Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LeeAnn Rimes beats Elvis.

Loving elvis

LeeAnn Rimes beats Elvis.

LeAnn Rimes finishes ahead of Elvis Presley, Kenny Rogers and Shania Twain in a new historical list that celebrates the anniversary of Billboard magazine’s 100-position pop chart. The magazine has come up with The Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Songs, and LeAnn’s version of "How Do I Live" ranks at No. 4 on the list, the top showing for a single by a country act.

She’s hardly alone. Elsewhere on the pop list are Johnny Horton’s "North To Alaska," No. 28; Kenny’s "Lady," No. 47; Shania’s "You’re Still The One," No. 66; and a pair of songs by Country Music Hall of Famer Elvis Presley: "Are You Lonesome Tonight?," No. 81; and "It’s Now Or Never," No. 92.

Other songs with country ties abound. Debby Boone’s "You Light Up My Life," a Top 10 country hit in 1977, occupies the No. 7 position; country newcomer Jewel’s pop single "Foolish Games"/"You Were Meant For Me" is at No. 15; Whitney Houston’s remake of Dolly Parton’s "I Will Always Love You" ranks at No. 68; and Ray Charles’ cover of Don Gibson’s "I Can’t Stop Loving You" finishes at No. 98.

Charts prior to August 1958 featured fewer than 100 singles, so the Hot 100’s debut came after such earlier Elvis hits as "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Don’t Be Cruel." Landing at No. 1: Chubby Checker and "The Twist."

2008/09/14 Great American Country / www.epgold.com

News flash to Billboard....Elvis wasn't a country act but a pop/rock act who did some country songs. BB magazine is trying it's hardest to eliminate all of Elvis' great success for some reason. First they refused to acknowledge Hound Dog as a no.1 single when the record books show that it was no.1 just so Mariah would overtake him with more no.1s and now this crap.

Despite its broader availability, Billboard is a trade publication primarily for the benefit of the remaining executives who populate the terminally ill record industry (and professional DJs etc).

Their famous 'Hot 100' seeks to reflect the popularity of songs and artists based upon a conflation of their sales and airplay. This must be a particularly difficult task when individual songs are concerned and especially in America, where people haven't bought singles for years now. So the current artists in this chart (which covers half a century of popular music) must be evaluated almost exclusively on their airplay, unlike the older/expired artists who predominantly earned their ranking with sales.
    And who currently influences which songs get the most airplay?
    The same industry which generates the records in the first place (and without which, Billboard magazine would be obsolete).

Billboard has been regularly changing the methods by which they compile the Hot 100 to suit themselves for years now. It is, at best, a very loose representation of what we've had no choice about hearing in the car.

Controversial charts such as this are little more than a last gasp attempt at generating interest in a flagging magazine and a dying industry.

To address Elvislives72's point- they need to show that newer artists are represented in the upper echelons of the chart in order to give the impression that pop music is still relevant and justify the very existence of the magazine. It's like a morale-building exercise for the music industry itself. If they have to re-categorize artists, update their scoring criteria and effectively 'move the goal posts' in order to achieve this, then that's what will happen.

They say that they are adapting their methods to "ensure equitable representation" but the opposite is true.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

TCB Mafia
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Despite its broader availability, Billboard is a trade publication primarily for the benefit of the remaining executives who populate the terminally ill record industry (and professional DJs etc).

Their famous 'Hot 100' seeks to reflect the popularity of songs and artists based upon a conflation of their sales and airplay. This must be a particularly difficult task when individual songs are concerned and especially in America, where people haven't bought singles for years now. So the current artists in this chart (which covers half a century of popular music) must be evaluated almost exclusively on their airplay, unlike the older/expired artists who predominantly earned their ranking with sales.
    And who currently influences which songs get the most airplay?
    The same industry which generates the records in the first place (and without which, Billboard magazine would be obsolete).

Billboard has been regularly changing the methods by which they compile the Hot 100 to suit themselves for years now. It is, at best, a very loose representation of what we've had no choice about hearing in the car.

Controversial charts such as this are little more than a last gasp attempt at generating interest in a flagging magazine and a dying industry.

To address Elvislives72's point- they need to show that newer artists are represented in the upper echelons of the chart in order to give the impression that pop music is still relevant and justify the very existence of the magazine. It's like a morale-building exercise for the music industry itself. If they have to re-categorize artists, update their scoring criteria and effectively 'move the goal posts' in order to achieve this, then that's what will happen.

They say that they are adapting their methods to "ensure equitable representation" but the opposite is true.
    good post teddy

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Apologies. There's always the risk of losing half of your audience when you use too many long words. I keep 'em in to avoid insulting the smart folks.
    'Taking Care of Beaulieu'.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Apologies. There's always the risk of losing half of your audience when you use too many long words. I keep 'em in to avoid insulting the smart folks.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

How very true!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvislives72 View Post
    News flash to Billboard....Elvis wasn't a country act but a pop/rock act who did some country songs. BB magazine is trying it's hardest to eliminate all of Elvis' great success for some reason. First they refused to acknowledge Hound Dog as a no.1 single when the record books show that it was no.1 just so Mariah would overtake him with more no.1s and now this crap.
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Who is she
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Billboard magazine’s 100-position pop chart is aimed at teen to twenty something's in general, I would be extremely surprised if Elvis was at the top of some teeny bopper magazine! Teddy had covered most of this off, LeAnn Rimes is average at best. Lets see this list in another five years, that's if its relevant enough to discuss Billboard in five years, it's borderline now!

I'd be interested to see some data on legitimate online downloads and see how Elvis compares with todays artists given that there is very little advetising done for Elvis.

hopefully people will learn someday that,Elvis is not a person or artist to make comparison with...funny try though..

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Loving elvis
    What it all boils down to for elvis fan is that elvis will always be number 1 even if the chart says something different and to be honest these polls are silly and useless in my opinion.

a chart??..something to eat?? well,I can survive without them..

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by 4THEHEART View Post
    a chart??..something to eat?? well,I can survive without them..
    Oops Billboard..

no,no! ..there's nothing wrong with what you said my friend..what I mean is,charts or bilboards or critics,whatever,whoever..they don't mean anything..Elvis already had his place in this world..

TCB Mafia
    I think LeAnn Rimes is a very good singer I just don't like the material she's come out with the past couple of years but it's not just her country music in general has gone done quite a lot over the past 20 years. I remember when she first came out she was like 12 and she received a lot of mainstream coverage by the news media not just by the country music folks but 60 minutes, the primetime news etc. that's all disappeared nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Billboard magazine’s 100-position pop chart is aimed at teen to twenty something's in general, I would be extremely surprised if Elvis was at the top of some teeny bopper magazine! Teddy had covered most of this off, LeAnn Rimes is average at best. Lets see this list in another five years, that's if its relevant enough to discuss Billboard in five years, it's borderline now!

I'd be interested to see some data on legitimate online downloads and see how Elvis compares with todays artists given that there is very little advetising done for Elvis.
    I posted this on another Billboard thread.
    Its their magazine, their lists (even though they change how they make up the lists when they see fit) so I guess they can do whatever they want. Remember lists can be made to say or show what ever you want by the criteria those compiling them decide to be use.
    Its so funny that either Elvis, or the Beatles depending on the source, has to be the number one record seller in the world and yet they are barely in the list.
    Here is another list from http://www.popularsong.org/1960.html for the year 1960 and Elvis has the number 2 and 3 songs of the year by this list?Since 1960s the year that "the Twist" came out it where is it on this list? Strange!
    1. Theme from "A Summer Place" - Percy Faith
    2. It's Now or Never - Elvis Presley
    3. Are You Lonesome Tonight - Elvis Presley
    4. Beyond the Sea - Bobby Darin
    5. Cathy's Clown - The Everly Brothers
    6. Save the Last Dance for Me - The Drifters
    7. I'm Sorry - Brenda Lee
    8. Stuck on You - Elvis Presley
    9. Running Bear - Johnny Preston
    10. Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles
    11. My Heart has a Mind of its Own - Connie Francis
    12. Everybody's Somebody's Fool - Connie Francis
    13. I Want to Be Wanted - Brenda Lee
    14. Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - Brian Hyland
    15. Walk Don't Run - The Ventures
    16. Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison
    17. He'll Have to Go - Jim Reeves
    18. (What a) Wonderful World - Sam Cooke
    19. Wonderland by Night - Bert Kaempfert
    20. Poetry In Motion - Johnny Tillotson

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Let's see 30 years later if shes remembered like Elvis is today.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    Let's see 30 years later if shes remembered like Elvis is today.
    Lol, lets see if I even remember me in 30 years time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast