Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omaha and Rapid City

Coming On Strong
    I agree, stillovinelvis. Granted, I would love to hear what they are, but Elvis was put in such a spotlight that there is very little that hasn't been recounted, or speculated, about him. Lisa had very little time with her father, really. I think it is absolutely appropriate that she should keep her most special memories private. I respect Lisa for that, as well as many other decisions she has made concerning Elvis.

Backstage Pass
    I read somewhere that the upstairs of Graceland had been emptied, is this true?...either way I don't think it should be opened to the public as I think some things should be kept private....

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Yes, a worker at an installationcompany had to work on defective airconditioners in Graceland. He said that the upperfloor was emptied, and that Lisa's old room was filled with boxes. He hadn't been in Elvisroom, so wasn't sure if that room was also empty. They (the workers) weren't allowed to wander around and someone from Graceland security was there to check on them.

A pretty nasty thought that the first floor, Elvis' floor, is emty. So in fact the whole excuse of EPE that they honour Elvis by not showing that floor to the public is a marketing technique to keep something at hand in case of decreasing visitors. If they really would honour Elvis, then they would have kept it the way it was. Perhaps moving some personal things (clothes, books, etc.) to another place, but not emptying the rooms.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Much of this talk about "respecting" EP's wishes as justification for keeping the upstairs closed - is indeed a marketing ploy.

Think about it, they already moved lots of stuff from the 2nd floor to the annex for display; EP's desk, chair, organ, some books (are those pieces of tufted leather walls from the office - real or replica?), "Bodyguard Room" bed, dressers, closet items, etc., ..................... how is that keeping the upstairs "private."

The real reason is logistics, renovating for access, people gawking at a death scene, ........... and as already stated, something to pull from their bag of tricks when the times dictate an alteration of strategy to keep the people coming. (Same goes for EIC, too, I might add).

There is much to be seen in the upstairs, however, ................ the lay-out, EP's bedroom, huge bed, TV's (including in the ceiling), the windows long ago forever shut to the outside world, .............. and of course the infamous bathroom, broken intercom, circular shower, huge marbled counter and swivel TV set atop, ....... etc....

Inventory was taken / items removed in the days-weeks-months following EP's passing; all at Vernon's direction. Am sure there are things remaining, but like I said, it was all inventoried at the time - way before Priscilla ever took over and Graceland ever opened to the public.

In more ways than one, the upstairs is not truly "originally" the same as when EP was there - perhaps only the facade / surface is. So, even if it really has been "emptied", ......... it can / will all be replaced to recreate when necessary.

- Capt. "EL."

Mad Tigers
    so with what is out there - which is the BEST DVD version of Omaha and Rapid City to get. I guess what is the DVD title with the best possible copy of the shows..??

thanks

Mark

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Mark, I have a DVD I'm pretty pleased with, but NightRider has one which looks to maybe be a bit superior...and I can't seem to locate that thread right now. Chris?

On this subject, I just put a little collage together of some of my wannabe DVD stills (I've taken pics of my TV screen with the camera on my phone, so these could be a little clearer) of Unchained Melody from The Great Performances.

Watching this single performance reminds us of how good a new EIC DVD could be...and of course, how great Elvis was so close to the end.

As the Captain so well put it, here are a few shots from that moment of transcendence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unchained Melody collage.jpg  
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Mark, I have a DVD I'm pretty pleased with, but NightRider has one which looks to maybe be a bit superior...and I can't seem to locate that thread right now. Chris?
    Someone mention my name ?

To read that thread click HERE
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    GREAT PHOTOS BOBBY!!!

Those photos are just another example of how passionate Elvis still was about his music in 1977. While obviously fighting health problems, those photos prove that, not only was Elvis still passionate about making music, but that he didn't look nearly as bad as EPE would like you to believe! THANKS A MILLION FOR POSTING THOSE FANTASTIC PICTURES!!

Speaking of those pictures....since your camera phone takes such good photos, maybe we ought to have you create an entire DVD of the CBS special using your phone....it would be in pristine condition, based on the stills you posted!! What do you think -- good idea, huh?

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Well, at 20 cents per frame...

That of course would be the only drawback.

Glad you liked those pics. That DVD being of such great quality, those did turn out a lot better than the last pics I took (which were of VCD images). Those sure are some great images. I guess this is about the thrid time I've said it now, but I really don't get why they didn't include that performance in the special. Not even addressing the high caliber of the performance for the moment (OK, so maybe I just did), I think that angle was very flattering actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Well, at 20 cents per frame...

That of course would be the only drawback.
    AHHH...figuring out the price already!! Spoken like a true potential EPE employee!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Actually that is the price per photo, once I go over 20 in a month, that I send from my phone to an e-mail...or something like that.

So....at 20 cents per frame, to create a DVD copy of the CBS Special, you'd have to end up selling copies for somewhere around $1,000 each, right??

TCB!
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12