Thread: live or studio version ?

live or studio version ?

Elvis was really good at performing live songs and there are many songs that he did both live and in studio.Are there any songs that you like in live ? and are there any songs that you prefer the studio version ?
    I prefer these songs in live : American trilogy- you gave me a mountain- my way-hurt,....
    and I prefer studio version of " and I love you so " ,'my boy ",don't cry dady" , 'moody blue "

I prefer live ,The Wonder Of You,70's version Hound Dog,70's version I Got A Women,and Bridge Over Troubled Water.
    I prefer studio,My Way,Moody Blue.
    -SatninLove
    "There's A Sweet Sweet Spirit In This Place"....

Some of the songs I prefer in live version are: "Patch It Up", "Suspicious Minds", "My Way", "Tiger Man".

I prefer the studio version for example of "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me", "My Boy", "Memories", "Moody Blue", "Lawdy Miss Clawdy"

Vegas King
    I think that every live version is much better then studio version.
    It's faster.you can hear audience (you can see how they loved Elvis and his performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mistymorning View Post
    Elvis was really good at performing live songs and there are many songs that he did both live and in studio.Are there any songs that you like in live ? and are there any songs that you prefer the studio version ?
    I prefer these songs in live : American trilogy- you gave me a mountain- my way-hurt,....
    and I prefer studio version of " and I love you so " ,'my boy ",don't cry dady" , 'moody blue "
    I agree with all except, My Boy and Moody Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by SatninLove View Post
    I prefer live ,The Wonder Of You,70's version Hound Dog,70's version I Got A Women,and Bridge Over Troubled Water.
    I prefer studio,My Way,Moody Blue.
    -SatninLove
    The only versions of Hound Dog I like are, the original studio release, cause it sounds so raw and rebelious, same goes for the Steve Allen show version, where he slowed it down to a stripper beat at the end. Then there is the 68 comeback Medley version.
    All the others I can live without, I think Elvis could have too.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverTheKing View Post
    Some of the songs I prefer in live version are: "Patch It Up", "Suspicious Minds", "My Way", "Tiger Man".

I prefer the studio version for example of "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me", "My Boy", "Memories", "Moody Blue", "Lawdy Miss Clawdy"
    Agreed I'd add "Let It Be Me" and "Hound Dog" to the list of the studio versions that I like more than live

Certainly songs like "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "You've Lost that Loving Feelings", "Polk Salad Annie", "Suspicious Minds" (although I like the studio verision of this one b/c you hear Elvis beautiful voice so clearly) and, without a doubt, "American Trilogy" benefited from the live performing treatment. Elvis seemed to come alive during these performances combined with the benefit of the live orchestra, these songs were as breathtaking as they were moving.

Songs that were better left for the studio would be the quieter ballads such as "In the Ghetto", "You Don't Know Me" and "Do Your Know Who I Am". Now its probably highly likely that Elvis would have made these songs work in live performing, but I like these songs for their sweet, simple, unadorned melodies.
    Last edited by ehollier; 08-30-2008 at 07:37 AM.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

There are too many too mention , but this is just my top 3 of each categories ...

Live version:
    1. I'll Remember You

2. I always like 'Hurt' better in live version , ...

3.T-R-O-U-B-L-E...
    This song is great both studio and live version....( hey,hey,hey )....

Studio :

1. And I Love You SO.

2. Its Now or Never..and for some reason i always cut the part of Sherill Nielsen sing it in live version..

3. Can't Help Falling In Love.

I liked Love Me Tender (live) From 1968 Comeback over Studio Version... Polk Salad Annie
    My favortive song live, Don'T Cry Daddy/ In The Ghetto Medley From TTWII and Suspicious Minds And An American Trilogy

For Studios versions: I liked My Way went that was release, I thinking I was coolest version and same for For The Good Times studio Version, I liked most Early 1970 stuff
    from Studio and Live Versions
    Tom
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

Quote Originally Posted by MojoElvis View Post
    The only versions of Hound Dog I like are, the original studio release, cause it sounds so raw and rebelious, same goes for the Steve Allen show version, where he slowed it down to a stripper beat at the end.

That was actually on the Milton Berle show where he slowed it down--and got a lot of flak for doin' such a sexually suggestive performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    That was actually on the Milton Berle show where he slowed it down--and got a lot of flak for doin' such a sexually suggestive performance.
    Yep, but it was pretty cool, anyway!!!!!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis