Thread: Elvis the Action Star?

TCB Mafia

Elvis the Action Star?

Hi everyone

Everybody talks about Elvis hollywood career and the fact he never became a serious dramatic actor during the 60's and how bad a lot Elvis of movies were and how much of a shame that is but what if after the studio system was abolished in the late 60's and when Elvis movies contracts ran out in 69 (so Elvis could work on movie projects independently) he made some action adventure films in between touring in the 70's?
    I think when Elvis started his hollywood career he had the wrong idea about being the next great dramatic actor like Brando because for one he might've been setting the bar just a tad to high for someone without any prior acting experience or acting lessons instead there were many actors in the 70's that weren't considered great actors but were decent actors who made enjoyable and entertaining Action adventure films during this time.
    Examples include: Charles Bronson was basically a character actor having played supporting roles in good films such as the Magnificent Seven and the Great Escape but it wasn't until the 70's that Bronson broke out as a leading man in the Death Wish series.
    ''Burt Reynolds'' played on Gunsmoke during the early years and played in some movies in the 60's but he broke out as a star in the 70's with roles in Deliverance, White Lightning, Gator, The Longest Yard and Smokey and the Bandit.
    ''Gene Hackman'' is probably the best actor to play in a lot of action type thrillers during the 70's. Despite and oscar nomination for Bonnie and Clyde in the 60's and a dramatic turn in 1970 I never Sang for my Father I think Hackman's breakthrough role was the action oriented French Connection where he won the best actor oscar. Oher action type films that followed were The Posideon Adventure, Night Movies, The French Connection 2, Superman.
    Clint Eastwood made a name for himself playing in Westerns in the 60's but another career defining role for him was The Dirty Harry series and movies like the Eiger Sanction.

There is the list of actors who made quite a lot of money and a big reputation making these types of films in the 70's and I was thinking Elvis could have made a good reputation for himself as an actor in these types of roles if he wished to continue acting in the 70's. I got to thinking about this topic when I heard fans taking about what they thought of Elvis acting ability and I hear people like Larry Gellar say Elvis wanted to begin making movies again and I thought A Star is Born wouldn't have done a thing for his career and I think Elvis could've made a career for himself as an action star as he wouldn't have to be a great dramatic actor like Laurence Oliver, Newman, Brando, Burton etc. to accomplish this.

What does everybody think of Elvis becoming a respected action star instead of a dramatic actor?

Do you think it would have been a good idea?

TCB Mafia
    no one has any comments for this?

I do have a comment, Brian.

As we all know his chances of doing anything serious in acting turned out to be zero.

However, when I f.i. see an old western movie, like Rio Bravo for instance, a part in that one would have steered his early career in a diffrent direction.

And of course many more roles could have been fitting for him.

Any direction away from the usual Elvis movie would have helped break the cycle of fluff.

Elvis-o-nator?
    Tennessee Presley (as opposed to Indiana Jones)?

I think I would have preferred more serious roles though!

Interesting question as Elvis' better movies seem to involve deeper meaning and such. Showed he could do it!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Any direction away from the usual Elvis movie would have helped break the cycle of fluff.
    Agreed but Elvis did the best he could with what he was given..and thats all we can ask for I think.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    Agreed but Elvis did the best he could with what he was given..and thats all we can ask for I think.
    Oh I think he did the best he could and to paraphrase Kurt Russell-the movies were worth watching just to see Elvis even when the scripts were not so good.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Oh I think he did the best he could and to paraphrase Kurt Russell-the movies were worth watching just to see Elvis even when the scripts were not so good.
    Exactly, well said Ken.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977