Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Elvis have a vocal coach?

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    What a wonderful memory! It seems he put some "thought" into your scarf! I bet he put that scarf on knowing it would be for you! Do you think he recognized you from other concerts or maybe you did something for him with that kiss!! Wow , what a moment!

Of course I would LOVE to think that the kiss blew him away, and that he realised that he had just kissed his future and last bride. However.....he probably realised I was a teenage girl there with my parents and probably had a real good idea what my father had paid Emilio for those seats!! When the lights came on in the showroom and my parents saw how I was moved to tears Daddy hugged me sooo hard and said "it was worth every penney that it cost me." I will never forget him saying that!
    Other people in the showroom started coming over to us and congratulating me...and Daddy!! I understand what Lisa says about her father...I was the same way about mine. I adored him, and he worshiped the ground I walked on. My parents were older when I was born, and they already had 2 boys that were 11 and 12 when I was born, so YES..I know what you are thinking...I was "indulged".

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    [/u]

Of course I would LOVE to think that the kiss blew him away, and that he realised that he had just kissed his future and last bride. However.....he probably realised I was a teenage girl there with my parents and probably had a real good idea what my father had paid Emilio for those seats!! When the lights came on in the showroom and my parents saw how I was moved to tears Daddy hugged me sooo hard and said "it was worth every penney that it cost me." I will never forget him saying that!
    Other people in the showroom started coming over to us and congratulating me...and Daddy!! I understand what Lisa says about her father...I was the same way about mine. I adored him, and he worshiped the ground I walked on. My parents were older when I was born, and they already had 2 boys that were 11 and 12 when I was born, so YES..I know what you are thinking...I was "indulged".
    You are right Rosanne, Elvis probably gave you that scarf thinking how proud it would make your Dad! If he only knew how much that really meant to you and your family!

From what I've read, as far as any kind of vocal coaching goes, it was Charlie Hodge. Charlie encouraged Elvis to reach his vocal potential in songs like, NOW OR NEVER, Elvis didn't have the confidence to publicly attempt something like that. You'll hear him still in 1970 the taping of, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS, asking Charlie, "is that unison or harmony" on rehearsing, Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Say what you will about Charlie Hodge, but a) he ruined the '68 sit down shows with his inane and embarrassing chatter and b) he was absolutely unnecessary on stage with Elvis from '69 onwards.
    The bad talk about Charlie on here as made me somewhat sad.

Watch the DVD The Elvis I Knew. Elvis was Charlies bestfriend to him, he loved serving his time and life for Elvis, he looked up to him like a brother, and was always there to lift Elvis up through the hard times and always there to give him a good laugh and put a smile on Elvis' face when things were down. Nothing wrong with Elvis wanting his friend with him on stage in the 1970's people certainly don't give the poor fellow enough credit.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

International Level WHITETIGERMAN's Avatar
    I agree Col Jon........he did alot for Elvis on stage and behind the scenes. Elvis loved the closeness of his family and circle of close friends around.I think that's what helped the sit down shows and made them so enjoyable outside of Elvis himself in '68.
    I also think that as far as vocal coaching.........him being around alot of others and always constantly singing is what really helped Elvis' voice over the years,along with him and Charlie vocalizing.

Agreed, its no secret elvis was a nervice wreck for the taping of the nbc special, and I'm sure he wanted Charlie there also as a source of comfort.

And Charlie did help Elvis with his singing during Elvis' army years with breathing techniques etc.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

It's impossible to create a list of what Charlie did for Elvis but here are a few things:

He did Elvis harmony vocals. On recordings during the 60's and 70's he not only sang harmony with Elvis but also made the vocal arrangements. Because he was capable of impersonate Elvis voice his harmony vocals were as perfect as if Elvis did it himself.

We already discussed the vocal coach topic. As some other members stated, nobody had to teach Elvis how to sing. His voice was incredible but Charlie was able to direct Elvis.

Charlie was Elvis musical stage director from 1969 until the end. Every change that was made went through Charlie. He communicated with the band and the orchestra. A perfect example was what happened during just before the taping of Aloha. The TV director needed a few extra songs for the special and confronted Elvis. Elvis looked at Charlie and said: "Give me a few extra!" an walked away. Charlie had to come up with the extra songs and place them somewhere in the show.

Whenever something went wrong on stage and improvising was needed it was Charlie who took over and made shure the whole thing went on. Like the time in Las Vegas in December 1976 when Elvis had his bath room accident and sprained his ankle. Or when things went wrong in Baltimore in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    It's impossible to create a list of what Charlie did for Elvis but here are a few things:

He did Elvis harmony vocals. On recordings during the 60's and 70's he not only sang harmony with Elvis but also made the vocal arrangements. Because he was capable of impersonate Elvis voice his harmony vocals were as perfect as if Elvis did it himself.

We already discussed the vocal coach topic. As some other members stated, nobody had to teach Elvis how to sing. His voice was incredible but Charlie was able to direct Elvis.

Charlie was Elvis musical stage director from 1969 until the end. Every change that was made went through Charlie. He communicated with the band and the orchestra. A perfect example was what happened during just before the taping of Aloha. The TV director needed a few extra songs for the special and confronted Elvis. Elvis looked at Charlie and said: "Give me a few extra!" an walked away. Charlie had to come up with the extra songs and place them somewhere in the show.

Whenever something went wrong on stage and improvising was needed it was Charlie who took over and made shure the whole thing went on. Like the time in Las Vegas in December 1976 when Elvis had his bath room accident and sprained his ankle. Or when things went wrong in Baltimore in 1977.
    Excellent points my friend, well said !!!

Theres no doubt Charlie Hodge was TCB'in just as much as anyone around with the exception of Elvis of course !!

Thank you Leroy, you just confirmed what a lot of us felt about Charlie.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Thank you Leroy, you just confirmed what a lot of us felt about Charlie.

Diane
    Could't agree more Diane.

Charlie I think gets his rep because he dedicated so much of his time and life just to Elvis..imo, he was one of the bestfriends Elvis had along with Billy Smith..

Loving elvis
    I really like charlie and always have and nothing will ever change my opinion on the man. l'am glad elvis had him around in his life and to helped when needed..
    Last edited by presley31; 10-11-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    I really like charlie and always have and nothing will ever my opinion on the man. l'am glad elvis had him around in his life and to helped when needed..
    I feel the same way P31

TCB Mafia
    Giving a big round of applause, to a very special man, the late
    Mr. Charlie Hodge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImuOzx0VIk
    Last edited by Merry; 10-11-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    The bad talk about Charlie on here as made me somewhat sad.

Watch the DVD The Elvis I Knew. Elvis was Charlies bestfriend to him, he loved serving his time and life for Elvis, he looked up to him like a brother, and was always there to lift Elvis up through the hard times and always there to give him a good laugh and put a smile on Elvis' face when things were down. Nothing wrong with Elvis wanting his friend with him on stage in the 1970's people certainly don't give the poor fellow enough credit.

Hi Brad ...

I always see Charlie Hodge as someone who is ALWAYS been there for Elvis, good time or bad , I am sort of envy him for that

To me Elvis is a great singer by nature. So far as Elvis vocal coach, I think that by singing with great singer such as J.D Sumner and The Stamps, and long hours of gospel nights with them was enough to make his vocal perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead View Post
    Hi Brad ...

I always see Charlie Hodge as someone who is ALWAYS been there for Elvis, good time or bad , I am sort of envy him for that

To me Elvis is a great singer by nature. So far as Elvis vocal coach, I think that by singing with great singer such as J.D Sumner and The Stamps, and long hours of gospel nights with them was enough to make his vocal perfect...
    Just gets me upset when you see people saying Charlie was worthless or didn't serve any purpose to elvis at all.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    Just gets me upset when you see people saying Charlie was worthless or didn't serve any purpose to elvis at all.
    The way l see it is elvis wouldn't of kept charlie around if he didn't mean anything to him.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    The way l see it is elvis wouldn't of kept charlie around if he didn't mean anything to him.
    Same here !

He had the Greatest vocal coaches all around him.....The Black blues & Gospel singers that he listened to from a child....BB King, Ray Charles the great Frankie Laine & Johnny Ray no doubt about it guy's they left their mark on Elvis (Listen to Laines "I Believe"or Johnny Ray's "Such a Night" and the Church check out how many singers Worldwide all started in the Church..

I have been a working Musician all my working life, it's a gift from the Greatest Coach of all God Almighty coaches are for classical singers who have to be right on the button, Elvis was vocally, unique covering all the Male vocal ranges ie: Tenor,Baritone and (His Favourite) Bass....and he posessed the greatest gift for a singer, he could Scat and Improvise.

He needed a coach like we need Pneumonia,unique,multi talented' power to die for......ELVIS!!!! never again will we see the like....:
    Last edited by ricky; 10-12-2008 at 02:23 AM.

I'm afraid you are missing the point Ricky.... those are not vocal coaches. If you are a musician yourself you should know that a vocal coach is someone who sits with you, listens to you and then point out what you can do to improve your vocal range, make better use of the power and breathing techniques.

You can listen to every singer you like and and admire and they will probably influence your musical direction.... but they will not coach you. Neither does God. He might give you the talent but without good guidance you'll be a loose canon on deck.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Elvis' vocal style changed many times over the years, I'm pretty sure he was aware that certain techniques would leave him vulnerable. By rehearsing and getting advice he was able to protect one of his greatest assets, his voice.

I find it inconceivable that Elvis wouldn't have gotten advice both from a medical view point as well as professional to ensure he was able to maintain his voice. I certainly don't think it would have been above Elvis to get tips from fellow professionals such as JD, Charlie or Sherrill Nielsen

When Elvis was in Hollywood he would have almost certainly have been insured for loss of voice, same in Vegas. I'm pretty sure there would have been some checks and balances put in place.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast