.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news...o_famous.shtml

http://blogs.usatoday.com/weather/20...ister_tha.html

http://www.djournal.com/pages/archive.asp?ID=216342

Also, if Elvis had been born during a tornado, that would not have been "ironic" at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post

Exactly. The documentary was wrong with it's information - as these kinds of things usually are.

There was a reported tornado years later the day before his birthday (10th or 11th), I think?>?>?>?> Who can corroborate this story???
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Do you remember the name of the documentary and what station aired it? This just goes to show that you can NOT believe everything you read or hear.
    No. I thought it was History or Discovery but when I tried to scan back using my dvr it didn't say anything about what I was watching. So it must have been one of those TBA type of showings on a rare channel. I love those type of shows about tornadoes and thought this was crazy. I can't even watch a show about storms without Elvis being mentioned.

FWIW, the tornado only killed one person according to the reporter.

The tornado that ravaged Tupelo in April of 1936 killed 233 people.
    It was 216. Check any of the major tornado lists.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Didn't it say in "Last Train To Memphis" that Elvis was born during a thunderstorm?
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    It was 216. Check any of the major tornado lists.
    I came up with 233 after reading the 3 articles that you gave links to..they all 3 list the same number. Are you referring to a different tornado?

Could it be possible we are talking about 2 different tornados-one which was in 1936 and was very deadly and another which was not nearly as bad in 1935?
    I am just thinking out loud.
    We have had about 4 in the last 50 years which hit my town or the directly surrounding area-but have had many which skip by or around us and kill few or do little damage-but the only ones that are recalled are the 4 big ones.
    I also agree we have few tornados after, say, late October -but have had them (or threats of them) in Dec., Jan., and Feb. in my area.
    But regardless the Presleys were there in 1936 when the deadly one hit.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Could it be possible we are talking about 2 different tornados-one which was in 1936 and was very deadly and another which was not nearly as bad in 1935?
    I am just thinking out loud.
    We have had about 4 in the last 50 years which hit my town or the directly surrounding area-but have had many which skip by or around us and kill few or do little damage-but the only ones that are recalled are the 4 big ones.
    I also agree we have few tornados after, say, late October -but have had them (or threats of them) in Dec., Jan., and Feb. in my area.
    But regardless the Presleys were there in 1936 when the deadly one hit.
    I guess I'm lost! All 3 of Getlo's articles say that 233 people were killed, the last one gives the date of April 5, 1936 and the death toll being 233.

TCBGIRL
    A tornado y Mississippi in January?Humm

I've also heard the tornado/storm story

Quote Originally Posted by jon_burrows View Post
    Didn't it say in "Last Train To Memphis" that Elvis was born during a thunderstorm?
    No, it didn't.

In any case, if there was a tornado, Dr William Hunt wouldn't have been out and about on his way to the Presleys.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast