Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Official!! Elvis Christmas Duets To Be Released 10/14!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I think so, I mean look how well the 68 NBC Special and the Aloha dvdsets did, I'm sure EOT and TTWII would do just as good if not better than those. I think when they've released all there is to release etc, we will get both of these, and most likely EIC too.
    I gotta disagree with you here.Aloha and 68 were not only huge events for Elvis,they are iconic moments in the history of music period.They are legendary events.EOT just doesnt have anything going for it that comes close.I actually prefer it to Aloha myself.I just dont think the person walking in Wal Mart looking for dvd's is going to be excited about it.Outside of the fan base nobody has ever heard of EOT.I think Aloha and 68 attracted buyers who might not usually purchase Elvis products.EOT just doesnt have that broad appeal.I dont know about TTWII.They already did it with mixed results.Im not sure if we will ever see the footage available officially.EIC will never happen in our lifetime.Im for it,but it aint gonna happen.Once again I hope Im completely wrong and yourte right my friend.

I'm hoping you're wrong too Jak, but I'm terribly afraid you're right.

Diane

Once again from EPE, a "milestone" of nothing new to offer except some of todays worst artists to sing over E a la Nat King Cole and Natalie on Unforgettable. Perhaps if they could use alternate takes for E's voice it might be somewhat acceptable, but lets face it, you are going to be buying an Elvis album and hearing Wynonna and Carrie Underwood. NO THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I agree with you rocknroll that the list of singing partners is definitely a bit questionable...

TCB!
    Mike
    I think because its Christmas music-and pretty much "Traditional Christmas Music" that they used country artists.
    The feeling may be they lend themselves better to this type music and its appeal. If this had been lovesongs, blues, or rock-I do not think this would have been mainly country stars invited to duet.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think because its Christmas music-and pretty much "Traditional Christmas Music" that they used country artists.
    The feeling may be they lend themselves better to this type music and its appeal. If this had been lovesongs, blues, or rock-I do not think this would have been mainly country stars invited to duet.
    Good point Ken...I hadn't really thought of it like that...

Maybe the singing partners do make more sense when you look at it that way...thanks for pointing that out!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    I won't buy it for myself, but only because, since it's close to Christmas, I'm pretty sure I'll get at least one copy of it in my Christmas stocking. In which case, I'll give it a fair listen
    I'm with you Lisarose...I won't go out of my way to buy it, but if a copy finds its way into my Christmas stocking, I'll certainly give it a listen...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

SleepyJack
    Think I`ll have to start being really really naughty so that Santa doesn`t give me one of these!!!!

Just be yourself Jack and all will be well.

Diane

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Jak you may be right but I hope not.

I can live without seeing EIC released offically

But if all the outtakes from eot and ttwii dont get released officially in a deluxe set that will be very very sad for me
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I'm in favour of these types of releases. New initiatives are needed to keep Elvis fresh in the public gallery. Imagine if all we had were greatest hits albums since 1977.

However, from my own tastes and point of view, it's a shame this is limited to Christmas songs and I wish they would use a different genre like pop, blues or rock. I will however buy it to support the bottom line argument for future ideas.
    The Acoustic Rockabilly Channel ♫ for exclusive acoustic rockabilly videos

Elvis holidays & tours to Memphis & Graceland with Arena Travel

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I believe you will get your wish, Trelane.

And I guess I am in the minority here but I have always been in favor of these types of releases. The original recordings still exist and things like this may bring more people around to wanting to discover them than what they would have done without incentives like these.

It is a shame though that there is not more faith in the original products. I think the powers that be probably underestimate their power. But regardless this is a wise move.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post

And I guess I am in the minority here but I have always been in favor of these types of releases. The original recordings still exist and things like this may bring more people around to wanting to discover them than what they would have done without incentives like these.

It is a shame though that there is not more faith in the original products. I think the powers that be probably underestimate their power. But regardless this is a wise move.
    Maybe if this does well with fans and people who don't normally buy Elvis or listen to Elvis it will lead to other projects like it.
    I just hope they are produced in quality way with quality peers of Elvis.

I will keep an open mind bout this just because I do like some of these singers so we'll see how it does , some if not all these songs should hit the radios round Christmas time.
    Tony

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelane P View Post
    I'm in favour of these types of releases. New initiatives are needed to keep Elvis fresh in the public gallery. Imagine if all we had were greatest hits albums since 1977.

However, from my own tastes and point of view, it's a shame this is limited to Christmas songs and I wish they would use a different genre like pop, blues or rock. I will however buy it to support the bottom line argument for future ideas.
    I don't think these country artists will keep Elvis fresh in the public galary. Not sure some 15 year old is going to run to school and ask his/her friends if they heard the new country/Christmas duet with Elvis Presley and Wynonna (or whoever).

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post

Agreed Bobby. Thats the thing about Elvis fans, they start to put down such projects to early. Who know's it may turn it well it may not. As for me I look forward to hearing it I usually dont like stuff like this but something different can't hurt can it if i dont like it and thinks its no good then its another one for the shelf. More Elvis cds the merrier

Smile

A sing-along with Elvis!! Who needs it not I, another way to make money for these singers and Sony!!

How silly! Elvis stands alone, it's a shame they are doing this, and mess up his singing with other voices.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Elvis wasn't in a position to say whether he actually wanted to duet with these artists.
    That's just one of the reasons why this release qualifies as exploitation.

I'm still trying to get over that weird computer-assisted duet with Celine Dionne.
    If he'd known when he was singing If I Can Dream for the Comeback Special that his performance would be manipulated in post-production to reveal his impassioned performance as a duet with some warbling Canadian woman who he'd never met, he probably would have walked out and told Steve Binder to stick the idea up his a*s.

The guy isn't around to offer his opinion. Leave it the way he intended it.

Cadillac King
    Tell us how you really feel, Teddy. I didn't feel there was anything to get over. I quite enjoyed it.

As for "Christmas Duets" I'm witholding my judgement until I see the final tracklist for the U.S. version. If I like the list I'll buy the cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Elvis wasn't in a position to say whether he actually wanted to duet with these artists. That's just one of the reasons why this release qualifies as exploitation.
    All releases are exploitation in one form or another. The artist exploits the record company to pay him money, the company exploits the artist to get the stuff recorded ... and they all exploit the fans who buy the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    The guy isn't around to offer his opinion. Leave it the way he intended it.
    By that rationale, nothing would have been released after August 1977! No outtakes, no FTD, no afternoon show from MSG or Aloha rehearsal, no soundboards, expanded movie soundtracks. And no Graceland opening either, for that matter. And everything else that's happened the last three decades ...

That's the whole point: Elvis isn't here, so BMG (for better or worse) are making the decisions without him. And you can bet that Lisa approved this; she is his custodian.

The guy carked it nearly 31 years ago: who cares what he would have thought of it!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A sing-along with Elvis!! Who needs it not I, another way to make money for these singers and Sony!!

How silly! Elvis stands alone, it's a shame they are doing this, and mess up his singing with other voices.
    got to agree with you Tommy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast