I got a feelin´ in my body
    Talk about the good times
    Lovin´ arms
    Promised land
    ... and so on.

STAX SESSIONS for me.
    "Until we meet again, God bless you and Adios."

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

If we are going to the original records as they were released, there is no need of thinking twice about it: STAX.

Now, what about the Jungle Room Sessions without the overdubs vs. Stax without the overdubs? I belive the Jungle Room Sessions have a fresher sounding band, and Elvis is in a better voice tone, and delivered much more than Stax in terms of soul, yet, in terms of which sessions delivered MORE great classic songs/recordings, once again my vote goes for Stax.

Since I don't have the JRS CD (couldn't afford it and I've got other stuff I'm paying for at the moment) I'd have to go with the Stax sessions. Albeit a bit uneven in terms of great material, Elvis still tried his best.

Raised On Rock
    I don´t think that Presley was in better voice in 1976 compared to the december 1973 sessions. Even the mood was much better in the latest. Remember that first out-take of I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BODY ("Rhythm & Country", RCA-1998): he still sounds incredible and you can feel the energy, something completely out 3 years later in the JRS, sadly.

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Ah Jeanno. A voice of reason. I was beginning worry. Stax produced the best catalogue of songs of any 1970's session. A Best Of Stax album would be the best non live 1970's album, no question (especially if they through in Burning Love, TROUBLE and Way Down as bonus tracks).
    The Acoustic Rockabilly Channel ♫ for exclusive acoustic rockabilly videos

Elvis holidays & tours to Memphis & Graceland with Arena Travel

Trelane P
    I would not say that STAX produced the best 70s caalogue. NASHVILLE 1970-1971 SESSIONS were mostly much more inspired with Presley in real fine voice (specially in june 1970).
    Now, compared to 1976, the STAX SESSIONS sure sound to me more interesting and appealing. I´ve always thought that the main problem wih those STAX records was to release every song recorded between july and december 1973. A single album with the best of both sessions could have sounded pretty good (not as good as ELVIS COUNTRY but at least not as cheesy as those RAISED ON ROCK / GOOD TIMES / PROMISED LAND).

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Depends on your musical taste I guess. If you prefer the country side of Elvis then sure the Nashville sessions would be the favourite. I prefer the funky soul sound of Stax. While I agree he put more passion into the material in 70 & 71 I just prefer the actual songs from 73 especially:

Got A Feeling In My Body
    If You Don't Come Back
    Thinking About You
    Honky Tonk Angel
    Promised Land
    Talk About The Good Times
    Loving Arms
    Find Out What's Happening
    If You Talk In Your Sleep
    Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
    For Old Times Sake
    I Got A Thing About You Baby

That right there (in my opinion) would be the best studio album of the 1970's albeit very close with the best of Nashville 70 & 71.
    The Acoustic Rockabilly Channel ♫ for exclusive acoustic rockabilly videos

Elvis holidays & tours to Memphis & Graceland with Arena Travel

Quote Originally Posted by jeanno View Post
    Raised On Rock
    I don´t think that Presley was in better voice in 1976 compared to the december 1973 sessions. Even the mood was much better in the latest. Remember that first out-take of I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BODY ("Rhythm & Country", RCA-1998): he still sounds incredible and you can feel the energy, something completely out 3 years later in the JRS, sadly.
    I don´t belive the energy and the feel was completely out by the JRS, not at all, (yes it is known that we was feeling ill during most of the sessions but his voice was surely delivering) The problem to me with the JRS and that's why Stax got my vote is that simply there was not enough good material and the sound is far removed from the funk-soul sound of his other Memphis sessions in '69 and '73.

SleepyJack
    This one has been another head-scratcher for me......but if we count the "pure" recordings without the overdubs etc.....then the jungle room sessions just shade it for me.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    I really dig the sound of his voice on the Jungle Room Sessions.

He sounds so deep and sincere in his delivery of the songs, and you can tell he feels every word he's singing in songs like It's Easy For You etc.

"How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Trelane P
    The Nashville sessions were not pure country sessions. Of course, a lot of Country standards were recorded but there was also a lot of R&B - Rock too: Got my mojo workin´, Merry christmas baby, whole lotta shakin´ goin´ on, Patch it up, I washed my hands in muddy water, etc... plus all the gospel stuff!

Raised on Rock
    The problem to me with the JRS and that's why Stax got my vote is that simply there was not enough good material and the sound is far removed from the funk-soul sound of his other Memphis sessions in '69 and '73.
    I agree with that.

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

The Jungle Room sessions were so relaxed....I love them!!

International Level jean francois's Avatar
    jungle room session

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Since I don't have the JRS CD (couldn't afford it and I've got other stuff I'm paying for at the moment) I'd have to go with the Stax sessions. Albeit a bit uneven in terms of great material, Elvis still tried his best.
    Tony will financial situations allow you too, please make sure you pick up the Jungle Room Sessions FTD. It really is a gem that all fans should have to hear our man in 1976 its really great!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

stax sessions

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    If you had to choose between the Stax Sessions or the Jungle Room Sessions, which one would you choose and why???? Each contained some good songs as well as some less than stellar ones.
    Well, i like both sessions, but i choose Stax sessions because i love the songs recorded: sweet angelina, raised on rock, are you sincere, i miss you, for ól times sake

Quote Originally Posted by Judy_Fairytale View Post
    The Jungle Room sessions were so relaxed....I love them!!
    That is a very good way of looking at those sessions...couldn't agree more.

JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS for me guys and gals!
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12