Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: ABC's "ELVIS:Viva Las Vegas" a flop ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    282

    ABC's "ELVIS:Viva Las Vegas" a flop ?



    From Zapit.com

    Steady CBS Takes Tuesday
    NBC's 'Biggest Loser' tops in demo
    September 19, 2007


    'Big Brother 8' winner Dick DonatoFast National ratings for Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2007

    Consistent performance from all three of CBS' shows led the network to an overall ratings win Tuesday, but NBC snagged a demographic victory.

    CBS averaged a 5.4 rating/9 share among households for the night, beating NBC's 4.9/8. ABC came in third with a 4.3/7, and FOX took fourth at 3.7/6. The CW drew a 2.2/4.

    In the adults 18-49 demographic, NBC's 2.9 rating led the way. CBS, 2.4, came in second. ABC, 1.9, was third, followed closely by FOX, 1.8, and The CW, 1.7.

    "Power of 10" put CBS on top at 8 p.m. with a 5.2/9. "The Biggest Loser," 4.5/8, finished second in households for NBC, but ABC's "Just for Laughs" (4.4/7) had a few more total viewers. A "House" rerun on FOX was fourth. The season premiere of "Beauty and the Geek" earned a 2.0/3 for The CW.

    Hour two of "The Biggest Loser," 5.7/9, moved NBC into the lead at 9 p.m. The finale of "Big Brother 8" scored a 5.5/9 for CBS. ABC remained in third with the special "Elvis: Viva Las Vegas," 4.4/7. A repeat of Monday's "K-Ville" premiere was fourth for FOX, while The CW improved to 2.5/4 with more "Beauty and the Geek."

    At 10 p.m., an "NCIS" repeat posted a 5.5/10 for CBS. NBC got a 4.3/8 from a "Law & Order: SVU" rerun, and ABC's Elvis special dipped a little to 4.1/7.

  2. #2
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039
    Just shows what shape society is in. I've never watched a full episode of any reality show, ever.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    282
    Here is some updated info ...

    Variety has reported that the ABC special "Viva Las Vegas" did poorly with only 6.4 Million viewers, a very small number of people watching the show, despite good promo from ABC, looks like the show will be in the top 20 only because the regular programming resumes next week.

    Variety's 6.4 Million is very accurate, each point counts for 910,000 households, it did a 7, which means 7x910,000= 6.4 Million.

    From other reports coming back from ABC, this television special gave ABC nuthin' to cheer about ...

  4. #4
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    In 1973 when Aloha was first aired we had 6 channnels in my area. The networks had the whole ballgame to themselves. Network viewership is so much lower today than in the old days.
    Specials are practically non existent-because theres just no call for them anymore. People can watch a live concert event anyday of the week on cable. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you looked foreward to specials by all the great musical performers and comedians of the time-now its not special and there is little promotion of them. The TV Guide would give a rundown of who would have a special during the new season and the anticipation for your favorite performers show would start there. Not today. Cable, satellite dishes, video stores, mail video rental-and last but not least computers have taken the SPECIAL out of Specials.IMO

  5. #5
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In 1973 when Aloha was first aired we had 6 channnels in my area. The networks had the whole ballgame to themselves. Network viewership is so much lower today than in the old days.
    Specials are practically non existent-because theres just no call for them anymore. People can watch a live concert event anyday of the week on cable. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you looked foreward to specials by all the great musical performers and comedians of the time-now its not special and there is little promotion of them. The TV Guide would give a rundown of who would have a special during the new season and the anticipation for your favorite performers show would start there. Not today. Cable, satellite dishes, video stores, mail video rental-and last but not least computers have taken the SPECIAL out of Specials.IMO

    Very good points. The television setup these days is much more spread out with digital cable and satellite TV than ever before. Besides I disagree with the promotion being good. I started a thread the day of the show complaining about the lack of promotion. They waited too long to run TV spot adds and that killed the project. Sadly though, EPE will see this as no one interested in a special and we can forget about anymroe anytime soon.

    Now, that all being said, maybe if Bob Sillerman could work a deal with Time Warner and say the never before seen concert filmed in Richmond, VA in 1972 to be released as a first-time television event with massive promotion, then it could draw in larger numbers. Mainly because it would be a unseen concert and fans alone would be watching. But then that kills the sales department for the DVD release afterwards. So it seems to be a no-win solution.

    But then again, 6.4 million isn't all that bad for a documentary about a performer's comeback 30 years after his death.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Very good points. The television setup these days is much more spread out with digital cable and satellite TV than ever before. Besides I disagree with the promotion being good. I started a thread the day of the show complaining about the lack of promotion.
    ABC spent plenty of money in promoting this show. Maybe the promo just wasn't good in your neck of the woods ?

    Stop trying to justify this program's failure, even with your idol "Sasha" and other lame Hip Hop attempts to bring in huge ratings ...

    Now, that all being said, maybe if Bob Sillerman could work a deal with Time Warner ...
    Bob Sillerman this, Bob Sillerman that ...

    Warner owns the film and footage of Elvis On Tour.

    I'm sure if they had wanted, they could have struck up a deal by now. And I'd be betting that you or I will never see the light of day of when the Richmond footage will see a television debut.

    Besides, the "Elvis On Tour" DVD is being released anyway ...

    But then again, 6.4 million isn't all that bad for a documentary about a performer's comeback 30 years after his death.
    Make up your mind already, will you ?

    Of note: This so called documentary was about Elvis and Vegas, not Elvis' historical '68 Comeback

  7. #7
    Coming On Strong Supertigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    77
    It was a flop because it was complete crap.A bunch of people trying to sing Elvis songs separated by clips of Elvis from his movies but not necessarily in the right context.It was a poorly put together show done on the cheap by someone who knows nothing about Elvis or his fans.

  8. #8
    Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    127
    Having heard A LOT of negativity about the show before seeing it, I actually didn't think it was bad as all that.

    After all it was NOT made for us hard-core Elvis fans who areday know the complete history.
    Hopefully it was for a NEW audience - fans of 50 Cent, and Beyonce and Amercan Idol to give them a glimpse of what ELVIS was all about.

    In that way I thought it was "OK" -
    - although I did have some major complaints about some of the historical rubbish, EPE involvement, Celine Dion dreadfullness etc etc.

    I am really glad I went to it expecting nothing....

    FYI - EIN long review & reader's feedback here>>>
    http://www.elvisinfonet.com/tvreview_vlv_2007.html

    Cheers
    Piers

  9. #9
    International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    666
    I liked it, but then I'd watch anything with Elvis in it when I can find it. I watched TVLand throughout August!
    I don't know about any of the rest of ya'll, but the only reason I knew about the show was because I saw a clip on the morning news. Granted I don't watch alot of TV anyway, & when I do it's MTV or TLC, but I just didn't catch any promos.
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours


  10. #10
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Creole View Post
    ABC spent plenty of money in promoting this show. Maybe the promo just wasn't good in your neck of the woods ?

    Stop trying to justify this program's failure, even with your idol "Sasha" and other lame Hip Hop attempts to bring in huge ratings ...
    The program was only a failure to lackluster fans like yourself who don't want to see EP reach a new generation. If it weren't for those lame hip hop artists then how many teenagers would have even considered watching it genius? Those that did watched it to hear what their idols had to say about EP and in the process came away impressed with what they saw and heard. I have read many comments from young adults and hip hop fans complimenting EP after seeing that show. He wasn't the "fat Vegas Elvis" as many believed. We as real fans should be proud of that. Not calling it a failure.

    For your information buddy, I don't live in the woods thank you. I stay in the city of Huntsville, AL that happens to be EP's family roots by marriage. The Stanleys are all from here (sad to admit) and the media covers EP a lot here. And there was very little promotion for this special as many nationwide didn't even know about it until the night it aired. Maybe you should do your homework a little better next time.

    And who the heck said I was a Beyonce or "Sasha" fan in the first place? I like some of her songs and she is gorgeous. But that doesn't make her my idol.

    Bob Sillerman this, Bob Sillerman that ...

    Warner owns the film and footage of Elvis On Tour.

    I'm sure if they had wanted, they could have struck up a deal by now. And I'd be betting that you or I will never see the light of day of when the Richmond footage will see a television debut.
    In case you didn't know EPE and Warner had an agreement for the 30th Anniversary Concert event that allowed them to use unseen angels from the That's The Way It Is outtakes. So if that can be done then anything is possible with Billionaire Bob Sillerman at the helm. So in reality it is "Bob Sillerman this and Bob Sillerman that" because with him in charge we are seeing and hearing so much more of EP than ever before. And for years to come expect to hear more of Bob Sillerman this and that.

    Besides, the "Elvis On Tour" DVD is being released anyway ...
    Until an official statement is released then it is hearsay. And so what if they release a rehashed version just to say that they released it on DVD only to shut up the fans. If it isn't remastered and featured outtakes or even a complete show, then it isn't worth mentioning.



    Make up your mind already, will you ?

    Of note: This so called documentary was about Elvis and Vegas, not Elvis' historical '68 Comeback
    Yes it was about the Vegas comeback. But what exactly led to the Vegas return? The successful TV special in 1968 which is the 68 Comeback. So you need to make up your mind and stop trying to look like a genius instead looking like an ***** for your ranting and personal attacks that you continue to get away with.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    ksimms2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,408
    the only thing good about this show were the Elvis clips - other than that - didn't care for it. I liked Toby Keith, but I'm a big country fan.

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia EP75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    the only thing good about this show were the Elvis clips - other than that - didn't care for it. I liked Toby Keith, but I'm a big country fan.
    Exactly. Just as young black teenagers who saw it didn't like the country music aspect of the show because their into hip hop. Vice versa. So EP fans need to stop for a second and put themselves into those young teenager's shoes and see things through their eyes.

    Walk a mile in their shoes then you will see through them, your own views.
    http://i.usatoday.net/life/_photos/2...-overhaulx.jpg "Without a shadow of a doubt, Bob Sillerman is the BEST thing to happen to the Elvis World in a very long time. Even EPE have stated this. During the next ten years we should see a massive boost for the Elvis Legacy."-courtesy, Brian Quinn

    Check out my blog on the new upcoming Graceland expansion and redevelopment.
    http://gracelandfuture.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    ksimms2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    Exactly. Just as young black teenagers who saw it didn't like the country music aspect of the show because their into hip hop. Vice versa. So EP fans need to stop for a second and put themselves into those young teenager's shoes and see things through their eyes.

    Walk a mile in their shoes then you will see through them, your own views.
    I agree EP75 - that 50 cent and what's the other groups name that did "In The Ghetto" 3 something? I'm sorry it escapes me right now - would definately draw in the hip hop crowd to Elvis.......and i guess you could say same for the country singers on there.....but not being one of the younger elvis fans (I'm 40) I just didn't care for it - you know because we've seen all this before....and it's not new to us. "3-6 Mafia" is that their name? Anyways...it was cool to see young people like 3-6 and 50 talking about Elvis' influence on them though...just wasn't a huge fan of this particular program...they could have certainly done it much better in my opinion.....

  14. #14

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by EP75 View Post
    In case you didn't know EPE and Warner had an agreement for the 30th Anniversary Concert event that allowed them to use unseen angels from the That's The Way It Is outtakes.
    You mean, like Charlie Hodge perhaps?
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

  15. #15
    Loving elvis
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    You mean, like Charlie Hodge perhaps?

    Whats wrong with charlie hodge?? He was the best guy in the MM.

  16. #16
    ksimms2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    You mean, like Charlie Hodge perhaps?
    I think this is a joke because he wrote "angels" and not "angles"...and since Charlie Hodge is deceased....ie....."angel".....get it? Atleast that's the way I took it.....

  17. #17
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    You mean, like Charlie Hodge perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    Whats wrong with charlie hodge?? He was the best guy in the MM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksimms2 View Post
    I think this is a joke because he wrote "angels" and not "angles"...and since Charlie Hodge is deceased....ie....."angel".....get it? Atleast that's the way I took it.....
    Anyone else wish that Ksimms would back to see us?

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In 1973 when Aloha was first aired we had 6 channnels in my area. The networks had the whole ballgame to themselves. Network viewership is so much lower today than in the old days.
    Specials are practically non existent-because theres just no call for them anymore. People can watch a live concert event anyday of the week on cable. In the 50s, 60s and 70s you looked foreward to specials by all the great musical performers and comedians of the time-now its not special and there is little promotion of them. The TV Guide would give a rundown of who would have a special during the new season and the anticipation for your favorite performers show would start there. Not today. Cable, satellite dishes, video stores, mail video rental-and last but not least computers have taken the SPECIAL out of Specials.IMO
    You are right Ken....musical specials went the same way as the old variety shows. I remember always tuning in for The Carol Burnett Show and I never missed The Sonny and Cher Show. Today's youth would be bored to tears with programs like that. Do you remember what followed AFH? A musical special by Ann-Margaret.

  18. #18
    Coming On Strong
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51
    I watched the special and enjoyed a lot of it. I think what ruins it (and always will for me) is when artists perform the 'a-typical' Elvis song. Hearing horrible versions of 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Mystery Train' for example just dragged the whole tribute to Elvis down. And what's with interviewing 50-Cent about Elvis??? I'm so tired of Elvis being compared to rappers because of his use of... dare I say it... 'bling'. Give me a break!

    I will admit, Daughtry's version of 'Suspicious Minds' was probably the best performance for me. And again, there were other moments I liked, but unfortunately it was the poor performances that stick in my mind more than not.

    And also, the fact that the same old 'TTWII' footage is used over and over and over... sorry, but you can't tell me there's no 'rare' footage from Vegas in the can somewhere.

    As for the poor ratings... well, as it's been said, it's the poor state of the world we live in when 'reality t.v.' takes over the airwaves... and the ratings.

    svn
    Last edited by smithversusneo; 10-06-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
    " If love could have saved you Elvis, you would have lived forever."

    http://www.myspace.com/smithversusneo

  19. #19
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by smithversusneo View Post
    I watched the special and enjoyed a lot of it. I think what ruins it (and always will for me) is when artists perform the 'a-typical' Elvis song. Hearing horrible versions of 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Mystery Train' for example just dragged the whole tribute to Elvis down. And what's with interviewing 50-Cent about Elvis??? I'm so tired of Elvis being compared to rappers because of his use of... dare I say it... 'bling'. Give me a break!

    I will admit, Daughtry's version of 'Suspicious Minds' was probably the best performance for me. And again, there were other moments I liked, but unfortunately it was the poor performances that stick in my mind more than not.

    And also, the fact that the same old 'TTWII' footage is used over and over and over... sorry, but you can't tell me there's no 'rare' footage from Vegas in the can somewhere.

    As for the poor ratings... well, as it's been said, it's the poor state of the world we live in when 'reality t.v.' takes over the airwaves... and the ratings.

    svn
    Great post...I agree on all your points!

  20. #20
    TCB Mafia ehollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,307
    I think that if ABC had done a shorten version of TTWII, it would have been an awesome ratings hit!!! Maybe Elvis' voice is just too powerful for another person to mimick his singing or that these singers wanted to put to much artistic license with Elvis' already established songs, but lets face it Elvis fans, once Elvis takes a song and makes it his own, there will never be a better or more moving version of it.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

    John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "VIVA LAS VEGAS" 2 cd set is FANTASTIC !!!
    By King_Creole in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM
  3. "Elvis - The Cover Up" & "Las Vegas In Gypsy Style"
    By Steve in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 07:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •