Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Show

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Question One Show

If you could go back in time, or had been around when Elvis was performing live in the 70's and you could choose one just ONE show to attend whether its in Vegas, Tahoe, or on the road what would you pick. This is hard as heck for me as I have so many shows i dearly love but this would be my pick as of right now.

December 29th 1976 Birmingham Alabama

I've been playing this show for the past two days, Hurt, Melody, Good Times, My Way, such a great freaking show and Elvis' vocals are soaring high as ever.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

My choice - hands down - would have been the FIRST sit-down show of the 68 Comeback Special!!!!!!!!!!!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    My choice - hands down - would have been the FIRST sit-down show of the 68 Comeback Special!!!!!!!!!!!
    History in the making !!!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    History in the making !!!!
    WITHOUT A DOUBT, BRAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

WITHOUT A DOUBT, BRAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question Liz, what is your personal favorite show from the 70's era

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Opening show at MSG for sure.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    Opening show at MSG for sure.
    Another great pick, heck any of the Madison Square Garden shows would have been a joy to see !!

Question Liz, what is your personal favorite show from the 70's era
    It would have been equally exciting to see the very first Vegas show since it was another 'first'. But if you want stictly a 1970's show, I think any of the Vegas shows in 1970 would have been exciting because the music, the shows, the peformances were all still fresh and brand new and Elvis was still so physical when he performed. By 1971, his shows were less physical and everything had become more or less routine.

University of Memphis

It would have been equally exciting to see the very first Vegas show since it was another 'first'. But if you want stictly a 1970's show, I think any of the Vegas shows in 1970 would have been exciting because the music, the shows, the peformances were all still fresh and brand new and Elvis was still so physical when he performed. By 1971, his shows were less physical and everything had become more or less routine.
    Agreed but the shows were still rockin in 71. Listen to Boston november 10th 1971 on madions's one night only man elvis was electrifying!

International Level WHITETIGERMAN's Avatar
    I'm stuck between August 10,1970..........the August shows of 1969.To many to choose....heck the Greensboro show from April 14,1972 I love as well.Like I said....there are more I could call off,he was so amazing that any show would really been fine to me.
    Your pick is fantastic as well there Col Jon.

But if you want stictly a 1970's show, I think any of the Vegas shows in 1970 would have been exciting because the music, the shows, the peformances were all still fresh and brand new and Elvis was still so physical when he performed. By 1971, his shows were less physical and everything had become more or less routine.
    I saw him in Vegas in '71 and it was physical and there was nothing routine about it. The next time I saw him was Nov. of '71 and it was also physical. In the summer of '72 he still had a very physical "Suspicious Minds". I realize that you were not able to "see" any of those shows, but you are missing out on lots of good times if you think that after 1970 he had become routine. As far as that goes...listen to 12/28/76 in Dallas. It's a great show!

Agreed but the shows were still rockin in 71. Listen to Boston november 10th 1971 on madions's one night only man elvis was electrifying!
    Correct Bradley...the November show in Dallas was fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Correct Bradley...the November show in Dallas was fabulous!
    I wish audio in "good" sound existed from more of those november 71 shows...the setlist i've seen are fantastic!!

I saw him in Vegas in '71 and it was physical and there was nothing routine about it. The next time I saw him was Nov. of '71 and it was also physical. In the summer of '72 he still had a very physical "Suspicious Minds". I realize that you were not able to "see" any of those shows, but you are missing out on lots of good times if you think that after 1970 he had become routine. As far as that goes...listen to 12/28/76 in Dallas. It's a great show!
    Well said my friend well said.
    That Dallas 76 show from December 28th 1976 puts the EIC LP to ashes IMO! Of course the shows were going to calm down as the years go on i mean the man was getting older its only natural that dont mean the shows were bad or he was to "drugged" to move or overweight etc. The shows became more polished I think he set the standards to high in 69-70 there was so much movement.

Quote Originally Posted by WHITETIGERMAN View Post
    I'm stuck between August 10,1970..........the August shows of 1969.To many to choose....heck the Greensboro show from April 14,1972 I love as well.Like I said....there are more I could call off,he was so amazing that any show would really been fine to me.
    Your pick is fantastic as well there Col Jon.
    I know what your saying theres just so many great shows to choose from

Well said my friend well said.
    That Dallas 76 show from December 28th 1976 puts the EIC LP to ashes IMO! Of course the shows were going to calm down as the years go on i mean the man was getting older its only natural that dont mean the shows were bad or he was to "drugged" to move or overweight etc. The shows became more polished I think he set the standards to high in 69-70 there was so much movement.
    Exactly!! 42 doesn't move like 34 or 35. I am always befuddled when I hear or see comments that act as though he was done after TTWII. Oh well....their loss, not ours.

I wish audio in "good" sound existed from more of those november 71 shows...the setlist i've seen are fantastic!!
    Yes...the setlist from the November '71 tour was a good one. My favorite set list without question though is the setlist from 08/06/73...that was wonderful. And...the ONLY time that "Raised On Rock" was performed live.

Exactly!! 42 doesn't move like 34 or 35. I am always befuddled when I hear or see comments that act as though he was done after TTWII. Oh well....their loss, not ours.
    As am I, the man gave so many great shows after ttwii and when people write him off even after the Aloha performance, it is such ashame.

International Level WHITETIGERMAN's Avatar
    I feel the same...........he could get down and get with it.Those Tours of '74 and '75
    were just as fantastic.

Yes...the setlist from the November '71 tour was a good one. My favorite set list without question though is the setlist from 08/06/73...that was wonderful. And...the ONLY time that "Raised On Rock" was performed live.
    Crazy you bring that show up as I was sampling the new cd raised on vegas today from opening night august 73 and listened to a few tracks mainly raised on rock, which was great to hear, memphis TN, loved the intro to that and was surprised Elvis knew most of the song too and the first version of my boy which elvis was off a little on the timing in a few different parts but have to cut him some slack was the first ever performance of the song live and he did a heck of a job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast