Thread: Elvis's roots

MissyM

Elvis's roots

Do you think his humble beginning hampered or helped his career/life? I have mixed feelings on this so I would love to hear your opinions and insights?

In a way I think it helped his career with the "Rags to Riches" story.

Diane

I think his humble begining made him this person he was back then. who can say how he would have turned out otherwise we can only guess.
    elvislady

difficulties and tragedies teach us..in a hard way for sure..Elvis,I guess was kind of a person who gained more consideration and a broader,deeper view on life and people from his hardlife at the beginning.Some seeks revenge afterwards of the days in poverty, but he showed us he only wanted to change things better for everyone and wished no one would experience again such difficulties he had.. which takes an inborn spiritual maturity..it was not less than magic how Elvis helped one way or another to so many people and became a light in their life or at least in their moments..don't know,what more can one ask of him..

Backstage Pass
    Do you think his humble beginning hampered or helped his career/life? I have mixed feelings on this so I would love to hear your opinions and insights?
    Initially it helped, in the sense that Americans like the rags to riches story.

Overall, IMO, it hurt. I think Alanna Nash said in her book on the Colonel that Elvis was incredibly unprepared for the level of fame that hit him. He'd have been much better off if he'd had a few smart lawyers in the family tree - and some exposure to parts of the country other than the South. He also had, as Bobbie Ann Mason suggested in her book, a world view shaped by growing up dirt poor. He'd have been less deferential to the Colonel and others if he hadn't come from so little, maybe. Joe Esposito (I think it's Joe, it's one of the MM) has made a similar point, when he talks about Elvis hating the movies he did. He says people always say to him "but he was freaking Elvis Presley, he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to do." And his response is that Elvis just didn't think like that.

Oh I think it hurt-he had the world at his feet at 21-but before that the feet of the world were on him. Thats a huge cultural contrast. Suddenly you are in the strongest spotlight in history for an entertainer-people want to touch you, they scream at your sight want pieces of your cloths and they worship you. Individuals who would not give you the time of day at the age of 20-now want to be in your company. Deals of all kinds are tossed at you and the only deals you got before were coupons for 20 cents off of a pound of bread your mom had to cut out of the paper.
    He and his whole family were no-where ready for this kind of success. When you are not ready for anything you make mistakes in judgement and trust and you pay somewhere for them.

I must have misunderstood the question when I said his rags to riches story helped his career. I didn't see "life" there and so have to agree with everything Ken said about that part of it. But not many people have the background to be able to stand up and handle the kind of fame that came to Elvis. I imagine it would still be hard for those who were raised in that situation.

Diane

Coming On Strong
    Some of Elvis' roots came from Scotland

I think they are part of the importance of Elvis. Talking in musical terms, all his career was such an evolution. 70s wouldn't exist without those 50s roots, I think.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

i really dont know it happened so fast that it may of hurt him but as far as he treated others and things such as that yes he was very humble , and if he was still alive today he would give God all the glory !
    Tony

TCB Mafia
    quote nyc

Elvis was incredibly unprepared for the level of fame that hit him. He'd have been much better off if he'd had a few smart lawyers in the family tree - and some exposure to parts of the country other than the South.

end quote

quote KPM

Oh I think it hurt-he had the world at his feet at 21-but before that the feet of the world were on him. Thats a huge cultural contrast. Suddenly you are in the strongest spotlight in history for an entertainer-people want to touch you, they scream at your sight want pieces of your cloths and they worship you. Individuals who would not give you the time of day at the age of 20-now want to be in your company. Deals of all kinds are tossed at you and the only deals you got before were coupons for 20 cents off of a pound of bread your mom had to cut out of the paper.
    He and his whole family were no-where ready for this kind of success.

end quote

very good point of views
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

His sincerity and humble attitude is what made him acceptable in the first place. I dislike too much of a "strong ego" (not to say one shouldn't have will).

It's true that the rise to fame and fortune was rather a shock. I suppose it (=the difficulties later in his life) just proved that money doesn't bring happiness. This may look weird, I know.

The American Dream means that your first million is hard to achieve, but the rest is a piece of cake. The typical story of the paperboy starting in 1913 who would become a multi-billionaire by 1950. Wealth is not that easy to obtain, particularly not by honest means. Neither will it save your soul.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 08-14-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: correct something
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..