Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone seek to 'study Elvis'?

Coming On Strong

Question Does anyone seek to 'study Elvis'?

Over the past 6 years, Elvis Presley has become an obsession of mine. And yes, I've gone (and still go through) my Elvis phases, spending lots of money on 'anything Elvis'.

But lately I've sought to learn more about 'The King'. I don't just mean reading books (which I do all of the time) or watching documentaries (ditto), but really trying to learn about Elvis as one would learn 'American History', 'English Literature' or any other college course.

I find the many endless aspects of his life, and those things that surround and are connected to his life to be so completely compelling, and yet I feel as though I'm still some wet behind the ears Elvis fan who has yet to really 'know Elvis'.

Anyway, (didn't mean to be so wordy), but I'd love to hear anyone elses comments, suggestions or even their own stories of how they see Elvis as important a subject as anything that could be taught at Harvard.

svn
    " If love could have saved you Elvis, you would have lived forever."

http://www.myspace.com/smithversusneo

I started studying Elvis when I was 11

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    I started studying Elvis when I was 11
    Same here, hard to believe I'm going on 8 years being an Elvis fan.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by smithversusneo View Post
    ..................I find the many endless aspects of his life, and those things that surround and are connected to his life to be so completely compelling, and yet I feel as though I'm still some wet behind the ears Elvis fan who has yet to really 'know Elvis'.

There actual colleges in the US that teach about Elvis and his impact on our culture. If you Google it, I bet you'd find where those classes are taught, but I really think that the reason that there are so many endless aspects of his life and things connected to him is the simple fact that his impact was so incredible and far-reaching .... Its like he was the pebble that was thrown into the pond and the ripples are his effect on us. Except maybe Elvis was the boulder that fell into the ocean which continue to ripple across the globe.

His impact was so broad, so enormous. He had no idea of his impact b/c we're still feeling it today. Who else could remain on the charts so long after his death?? Who else but Elvis set the standard for recording, promoting, producing, performing????
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Who else could remain on the charts so long after his death?? Who else but Elvis set the standard for recording, promoting, producing, performing????
    No one. Elvis Presley, one of a kind.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Coming On Strong

Talking

Well see that's just it. My wife doesn't understand how I can read about Elvis all the time (sometimes the same book). And to be honest, I think it's because the entire scope of his life, not just the achievements, but everything. I mean to look upon Elvis life, there's no way to really sum it up in a few words, which a lot of people try to do. And the fact that the media, during Elvis Week epecially, they focus on the ETA's and about how he died.

But to really sit back see EVERYTHING that makes up his life, it literally impossible to describe without having to focus on an certain era, year or even just a particular song or event. Each possess an important piece of his life. Each is an unique puzzle piece that unless you really absorb and study each, you'll never really 'know Elvis'.

I saw there was a college in Iowa where a guy had a course called 'Elvis As Anthology', but I wasn't sure if it was just a lecture or an actual course.

All I can say is, I can never see a time when learning something about Elvis, even if it's after repeated reading/watching things about him will grow old for me. His entire life is fascinating to me.

But here I am, preaching to the choir.

svn
    " If love could have saved you Elvis, you would have lived forever."

http://www.myspace.com/smithversusneo

Vegas King
    Also start studying Elvis with 11 years.
    And I don't know about you-but every actor or musician that I liked,I don't like very much now But I never get tired of Elvis

TCB Mafia
    To answer your question.....no.

But, I do listen to his music all the time.

He is a fascinating human and there have been some colleges which have had courses on Elvis, his music and his impact on the world.
    I became a fan in the early 60s and he has proven to be so much more as a human being- than I saw in 1962.

His entire life is fascinating to me.
    That's what made me such a big fan how fascinating his life really is.

When you think of it, isn't that what we are all doing here day after day on this message board studying Elvis? I know I've learned a lot here and I'm sure most others have too.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    When you think of it, isn't that what we are all doing here day after day on this message board studying Elvis? I know I've learned a lot here and I'm sure most others have too.

Diane
    Great point Diane...you are so right!

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Great point Diane...you are so right!

Rosanne and I sat at the front of the class in Elvis101 and got the best grade out of any class we were ever in!!!
    Guess that doesn't suprise ya'll though, does it?

Forever Best Friends

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    It do not surprise me! Gail this is off topic but your Pm box is full!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    It do not surprise me! Gail this is off topic but your Pm box is full!!! LOL
    OK - it's empty now!! Thanks - thing sure fills up quick!!

Forever Best Friends

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    OK - it's empty now!! Thanks - thing sure fills up quick!!
    Sounds like my car!!!

Cadillac King
    There is something about this man that gets into your soul. I tried, I tried to let it all go and I succeeded for about 2 years. But something drew me back and it was like coming home. There is not a moment that I don't want to see him or hear him. I'm constantly looking for new stuff. Unless you feel the same way, no one understands. My family never understood for all these years and finally kinda just accepted it as the way things are, Elvis will always be in my life. He'll always be in my heart.

I will say that since I started reading the posts here, I finally have been able to see him more as a "man" and less as "Elvis". BUt not matter what, I love him just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

Diane
    Exactly right Diane, Excellent point.

International Level WHITETIGERMAN's Avatar
    You can never break away from Elvis........there is something about him that keeps you there with him.I've been a fan since the age of 3........I'll be 38 in December.

Quote Originally Posted by WHITETIGERMAN View Post
    You can never break away from Elvis........there is something about him that keeps you there with him.I've been a fan since the age of 3........I'll be 38 in December.
    That's an understatement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast