Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Gustav

We didn't get the drills in school Jen because the tail end of the storms are lesser in New Brunswick but they are much stronger here...probably the same as what you get.

Diane

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    We didn't get the drills in school Jen because the tail end of the storms are lesser in New Brunswick but they are much stronger here...probably the same as what you get.

Diane
    yes l think that would be right. I know that when l went to high school the only drills had was the fire ones, but l do remember a couple of times we had bad storms and my mom would tell us to go to basemant and hide under the stairs, scary stuff so my heart really goes out to the people who live in them.

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    yep diane even canada gets the tail end of those storums but l'am so thankful we don't have hurricanes going though where l live. I do remember though when me and my brother went to public school near little britain in ontario we had hurricane drills so we have to line the walls with her heads down, but l guess it was just to be safe and plus the school was in the middle of nowhere except cows in the farmers field.
    We never had drills here. When a storm lasts for hours and hours especially if it stalls over land, you have to be prepared for power outages that last for days and weeks (possibly a month for Baton Rouge residents), have non-perishables, water, batteries for your radio and flashlights, gasoline for a generator and your car to evacuate and a place to go to when you do evacauate. Its sort of like taking a quicky vacation but without much preparation and not knowing how long it will last and whether or not your home survived the rain, wind and storm surge. Most homes here can withstand the wind, but the storm surge, which can be in excess of 20 feet, can completely wipe-out a house. After Hurricane Rita, there were brick homes that were on SLABS that had been washed completely away out to the Gulf and have never ever been seen again. All that was left was the empty lot!!! The wall of water (storm surge) is the most devestating thing here. As I have mentioned, I live so close to the coast. After Rita, I was only about 1 MILE away from where the flooding and surge stopped. We didn't have a thing wrong with our home, except we were without power for 3 or 4 days, so I consider myself soooo lucky.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    We never had drills here. When a storm lasts for hours and hours especially if it stalls over land, you have to be prepared for power outages that last for days and weeks (possibly a month for Baton Rouge residents), have non-perishables, water, batteries for your radio and flashlights, gasoline for a generator and your car to evacuate and a place to go to when you do evacauate. Its sort of like taking a quicky vacation but without much preparation and not knowing how long it will last and whether or not your home survived the rain, wind and storm surge. Most homes here can withstand the wind, but the storm surge, which can be in excess of 20 feet, can completely wipe-out a house. After Hurricane Rita, there were brick homes that were on SLABS that had been washed completely away out to the Gulf and have never ever been seen again. All that was left was the empty lot!!! The wall of water (storm surge) is the most devestating thing here. As I have mentioned, I live so close to the coast. After Rita, I was only about 1 MILE away from where the flooding and surge stopped. We didn't have a thing wrong with our home, except we were without power for 3 or 4 days, so I consider myself soooo lucky.
    you would think they would have drills in the school for the children. We had drills every so often in our schools, but this was when l was little so things might be alot different now since we don't get hurricanes. Tornadoes on the other hand we do get in the hot weather, but thats very slim.

Loving elvis
    This page lists tornadoes and tornado outbreaks which have harshly touched down in Canada since 1792, this is not a complete listing of all events and range from violent to less damaging tornadoes. On average, there are around 80 confirmed and many more unconfirmed tornadoes that touch down in Canada each year, the vast majority are rated as F0 or F1, not regarded as severe and usually cause minor structural damages to barns, wood fences, down small power lines and uproot or snap tree limbs. The peak tornado season in Canada is in the summer months, as opposed to the spring season in US.

The reported increase in numbers of tornadoes in recent years may reflect better record keeping rather than an actual increase in tornado occurrence (although natural increase has not been ruled out), in addition to better detection technology ie. Doppler weather radar and satellite imagery. The upswing could also be attributed to other factors, such as improved aerial and ground damage assessment after the fact in sparsely populated areas (particularly the case in remote parts of the Canadian Prairies and Northern Ontario, for example), better trained spotter capabilities and increased population in places like the great plains/Canadian Prairies than in the past. Tornadoes in Canada are enough of a threat to public safety for a public warning system to be in place, overseen by the national weather agency, Environment Canada.

For a variety of reasons, such as sturdier construction for buildings to withstand the harsher winters and Canada's lower population density, Canadian tornadoes have historically caused far fewer fatalities than tornadoes in the United States. The deadliest tornado in Canadian history, the Regina Cyclone of June 30, 1912, does not even rank in the top 25 when compared to American tornado fatalities. Six medium to large size Canadian cities were hit by significant tornadoes during the 20th century which caused large-scale damage and fatalities, in Regina (1912), Windsor twice (1946 and 1974), Sarnia (1953), Sudbury (1970), Barrie (1985) and in Edmonton (1987).

you would think they would have drills in the school for the children. We had drills every so often in our schools, but this was when l was little so things might be alot different now since we don't get hurricanes. Tornadoes on the other hand we do get in the hot weather, but thats very slim.
    We don't have drills because we evacuate the area. School is cancelled and everything is boarded up and we leave. Plus, the storm usually takes days to get here, we have a small window to prepare and leave. But no drills. Tornadoes are different, but with huricanes, you get out of harms way!!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

Loving elvis
    We don't have drills because we evacuate the area. School is cancelled and everything is boarded up and we leave. Plus, the storm usually takes days to get here, we have a small window to prepare and leave. But no drills. Tornadoes are different, but with huricanes, you get out of harms way!!
    yes that is true..good point.. see how much l know about hurricanes

yes that is true..good point.. see how much l know about hurricanes
    That's okay Jenn. I don't have clue what to do in a snow storm. We get a few flurries (and I do mean a scant few!) or sleet and we close the schools b/c no one here has what you need to deal with snow and ice - no special tires, snow blowers, snow machines, and whatever other special things that are necessary. It seems impossible for me to live where I could get snowed in for days at a time. Its bad enough that I get the blahs when we have too many grey days without sunshine, but not being able to go outside would absolutely kill me.

University of Memphis

Loving elvis
    That's okay Jenn. I don't have clue what to do in a snow storm. We get a few flurries (and I do mean a scant few!) or sleet and we close the schools b/c no one here has what you need to deal with snow and ice - no special tires, snow blowers, snow machines, and whatever other special things that are necessary. It seems impossible for me to live where I could get snowed in for days at a time. Its bad enough that I get the blahs when we have too many grey days without sunshine, but not being able to go outside would absolutely kill me.
    Yes l know alot about snow storms. I think the worse was the ice storm(please correct me diane or franny if l'am wrong) now that was terrible.

Yes l know alot about snow storms. I think the worse was the ice storm(please correct me diane or franny if l'am wrong) now that was terrible.

Is this where you live???? It makes me cold just looking at these. Did I mention that I cannot stand being cold??? We don't often see stuff like this. What do you do - lock yourself inside until the thaw or do you drive in stuff like this, go to school in weather like this??

University of Memphis

Loving elvis
    Is this where you live???? It makes me cold just looking at these. Did I mention that I cannot stand being cold??? We don't often see stuff like this. What do you do - lock yourself inside until the thaw or do you drive in stuff like this, go to school in weather like this??
    Those picture are one of the bad ice storms we had, but needless to say we couldn't go to school for a couple of days cause the roads were pure ice and the bus drivers wouldn't take any chances.

The winters here where l live look like these pictures.

I just put my son in his sleigh so l can get though the snow alot easier and plus the sidewalks and roads are plowed.

Those picture are one of the bad ice storms we had, but needless to say we couldn't go to school for a couple of days cause the roads were pure ice and the bus drivers wouldn't take any chances.

The winters here where l live look like these pictures.

I just put my son in his sleigh so l can get though the snow alot easier and plus the sidewalks and roads are plowed.
    Brrrr, got chills by just looking at the photos

Oh Jenn, that's something that we have never ever seen here (I love the little cars!). The pictures are
    Christmas card pretty, but waking up to that each morning would drive me absolutely insane!!!!!!!!! What do you do during this and how do you keep warm????

University of Memphis

We get those kind of winters, but only once in 15 years! I remember I was in my 1st grade at school and we had the first week after the winter break off, because of the low temperatures and all the ice and snow!
    But now, I am still enjoying my Mediterranean, warm summer Won't be long before it starts getting chilly again though. The summer nights are colder now...

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    We get those kind of winters, but only once in 15 years! I remember I was in my 1st grade at school and we had the first week after the winter break off, because of the low temperatures and all the ice and snow!
    But now, I am still enjoying my Mediterranean, warm summer Won't be long before it starts getting chilly again though. The summer nights are colder now...
    We don't usually see snow flurries but maybe once in every 10 years, usually nothing that even sticks on the ground. We may get ice or sleet every 5 - 7 years, but it only lasts as long as it takes to hit the ground and melt, but may stay on the trees and lines longer and the kids get a free day off of school. We usually enjoy the nice summer days well into October and beginning of November, with a few cooler days and evenings. The average low here is in the 50's. I don't think the temps have fallen below freezing since 2004. Did I mention that I hate cold weather????

University of Memphis

Yes, you're right Jen the ice storm of 1998 was the worst in Canada! Actually, I do believe Montreal was hit the hardest and the insurance claims took forever to go through....It was pretty bad!

I just checked and here's the link to more on that 1998 ice storm http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/weather/p/icestorm.htm

franny

We don't usually see snow flurries but maybe once in every 10 years, usually nothing that even sticks on the ground. We may get ice or sleet every 5 - 7 years, but it only lasts as long as it takes to hit the ground and melt, but may stay on the trees and lines longer and the kids get a free day off of school. We usually enjoy the nice summer days well into October and beginning of November, with a few cooler days and evenings. The average low here is in the 50's. I don't think the temps have fallen below freezing since 2004. Did I mention that I hate cold weather????
    Liz, the last 3-4 years the winter's have not been as bad here...We hardly get any snow now and this past winter, really only March had some snow and that was about it...

Winter's certainly have changed, used to be non-stop snow and going on for weeks!

Summer's here have changed, too. Now it stays nice until mid-Ocotber. It must be global warming..

franny

I do remember the fire drills at school Jen, but nothing more. Love and don't love those winter storm pictures you posted. They remind me of when I was a little girl walking to school in those. My dad drove me the quarter mile to school when it was really bad.

N.B. hasn't had much snow in the last few years, maybe a little more than we have here but last year was a doozy and my best friend in Halifax, N.S. had tons too and was just beyond herself as she hates snow.

I sure do remember that ice storm Jen! It caused a lot of damage here as well. But the one freaky storm that scared the bejesus out of me that I'd never seen before and don't want to again, was one we had this year in the early spring. I was outside and from the west I heard this roar coming closer and closer, grabbed some cats and threw them indoors except one who just made it under the deck and myself back into the house when I could see huge sheets and I mean HUGE "sheets" of ice coming at me and fell on our back deck and they kept coming for several minutes. I ran and called my husband and daughter to come and see and none of us could believe what we were seeing.

We were very lucky, our cars and house siding weren't damaged but hundreds of people's were including close neighbours. I don't scare easy but I didn't like that at all!

Liz, I'm just the opposite. I have a very hard time with the heat and humidity especially, that we have here in Michigan. I like the dry climate of New Brunswick and northern Maine. Fresh air, smells so sweet and feels so fresh, and the clean water....love it in that area! Not to mention that it's like the world has passed it by....very low crime rate and very laid back friendly people.

Diane

Loving elvis
    Thanks Franny and diane. I thought it was the ice storm but wasn't sure. yes franny our winters aren' that good, but IMo we did get a fair bit last year which was a pain trying to get to the shops when you got a children to take with you. I guess it just boils down to where you grow up and lived for awhile. I can't say l would change anything cause l love the winter and the summer so being in a hot place all year around would not be something l would enjoy.

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    If anyone wants to see snow, you should come to where I live in Newfoundland, Canada! We start getting snow in December and we will probably get our last snowfall in early April! We have had snow high enough that the kids can step on to our roof! Schools are usually closed about 7 to 10 days a year because of snowstorms! Winter is a long season! It also gets dark here at 4pm from November until around February!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast