Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lisa Marie

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Lisa Marie

Being sent to Elvis' house after the divorce only on holidays and school breaks im assuming how much do you think she was aware of her fathers personal life, like the drug abuse for instance i mean she was only 9 when he died. I don't think she knew to much about the weirdness in his life and how upside down it really was.

man I dont know kids are pretty smart I bet she knew something was going on
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tony70 View Post
    man I dont know kids are pretty smart I bet she knew something was going on
    She says on Elvis By The Presley's she could tell he wasn't happy and she would see him falling and go and try and hold him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    She says on Elvis By The Presley's she could tell he wasn't happy and she would see him falling and go and try and hold him up.
    see so she something was up thats just sad how he had to live his life a prisoner in his own home , after awhile anyone would end up the same
    Tony

True.

I thought the sad part was when Lisa said how Elvis would bring a chair up to her room and sit there and smoke cigars and watch tv with her.

"I thought the sad part was when Lisa said how Elvis would bring a chair up to her room and sit there and smoke cigars and watch tv with her."

I don't think that's sad i think it shows how much he loved her and being round her.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    "I thought the sad part was when Lisa said how Elvis would bring a chair up to her room and sit there and smoke cigars and watch tv with her."

I don't think that's sad i think it shows how much he loved her and being round her.
    I meant it was sad how she said thats where he hung out in the last years, you know instead of going out more and stuff. Obvious signs he was depressed imo.

In an island in the North Atlantic called Newfoundland , Canada
    I just think about how sad it was for him to have her there visiting and to know he couldn`t do the things for her that other dad`s could do. I am sure she was aware of all that. She said in an interview that she would say to him," You are not going to die are you? I don`t want you to die." I think about all the fans outside Graceland having so much fun hoping to catch a glimpse of him. Little did they know the torment and hell that he was going through up in that room!!! Very, very sad. Kim

International Level
    I think Lisa knew. Even today she still talks about the drugs, the guys - who lived as if their wives were married and they were not etc..

As great as Graceland was and is - it wasn't the best place for a kid.

There was no good place for Lisa to be as a kid. She had a choice of a dad who was very sick with an addiction and a mom with live-in boyfriends who had no time for her.

Diane

MissyM
    As a kid you are aware, but you don't understand. She can speak now in retrospect. Hind-sight is 20/20. I'm sure she saw her father as being sick sometimes. Thousands of children deal with this. There was fun to be had at Graceland, swimming, horse riding, friends, family. And toys to entertain her. She had friends and family who adored her there. She has also said she loved her visits so how bad could it have been? Children have wonderful filters at that age as well. Part of the day of the services she was busy playing and laughing loudly with her cousins. Children have this awesome ability to make the best of a difficult situation. It's the way they are made and find fun and happiness.
    I'm sure life with mom was no picnic in the park either. But again I'm sure she had happy times too.
    I feel that looking back it is pretty unfair that Elvis is the focus of all that was wrong in her life as a child. I think it's unfair to put such little focus on her mother, the life she gave her and the "friends" that surrounded that life.
    As a child raised in a dysfunctional life, I choose not to look back knowing it was alot worse than I knew, blame my parents, or dwell on it. It all served to make me who I am now. Crap happens folks.

I think Lisa would have been 'aware' of things but not necessarily understood what was going on ... at a young age. But looking back now and hearing what Priscilla (and others) may have told her I think she would make up her own mind about all the pieces of their lives - like a jigsaw puzzle.

Also when you are a child you think your life is normal - its what you grow up with and what you're used to. I do think its sad Priscilla didnt spend as much time with Lisa as she was growing up after the divorce. Like sending her away to school (which Priscilla has since admitted was a mistake, fair enough!) and spending more time with her lovers than her daughter. thats what having a child is all about isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by MissyM View Post
    As a kid you are aware, but you don't understand. She can speak now in retrospect. .

Thats amazing - we were typing near enough the EXACT words at the same time!!!! Obviously great minds think alike!!

MissyM
    I saw that May, LOL!

Loving elvis
    Lisa Marie Presley was born on February 1st, 1968. Her parents, Elvis and Priscilla, were together until she was four; after that, she lived with her mother in Los Angeles but would regularly visit her father, usually at Graceland. Her first single, "Lights Out," reflects on this heritage: "I was crying every time I'd leave you, and then I didn't want to see you. . . . I still keep my watch two hours behind." That's what she did; leave her watch set to time in Tennessee, a habit that stuck for years after her father's death.

When she was young, she lived through her eight or so Barbies. "They'd have their lives concurrently with mine and I somehow lost myself," she says. "I loved being in that world. I mean, I was a very forlorn child. I don't know why. I know that I was deep and kind of heavy and people thought I was really sad. I think I was just a little too deep for my own pants at a young age."

As well as the Barbies, she had a Snoopy that she'd dress up and take to school. "I didn't really have any friends, so I would have him be my friend," she says. "He lasted for years. His nose fell off, and I sewed it back on. He was so dirty, and somebody finally threw him away." (Presley still has three Snoopys in her bedroom and likes to sleep with one of them in the absence of a child or a partner.)

Then there was music. Always music. In the few weeks before we first speak, Presley has been putting her first-ever band together: for TV appearances, maybe live concerts, and simply to make sure that she can do this, because until now she never has. Her mother came down to one rehearsal. "She was getting really emotional," says Lisa Marie. "She said, 'I'm getting this flashback of you when you were three or four. You wouldn't play with anybody. You wouldn't go out. You would just sit in your room with a little record player and all your 45s stacked up.' " Lisa Marie remembers it all: hiding away, listening to music or singing to herself in front of the mirror with a microphone. "My dad would catch me," she says. "I'm sure he got a kick out of it. He'd put me up on the coffee table in front of everybody and make me sing."

Presumably everyone clapped?

"I think so."

Did that mean a lot to you?

"I don't know. I think I was more into making him proud. I was doing it for him."

She loved her father's music. "I was always excited if I was on tour with him," she remembers. "When he'd come on, I would just lose it . . . you know."

But there were others fighting for her affection as a fan. She favored David and Shaun Cassidy, as well as Elton John. "One Christmas I asked for Elton John albums," she says, "and my dad was sitting there when I opened them up and was, 'Who the hell is this son of a *****?' and walked out. And then he got some of the records -- 'Who is my daughter interested in besides me?' -- and I think he went to see him live, to check out who he was."

Presley plays her father's records sometimes. "I get in certain moods and I will," she says. "I'm more prone to the Seventies stuff, because I was around then. They bring back more memories. The sad ones, I get into -- the dark ones that weren't particularly a hit on the radio. 'Mary in the Morning.' 'In the Ghetto.' 'Just Pretend.' 'Solitaire.' Those I love."

As a child, Presley lived two lives: one of discipline around her mother, and one that perhaps echoed the adult undercurrents of loneliness and indulgence at Graceland. "There was nobody looking after me, and everyone was afraid of my dad, and he was sleeping. So if that was the case, I was a tyrant. . . . If he was sleeping, which he mostly was during the day, I could do whatever until I was ordered to his room if I pushed it too far. I was awful. People would give me cameras to go and take pictures, and I'd take money and I'd say I was going to take a picture of my dad, and then I'd throw the camera somewhere. I was awful. The fans were always in the trees in the woods and getting me to come over to the fence when I'd be in my golf cart, and [I] would do stuff and throw things. It was weird, because sometimes I'd be playing and I'd hear basically a call to arms -- 'someone jumped the fence' -- and they were always jumping the fence, and I was definitely afraid: whether they were coming after me, or they'd say, 'Hi, I'm Priscilla, and I'm ready to have my dinner,' and it was a man. There was all kinds of crazy stuff going on."

The other song explicitly about her father is called "Nobody Noticed It." It was written after a day when, clicking through the TV channels, she stumbled across the E! True Hollywood Story: The Last Days of Elvis in which many of her father's associates and hangers-on talked about his downfall. "I couldn't believe they were trying to take his dignity -- Sonny West, Marty Lacker, Red West, all these people that were worse than him." These were all people she knew from his lifetime: "They scared the hell out of me when I was a kid, too. I remember seeing the Playboys, the drugs, the women -- I watched it all, and I watched them. I know the real story behind all of them, and I know what they're out there doing."

source: http://lisamarie.at.infoseek.co.jp/l...rStory2003.htm

I agree totally, Priscilla was no "Mother of the Year". She had to deal with all her mom`s live in boyfriends. Often left with them alone while mom was out pursuing her career. One of them ,Mike Edwards , wrote in his book how he had become sexually attractive to her and how he would have her dress up so he could take photos of her. She was just a kid!!! How could she leave her little girl all night with strange men. And knowing she was Elvis Presley`s daughter, they could of done anything to her. We all know of Elvis` affairs but at least they were mostly on the road. When she was growing up I always felt so sad or her. She seems very happy now . I wonder how long this one will last....

Loving elvis
    "I had the best times at Graceland," recalls Lisa "I've always loved it there. There's just an incredible feeling about that house even now that it's open to the public. I go there three or four times a year. At night, when we're alone in the house, and the same maids are cooking corn bread and black-eyed peas for us like they always did--it feels just the way it used to, when my dad was alive." "The holidays were very family oriented," says Priscilla. "Elvis' father and wife, cousins and friends were around. Somebody would dress as Santa Claus, and we'd open up presents on Christmas Eve. Elvis and I gave Lisa a golf cart when she was five years old; her little feet could just barely reach the pedals. It's still in the garage."

"My mom and dad remained close even after the divorce when I was five," says Lisa. "They'd come to school for parents' day. They'd talk on the phone. I never felt the pressure of a divorce." "We'd still hold hands," says Priscilla. "Lisa never saw any major trauma between us. No yelling or arguing. You can't explain to a child about a divorce. And we never wanted her to feel the trauma or the effects of it. Elvis was away in Las Vegas or on tour so much of the time even when we were together that there wasn't a big change. When we moved to L.A. in 1970 he had a house down the street. We didn't hate each other; we respected each other. To Elvis, I was like this kid he raised. Our daughter had that love."

"I would see my father all the time--Christmas, Easter, entire summers, weekends. A couple of times I went on tour with him," Lisa says. "If he was going to be settled in one place for a while, like Las Vegas, he'd call for me to come visit for a few days. I'd be sitting in class, and my mom would pull up in the car before school was over. That's when I knew I was going to see him. "He was always up to something, shooting off firecrackers or guns, running around, driving golf carts or snowmobiles. He'd pull me in a sled and scare me to death. On that long steep driveway that goes up to Graceland he'd be pulling me up and falling at the same time. He called me Buttonhead or Yisa. He'd never call me Lisa unless he was mad at me. "One night when I was about five or six, we were watching TV. I looked up at him and said, 'Daddy, Daddy, I don't want you to die.' And he just looked down at me and said, 'O.K., I won't. Don't worry about it.' I said that to him several times when we were alone together. He probably thought I was completely crazy. But I always felt protective of him. I guess I was picking something up. I was nine years old when my father died, so I was pretty aware."

Beautiful posts Jenn. I have been following Lisa` life since she was a little girl. I have so many articles on her that I have collected over the years. I remember the years when it was so difficult to get a photo of her because she was so well protected from the media. I would get so excited to see an up dated photo of her to see how much she had grown , or how much she looked like her dad. Such an interesting family and life they have had.

yes Cillia wast mother of the year nor was Elvis father of he year , but they lived very , very differnt lives than we do , we can leave our house w/out being mawled by people and yes thats there life and had to deal with it . But the more I think bout the saddest part was Lisa being there when her daddy past away and running through the house saying my daddys dead , that will always be w/her till the day she dies dont know bout you all but that would still bother me to this day .
    Tony

Loving elvis
    I know priscilla wasn't the best mother in the world, but Lisa did turn into a beauiful girl with so much love just like her dad. she may have a rough way about her but thats just her hiding her soft side from getting hurt. The people who have met her say she is beauiful on the inside and the out. yep priscilla might of told her things, but Lisa is pretty much the rebel kind where it came from advice from her mother and its not like she was 4 years old when elvis died, but 9 years she had witness stuff from graceland.

thank you midnight too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast