Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis plans for the future

TCB Mafia

Elvis plans for the future

Since it has been Elvis week and everyone has remembered Elvis and his passing. I got to thinking had Elvis not died in August of 1977 what was he going to do? I have found out some of his immediate plans, I was listening to sirius satelite radio for birthday week 2006 and they had Dick Grob on who said that Elvis was very interested in doing more worldwide satelite concerts from places like Tokyo, Rome, London and in the future Mr. Grob said Elvis would probably be doing more gospel material and was looking to go back to Hollywood and do serious non singing roles.
    I've heard from Jerry Schilling and Larry Gellar that Elvis was also talking of forming his own production company and producing movies.
    I heard from various fans that the Colonel was going to book Elvis to do a big New year's eve show at the Seattle Kingdom on December, 31, 1977 and for Elvis to play a brand new 7,000 showroom in Las Vegas.
    I heard from J.D. Sumner and members of the stamps that Elvis was thinking about doing some all gospel shows and doing an all gospel tour of the states and maybe Europe.

I personally like all these plans

What do you all think of Elvis immediate future plans?

Does any of you know of any plans that Elvis had that I have not listed?

I look forward to hearing from everyone on this

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    All of this looks nice typed out, but in actual reality if it hadn't happened by the time of his death, I don't see it would have ever happened.

The talk of satellite shows in Tokyo etc, again, if he was stayed with Parker I don't see that happening either. He wanted to make the karate film in 1974 but somehow didn't parker shut that down....
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    All of this looks nice typed out, but in actual reality if it hadn't happened by the time of his death, I don't see it would have ever happened.

The talk of satellite shows in Tokyo etc, again, if he was stayed with Parker I don't see that happening either. He wanted to make the karate film in 1974 but somehow didn't parker shut that down....
    Hi Bradley

Are you still on that illegal alien, Colonel Parker couldn't leave the country or he'd be deported etc. As I have said Col. wasn't like you are me he was famous and had money with friendships with many high ranking government officials he could get a passport trust me. Remember the original satelite show Aloha that was Colonel Parker's idea and he sent Charlie Stone to Europe to look a venues for a possible tour there in 1978.
    Col. was supposedly against the idea of a karate documentary because he didn't think it would make very much money, Elvis wasn't going to be in it that much. I think ultimately the reason it didn't get made was because Elvis brought to many people into the project and had some trouble with financing then it got shelved.

International Level
    If Parker was ok with a world or even European tour why did he continuosly turn down large sums of money to appear at Wembley - that is something I have wondered should I believe that the "Colonel" would have no problem with a World Tour.

Perhaps Parker could of wrangled a passport etc... but one very important thing is being forgotten here. Parkers hold over Elvis when they signed the new contract was that Elvis owed Parker money.

Had Elvis known that Parker was an illegal alien the contract would be null and void - and Elvis would not owe Parker anything, as Parker was never a U.S citizen and never really "existed" to begin with.

Parker also probabaly would have been quite embarrassed had all this come out in say the late 60's or early to mid 70's when Elvis was alive and well.

It's interesting to speculate on whether or not Parker could have gotten a passport, whether or not Elvis would have tolerated Parkers lies to himself, his mother and father and whether it was the reason Elvis did not tour abroad.

One thing is for sure. Parker was too much of a coward to open up about it himself. Marie more than likely was conned her whole married life to the man and the blame for Elvis not going on a world tour lyes with Elvis. He didn't have to keep Colonel - he chose to keep him.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryx View Post
    If Parker was ok with a world or even European tour why did he continuosly turn down large sums of money to appear at Wembley - that is something I have wondered should I believe that the "Colonel" would have no problem with a World Tour.

Perhaps Parker could of wrangled a passport etc... but one very important thing is being forgotten here. Parkers hold over Elvis when they signed the new contract was that Elvis owed Parker money.

Had Elvis known that Parker was an illegal alien the contract would be null and void - and Elvis would not owe Parker anything, as Parker was never a U.S citizen and never really "existed" to begin with.

Parker also probabaly would have been quite embarrassed had all this come out in say the late 60's or early to mid 70's when Elvis was alive and well.

It's interesting to speculate on whether or not Parker could have gotten a passport, whether or not Elvis would have tolerated Parkers lies to himself, his mother and father and whether it was the reason Elvis did not tour abroad.

One thing is for sure. Parker was too much of a coward to open up about it himself. Marie more than likely was conned her whole married life to the man and the blame for Elvis not going on a world tour lyes with Elvis. He didn't have to keep Colonel - he chose to keep him.
    I got the info from Colonel Parker sending Charlie Stone to look at venues from Charlie Stone himself. no doubt about it for me that Colonel Parker could have got a passport anytime he wanted to because of his position of power and his friendships with many politicians within the government. that's not something I would dismiss so quickly, Colonel parker served in the military, paid his taxes and behaved himself. Colonel parker didn't seem to care all that much that when his status became known and no one else care either the only time Parker was ever asked about it really was fans coming up to him along with reporters asking him if him being illegal had anything to do with Elvis not touring outside the U.S. something he always denied.
    Sonny was saying that Colonel Parker feared Elvis carrying a large quantity of his drugs and that Elvis started using guns for more that protection including shooting up houses, hotel rooms, and objects such as chandliers were the reasons for turning down international offers.
    None of Colonel Parker's previous clients Hank Snow, Eddy Arnold or Tommy Sands cared that the Colonel was illegal so I don't see why Elvis would have cared he probably would have been shocked and surprised at first but I don't think it would have mattered in the long run.
    The other Memphis mafia members who do blame Parker for Elvis not going on a world tour don't really care he was illegal they just blame him and say it was selfish of him to do that but when you think about it the idea that if Colonel parker would leave the U.S, and not be allowed back in, a famous person who had been here since 1929 doesn't really make sense or is a good enough excuse. there had to be another reason and Elvis occasionally played Stadiums and there was hockey sized venues in Canada along with Wembley Arena in London. I don't think he was a coward I think he was sly as a fox who would have admitted to whoever he had to, to get what he wanted.

International Level
    I'm not disputing whether or not Colonel could get a passport. I am disputing the legality of his contract with Elvis as happened after Elvis's death had Elvis known of Colonel's status.

Elvis can't be compared to Hank Snow or Eddy Arnold as far as touring abroad or caring about being lied to. From everything we know of Elvis, he probabaly would not have appreciated it.

Colonel was sly - but also a coward by not admitting his status to anyone.

Elvis's weapons and drug abuse would have been a nightmare for a World Tour, that is correct. However a tour early in the seventies would probabaly have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I got the info from Colonel Parker sending Charlie Stone to look at venues from Charlie Stone himself. no doubt about it for me that Colonel Parker could have got a passport anytime he wanted to because of his position of power and his friendships with many politicians within the government. that's not something I would dismiss so quickly, Colonel parker served in the military, paid his taxes and behaved himself. Colonel parker didn't seem to care all that much that when his status became known and no one else care either the only time Parker was ever asked about it really was fans coming up to him along with reporters asking him if him being illegal had anything to do with Elvis not touring outside the U.S. something he always denied.
    Sonny was saying that Colonel Parker feared Elvis carrying a large quantity of his drugs and that Elvis started using guns for more that protection including shooting up houses, hotel rooms, and objects such as chandliers were the reasons for turning down international offers.
    None of Colonel Parker's previous clients Hank Snow, Eddy Arnold or Tommy Sands cared that the Colonel was illegal so I don't see why Elvis would have cared he probably would have been shocked and surprised at first but I don't think it would have mattered in the long run.
    The other Memphis mafia members who do blame Parker for Elvis not going on a world tour don't really care he was illegal they just blame him and say it was selfish of him to do that but when you think about it the idea that if Colonel parker would leave the U.S, and not be allowed back in, a famous person who had been here since 1929 doesn't really make sense or is a good enough excuse. there had to be another reason and Elvis occasionally played Stadiums and there was hockey sized venues in Canada along with Wembley Arena in London. I don't think he was a coward I think he was sly as a fox who would have admitted to whoever he had to, to get what he wanted.

TCB Mafia
    I'm not disputing whether or not Colonel could get a passport. I am disputing the legality of his contract with Elvis as happened after Elvis's death had Elvis known of Colonel's status.

Elvis can't be compared to Hank Snow or Eddy Arnold as far as touring abroad or caring about being lied to. From everything we know of Elvis, he probabaly would not have appreciated it.

Elvis's weapons and drug abuse would have been a nightmare for a World Tour, that is correct. However a tour early in the seventies would probabaly have been possible.
    Hi Stryk

I'm saying if Eddy Arnold, Hank Snow, Tommy Sands didn't really care or the Memphis mafia members, Priscilla or even Loanne Parker didn't care I don't see why Elvis would care.
    You are correct Elvis was bigger than Sands, Snow and Eddy Arnold but they were still people who he managed and it didn't bother them.
    Sonny was talking about the Colonel admitting to LBJ or one of his other politician friends in private about his status and getting them to fix it.
    I don't see why the Colonel's contract with Elvis wouldn't have been legal because he still got Elvis well known by getting him a recording contract with a major label, got him well know by putting him on t.v., then getting him in the movies where he got a very high salary and continued to get bookings for him in the 70's. Colonel got offers to manage other artists after Elvis died and after it came out he was an illegal alien like from Ricky Nelson and Tony Orlando. My thoughts on Elvis and Colonel parkers relationship is that I don't think Elvis was ever going to fire him and that he was always going to be Elvis manager until he decided to retire, I think they might have split up in 1980 as Colonel was getting on up there in age.

I see the world tour topic didn't long to resurface.

Again I am in agreement with Styrx here, Elvis chose to stay with the Colonel therefore the fault lies in his hands imo.......
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Are you still on that illegal alien, Colonel Parker couldn't leave the country or he'd be deported etc. As I have said Col. wasn't like you are me he was famous and had money with friendships with many high ranking government officials he could get a passport trust me.

no doubt about it for me that Colonel Parker could have got a passport anytime he wanted to because of his position of power and his friendships with many politicians within the government.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post

Rossie, I've never seen smiley's like that put it the best!

TCB Mafia
    I see the world tour topic didn't long to resurface.

Again I am in agreement with Styrx here, Elvis chose to stay with the Colonel therefore the fault lies in his hands imo.......

Hi Bradley

This isn't really a world tour thread I was just replying back to you about Elvis supposed plans to do another satelite show abroad.
    a lot of Elvis fans will always blame Colonel Parker for all of the things they think are wrong with his career and I really think they shouldn't.
    Now back on topic regarding Elvis plans for the future I heard from another fan on the Fecc forum that they read that their was a proposed deal for Elvis to perform on PBS with the Boston Pops orchestra I think that would certainly be something different for Elvis to do, given his love for performing with orchestra's and doing big ballads with operatic endings.
    I also heard from George Klein that Elvis told him he was going to record a blues album. I think Elvis should have recorded a blues album in the early 70's as a follow up to the Elvis country album but better late than never.
    It seems Elvis has some very interesting and ambitious projects on the horizon has anybody heard of any of Elvis proposed future career plans that I haven't mentioned.

Sadly Elvis would have stayed on the same cycle of tours until he collapsed or numbers started to dwindle.
    Sadly his management had lost all inspiration and incentive to help the artist grow. Sadly his management had become totally involved in making money while it could, even if it meant leaving an ill star performing a series of gruelling one-night stands.
    Sandly his management blocked any potentially interesting projects which could have revived the star's lust for life.
    Sadly the star himself had become caught up in this cycle and was unable to break out and could not help hinself.
    Sadly the star died and so all speculation about what may have happened is just that - speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Sadly Elvis would have stayed on the same cycle of tours until he collapsed or numbers started to dwindle.
    Sadly his management had lost all inspiration and incentive to help the artist grow. Sadly his management had become totally involved in making money while it could, even if it meant leaving an ill star performing a series of gruelling one-night stands.
    Sandly his management blocked any potentially interesting projects which could have revived the star's lust for life.
    Sadly the star himself had become caught up in this cycle and was unable to break out and could not help hinself.
    Sadly the star died and so all speculation about what may have happened is just that - speculation.
    Couldnt' agree more. If only his management had been more concerned with ELvis' creativeness instead of the easy way to make money, but Colonel like the quick buck. and Elvis needed the money in the end.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Hi rickb

This particular thread isn't about speculation it's about deals he had on the table or was very seriously considering doing when he died. It isn't like a thread about what would Elvis be doing today if he was still alive.

Its funny but I think the only plans Elvis had on his mind when he passed on was just to continue was he was doing touring the country. I don't see him making a huge move had he lived who knows the world will never know which is why the what if's and things like this are totally pointless.

TCB Mafia
    Its funny but I think the only plans Elvis had on his mind when he passed on was just to continue was he was doing touring the country. I don't see him making a huge move had he lived who knows the world will never know which is why the what if's and things like this are totally pointless.

Hi Bradley

I think your right about Elvis continuing touring around the country because before he died he was suppose to do another u.s. tour but following that these are the plans Elvis supposedly had on the table as I've heard members of his entourage and the Colonel's entourage talk about them.
    I respectfully disagree with you about what if threads being totally pointless, I think there fun to discuss and something different. This message board is to have fun discussing our favorite entertainer who has been dead for 31 years now. if we only talk about things he actually did we will run out of things to talk about. The what if threads don't hurt anything imo.

Hi Bradley

I think your right about Elvis continuing touring around the country because before he died he was suppose to do another u.s. tour but following that these are the plans Elvis supposedly had on the table as I've heard members of his entourage and the Colonel's entourage talk about them.
    I respectfully disagree with you about what if threads being totally pointless, I think there fun to discuss and something different. This message board is to have fun discussing our favorite entertainer who has been dead for 31 years now. if we only talk about things he actually did we will run out of things to talk about. The what if threads don't hurt anything imo.
    I just don't see the way things were going at the time of his death a big change was going to come. Billy Smith did say he was going to make that august tour the best ever...but like Billy said he thinks Elvis was just syching himself up for the tour so to speak.

Hi Stryk

I'm saying if Eddy Arnold, Hank Snow, Tommy Sands didn't really care or the Memphis mafia members, Priscilla or even Loanne Parker didn't care I don't see why Elvis would care.
    You are correct Elvis was bigger than Sands, Snow and Eddy Arnold but they were still people who he managed and it didn't bother them.
    Sonny was talking about the Colonel admitting to LBJ or one of his other politician friends in private about his status and getting them to fix it.
    I don't see why the Colonel's contract with Elvis wouldn't have been legal because he still got Elvis well known by getting him a recording contract with a major label, got him well know by putting him on t.v., then getting him in the movies where he got a very high salary and continued to get bookings for him in the 70's. Colonel got offers to manage other artists after Elvis died and after it came out he was an illegal alien like from Ricky Nelson and Tony Orlando. My thoughts on Elvis and Colonel parkers relationship is that I don't think Elvis was ever going to fire him and that he was always going to be Elvis manager until he decided to retire, I think they might have split up in 1980 as Colonel was getting on up there in age.
    It did not bother them in "retrospect" with time having passed. Their opinions may have been different while he was directly involved with them-as Elvis's perhaps would have been.
    Its easy after years have passed to look back and think positive about some unknown situtation which no longer has a bearing on anything. But its a much different situation as you live it in the moment.

As far as Parkers contract with Elvis not being legal-if his name had not been legally changed from Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk to Tom Parker then the contract would have been null and void. (unless it was specified in the contract that it was his professional name)
    The truth about his early years was revealed when his family in the Netherlands recognized him in photographs of him standing next to Elvis; this claim was confirmed when Parker tried to avert a lawsuit in 1982 by asserting that he was a Dutch citizen. In 1993 Dutch TV director Jorrit van der Kooi talked to him in Dutch about his family background in Holland. Parker was not aware that his sister Adriana had died a few years before. Van der Kooi also filmed the Colonel with a hidden camera while he was gambling in a casino in Las Vegas. This footage can be seen in the Dutch documentary "Looking for Colonel Parker".
    The only time he ever admitted he was not a US citizen was when he was trying to keep the estate from pushing him out of the Elvis money machine. IRONIC IMO

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    It did not bother them in "retrospect" with time having passed. Their opinions may have been different while he was directly involved with them-as Elvis's perhaps would have been.
    Its easy after years have passed to look back and think positive about some unknown situtation which no longer has a bearing on anything. But its a much different situation as you live it in the moment.

As far as Parkers contract with Elvis not being legal-if his name had not been legally changed from Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk to Tom Parker then the contract would have been null and void. (unless it was specified in the contract that it was his professional name)
    The truth about his early years was revealed when his family in the Netherlands recognized him in photographs of him standing next to Elvis; this claim was confirmed when Parker tried to avert a lawsuit in 1982 by asserting that he was a Dutch citizen. In 1993 Dutch TV director Jorrit van der Kooi talked to him in Dutch about his family background in Holland. Parker was not aware that his sister Adriana had died a few years before. Van der Kooi also filmed the Colonel with a hidden camera while he was gambling in a casino in Las Vegas. This footage can be seen in the Dutch documentary "Looking for Colonel Parker".
    The only time he ever admitted he was not a US citizen was when he was trying to keep the estate from pushing him out of the Elvis money machine. IRONIC IMO
    I still don't think Elvis would have really cared, and I don't see Elvis firing the Colonel ever. he would have stayed Elvis manager until he was ready to retire I bet anyone. According to Lamar, Elvis strongly suspected that the Colonel was running up large lines of credit at the casino's in Vegas and was thinking Colonel was booking him in Vegas to continue gambling and get Elvis to help pay his gambling debts. If Elvis wasn't going to fire the Colonel or tell him to quit doing stuff like then I don't see Elvis really getting mad and firing the Colonel for his illegal alien status.
    I have read Alanna Nash book and have also read about the court case with EPE and Colonel Parker's brother visiting him in the early 60's. you are correct about that Ken.

I just don't see the way things were going at the time of his death a big change was going to come. Billy Smith did say he was going to make that august tour the best ever...but like Billy said he thinks Elvis was just syching himself up for the tour so to speak.
    Elvis basically said that before each and every tour. Knowing what we know now...the shape he was in physically, I'm afraid this August tour could have easily ended up in shambles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast