Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Elvis have a vocal coach?

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Elvis was surrounded by many people. But only one friend in his troops was a professional musician and singer and that was Charlie Hodge. Charlie's role in Elvis' life has always been underestimated. Partly because Charlie himself who made the choice to dedicate his life and skills to Elvis. Charlie already coached him during the militairy service. During his army time Elvis' voice made a big change even without recording and performing the way he did in the 50's.

This period shows us that Elvis had a powerful voice but he needed coaching to get control of it. To get rid of the sharp edges. Voice control and breath control. Elvis recognized quality in other people..... that's why he trusted Charlie in these matters.
    To a lot of people Charlie was just a mascotte, the goof who handed Elvis his water and scarfs. But on that stage and during Elvis musical career in the 60's and 70's Charlie was one of the most important figures in Elvis' entourage.....

thanks for the information, really interesting to know

Say what you will about Charlie Hodge, but a) he ruined the '68 sit down shows with his inane and embarrassing chatter and b) he was absolutely unnecessary on stage with Elvis from '69 onwards.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

I agree it was inane but embarrasing?...no because it was supposed to be natural and informal and I guess that's what Charlie was doing. He may have been unnecessary on stage but apparently he WAS necessary to Elvis or he wouldn't have had him there.

diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I agree it was inane but embarrasing?
    Yes.

He may have been unnecessary on stage but apparently he WAS necessary to Elvis or he wouldn't have had him there
    Only in Elvis' mind, and it was based on his insecurities when he first returned to the stage.

Take Charlie away from the TCB band, and it wouldn't have made a shred of difference. There were enough voices to back Elvis, and Charlie's guitar provided next to nothing.

By the end, Charlie was there on stage, virtually degrading himself as a mic stand.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    I agree it was inane but embarrasing?...no because it was supposed to be natural and informal and I guess that's what Charlie was doing. He may have been unnecessary on stage but apparently he WAS necessary to Elvis or he wouldn't have had him there.

diane
    agree diane

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Ah, no, TT.

It was not breath freshener. The consensus, supported by the MM and the musicians, is that it was an inhaler to help with his breathing and his lungs.

Hmmm....now that I think about it....you're quite correct, Getlo. I just thought maybe that it could've also been breath freshener since he would always kiss the ladies in the audience during the shows.

Say what you will about Charlie Hodge, but a) he ruined the '68 sit down shows with his inane and embarrassing chatter and b) he was absolutely unnecessary on stage with Elvis from '69 onwards.

I'll completely agree with you on Charlie being embarrassing during the '68 Comeback Special 'sit down' shows. Elvis even made reference directly to Charlie as being a "big mouth" during one of the shows. It's actually one thing that completely ruins listening to the audio of both sit-down shows for me.

As far as him being onstage with Elvis and being useless from '69 onwards, I also tend to agree.

Elvis could've gotten his own water and scarves and picked up his guitar (IMO) by himself. Most other artists I've seen onstage (except for a few) always pick up their guitars on their own and it's really annoying as heck to see Charlie following Elvis around onstage during the final years putting his scarves around his neck.

Who came up with that idea, anyway?? It worked fine from 69-72 for Elvis just to walk over and have Charlie put a scarf around his neck - why did they change the routine?

Yes.

Only in Elvis' mind, and it was based on his insecurities when he first returned to the stage.

Take Charlie away from the TCB band, and it wouldn't have made a shred of difference. There were enough voices to back Elvis, and Charlie's guitar provided next to nothing.

By the end, Charlie was there on stage, virtually degrading himself as a mic stand.

Wow. We agree again, Getlo. Great points, sir.

A key example of Charlie being a 'mic stand' is both during "That's All Right, Mama"; "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "Unchained Melody" and the 'gay' routine during "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" is just absolutely horrid. It may be funny to some but it's very embarassing to watch during the EIC outtakes.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 10-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.

I guess I'm just more lenient towards issues like this.

Diane

I think Charlie did a pretty good job of harmonies behind Elvis-"when you could hear them".

I have to agree with Diane, Charlie was necessary to Elvis and it was Elvis's show. When you get right down to the nitty gritty who was necessary beyond Elvis and the TCB band? He could have done entertaining shows without all the others. But the show Elvis wanted included all he toured with, the Stamps, the Sweets and the orchestra. IMO it would have been great if he had once in a while toured with just the TCB-a synthesizer could have been played on songs which needed any added strings or horns-and more of a tighter rock sound would have come through maybe.
    But all who were on the stage were what Elvis thought was necessary for his show.

diane
    I haven't watched them in awhile...refresh my memory please on what Charlie was babbling about?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Elvis could've gotten his own water and scarves and picked up his guitar (IMO) by himself. Most other artists I've seen onstage (except for a few) always pick up their guitars on their own and it's really annoying as heck to see Charlie following Elvis around onstage during the final years putting his scarves around his neck.
    I really agree with that point SP. That scene from '77 where Elvis is literally tossing scarves to a lower balcony crowd about every 3 seconds is very annoying. I lose count of how many he has tossed at one point. I always feel good about the scarf I have...it's from Vegas and was NOT one of hundreds he was tossing out....plus it was the LAST scarf he had on that night. The scarf tossing business really got out of hand the last couple of years on the tours.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I really agree with that point SP. That scene from '77 where Elvis is literally tossing scarves to a lower balcony crowd about every 3 seconds is very annoying. I lose count of how many he has tossed at one point. I always feel good about the scarf I have...it's from Vegas and was NOT one of hundreds he was tossing out....plus it was the LAST scarf he had on that night. The scarf tossing business really got out of hand the last couple of years on the tours.
    I think he knew how the girls treasured them and just wanted to get as many into the crowd as possible.
    But before throwing scarves became "an assembly line" I can see how you feel that yours is much more special.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think he knew how the girls treasured them and just wanted to get as many into the crowd as possible.
    But before throwing scarves became "an assembly line" I can see how you feel that yours is much more special.
    I'm glad that makes sense. I had kissed him earlier....when he was "scarfless" He had this last one on for awhile and I was thinking "who's going to get that one?"....low and behold he brought it to me and I knew then that I could die a happy female!
    And the 2nd and 3rd happiest people in the room were my mom and dad!!

I'm really happy for you Rosanne. It's something you'll never forget for sure.

Diane

As annoying as Charlie could be.... WHY does Elvis still have him around ? on stage that is ? maybe somehow down deep Elvis heart charlie was important ? ... give him drink, sang harmony... hand down Elvis some scarf's...

I'd better stop... I am way off topic now ..

I'm glad that makes sense. I had kissed him earlier....when he was "scarfless" He had this last one on for awhile and I was thinking "who's going to get that one?"....low and behold he brought it to me and I knew then that I could die a happy female!
    Have you ever found footage from that day? Would be something really cool for you to have on tape, at least the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Have you ever found footage from that day? Would be something really cool for you to have on tape, at least the concert.
    I have never found footage(he had on the AFH jumpsuit), but I do have the CD. In fact..during CHFIL you will hear Elvis get tickled and laugh. He was laughing because when he gave me the scarf my Dad said "thank you Elvis" in a big voice, and Elvis seemed to get a kick out of that!

I have never found footage(he had on the AFH jumpsuit), but I do have the CD. In fact..during CHFIL you will hear Elvis get tickled and laugh. He was laughing because when he gave me the scarf my Dad said "thank you Elvis" in a big voice, and Elvis seemed to get a kick out of that!
    What is the date?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    What is the date?
    August 6, 1973...it was opening night.

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    What a wonderful memory! It seems he put some "thought" into your scarf! I bet he put that scarf on knowing it would be for you! Do you think he recognized you from other concerts or maybe you did something for him with that kiss!! Wow , what a moment!

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think Charlie did a pretty good job of harmonies behind Elvis-"when you could hear them".

I have to agree with Diane, Charlie was necessary to Elvis and it was Elvis's show. When you get right down to the nitty gritty who was necessary beyond Elvis and the TCB band? He could have done entertaining shows without all the others. But the show Elvis wanted included all he toured with, the Stamps, the Sweets and the orchestra. IMO it would have been great if he had once in a while toured with just the TCB-a synthesizer could have been played on songs which needed any added strings or horns-and more of a tighter rock sound would have come through maybe.
    But all who were on the stage were what Elvis thought was necessary for his show.
    couldn't agree more KPM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast