Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis acting compared to other Singers

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    In singing or acting he has more charisma than any of them. I enjoyed his movies more. Some scripts were painful but I thought he did his best considering. Some movies the others did had some stupid scenes and I can't watch. Some of Elvis's movies the whole script was stupid. But I may be the few, I think he was a wonderful actor. I so got into the story. Maybe it's just me!
    No offense but youre letting youre feelings cloud youre thinking.Elvis never gave a wonderfull performance in any film.Good at best.His charisma did help him on camera.It just didnt improve his acting ability.Most if not all of the people Elvis was working with were better actors than he was.

MissyM
    Well we were talking about one's who could sing too I thought??????? Did Brando sing?? Dean did and I couldn't stand him.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    His charisma did help him on camera.It just didnt improve his acting ability.Most if not all of the people Elvis was working with were better actors than he was.
    What to say ? I DO agree with you, but i keep it to myself because i don't wanna get 'killed' in this forum

I can see Elvis emotionally struggling from each movies to another, I mean same old script... girls, singing... dancing..some were having the same actresses from precious movies . I guess thats why on 'This Is Elvis' movies on one of the scene it said that the mediocrity of his movies made him phisically ill.

No offense but youre letting youre feelings cloud youre thinking.Elvis never gave a wonderfull performance in any film.Good at best.His charisma did help him on camera.It just didnt improve his acting ability.Most if not all of the people Elvis was working with were better actors than he was.
    Although Elvis never gave any Oscar winning performances, I have to disagree with you. He did have some good movies among the many that he was given -- Jailhouse Rock (and charisma just oozes from him here!!!!!!), King Creole (great script, great location, great supporting actors!), Wild in Country (sorry, but I think this is one of his better ones that gets overlooked!), Follow that Dream (this one doesn't follow the formula that was to become the travelogue!).
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    King Creole
    Watch it again.

It is wildly over-acted by everyone, except Matthau.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Watch it again.

It is wildly over-acted by everyone, except Matthau.
    I'll be happy to watch again. However, your opinion, as with everyone else here, is purely subjective....
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Although Elvis never gave any Oscar winning performances, I have to disagree with you. He did have some good movies among the many that he was given -- Jailhouse Rock (and charisma just oozes from him here!!!!!!), King Creole (great script, great location, great supporting actors!), Wild in Country (sorry, but I think this is one of his better ones that gets overlooked!), Follow that Dream (this one doesn't follow the formula that was to become the travelogue!).
    I probably didnt express myself the right way.I actually agree with you.Im not saying he didnt make some good movies.Elvis did make some good movies.He did give some "good" performances.Im just saying overall Elvis cant be considered a great actor.I just watched Kid Galahad the other night after many years.I found it very enjoyable.Not a masterpiece but a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead View Post
    What to say ? I DO agree with you, but i keep it to myself because i don't wanna get 'killed' in this forum

I can see Elvis emotionally struggling from each movies to another, I mean same old script... girls, singing... dancing..some were having the same actresses from precious movies . I guess thats why on 'This Is Elvis' movies on one of the scene it said that the mediocrity of his movies made him phisically ill.
    I guess Im a glutton for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    Well we were talking about one's who could sing too I thought??????? Did Brando sing?? Dean did and I couldn't stand him.
    Dean Martin was a better actor than Elvis.He was smooth as silk.He didnt have to try.Thats what held Elvis back.You always knew he was acting.

TCB Mafia
    Dean Martin was a better actor than Elvis.He was smooth as silk.He didnt have to try.Thats what held Elvis back.You always knew he was acting.

Hi Jak

my feeling is that Elvis should have took some acting classes I feel if he had he would have become a better actor, most of the all time great actors study acting.

I guess Im a glutton for punishment.
    No ...

I said that i hope i didnt get killed on this forum, because as i read all these threads..i could see how some people were so hardcore with Elvis they don't want to hear any bad things about him, unlike me and some who love Elvis good or bad. Elvis IS the king of music BUT he is indeed a human too like me and you.

I agree with some words you are saying and it was good to have someone share the same opinion ..not ALL.. but you got the point as i am..

I think thaht somehow ELVIS last time with these films,it´s clear that wanted to be a good actor,but neither gave him an opportunity ,whit all these films and singing the same thing,but we must no forget that the Jailhose Rock and King Creole,for me king are among the best movies he could do,but i´m glad that this stopped so we surprise wiht his Comeback 68´

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by beckelvis View Post
    I think thaht somehow ELVIS last time with these films,it´s clear that wanted to be a good actor,but neither gave him an opportunity ,whit all these films and singing the same thing,but we must no forget that the Jailhose Rock and King Creole,for me king are among the best movies he could do,but i´m glad that this stopped so we surprise wiht his Comeback 68´
    Huh??????

I agree, Jak. Dean Martin was a better actor than Elvis...

But, I do feel Elvis did the best he could with the parts he was given, which was usually the same...

franny

I agree, in spite of no training Elvis did good...not great. With better scripts and training, who knows?

Diane

Vegas King
    He was very very talented for acting but that scripts were his problem.

if there's anyone to get killed it must be me thinking James Dean's acting was too exaggerating and disturbing even though he didn't have to play caricature characters as Elvis had to..give him comic characters with some unnatural hairdo plus a too loud make up and expect him to take that role serious..a silly expectation for sure(and nothing to do with being a professional bla bla..)
    he needed to be given enough field,and people who believed in him,with enough respect toward the artist in him and his interest in making movies, movie companies and a manager without that smirk on their faces and dollar signs in their eyes when hearing the name Elvis..
    I enjoy his movies they're fun for me but sure wasn't for Elvis..
    Last edited by 4THEHEART; 08-25-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Some Of Their Films Amuse Much To Me, But I´m Sure That To It Did Not Like, To Have To Sing Those So Absurd Song To Interpret The Same.

It Seems To Me Shameful That To Elvis It Is Possible To Be Compared Ti Him Wiht Spears,and Carey,ect............he Is Good Actor But They Did,not Give The Opportunity To Develope It Him.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shelley.m. View Post
    We only have good old Col.Parker to blame for that.
    Elvis signed the dotted line.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast