Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: The TCB band and the rest of the 70's gang

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    The TCB band and the rest of the 70's gang

    How everyone how are all of you?

    I have a question and I was wondering if anyone here knew the answer

    Does anyone know how much a year Elvis was paying the TCB band, the sweets, the stamps and the Joe Guercio orchestra?

    I had heard their were squabbles at times from band members who threatened to quit if they weren't paid more money is that true?


    Does anyone know the answers to these questions I was just curious any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

  2. #2
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    Supposedly Brian, there was at least one incident where a couple of the TCB Band members threatened to quit over money. During the early part of 1976, both James Burton and Ronnie Tutt quit the band due to wanting more money as well as to pursue other musical opportunities. But right before the March '76 tour kicked off, James returned to the band. Ronnie however did not, thus the reason why Larrie London was the drummer for those first few shows of 1976.

    As I said, this is the way it SUPPOSEDLY happened...if anyone has more or different information, I would definitely be interested in hearing it...

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  3. #3
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Supposedly Brian, there was at least one incident where a couple of the TCB Band members threatened to quit over money. During the early part of 1976, both James Burton and Ronnie Tutt quit the band due to wanting more money as well as to pursue other musical opportunities. But right before the March '76 tour kicked off, James returned to the band. Ronnie however did not, thus the reason why Larrie London was the drummer for those first few shows of 1976.

    As I said, this is the way it SUPPOSEDLY happened...if anyone has more or different information, I would definitely be interested in hearing it...

    TCB!
    Mike

    Do you have any information on what they were getting paid yearly by Elvis sir?

  4. #4
    Resident SP! Tony Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    2,941
    I believe that James Burton (starting in '69) was paid $5,000.00/week. Not sure if that ever changed...it presumably did because James almost left Elvis due to a salary dispute.

  5. #5
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I believe that James Burton (starting in '69) was paid $5,000.00/week. Not sure if that ever changed...it presumably did because James almost left Elvis due to a salary dispute.
    $5000 a week was a butt-load of money for the 70's. It sounds as though Elvis kept them well paid.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    $5000 a week was a butt-load of money for the 70's. It sounds as though Elvis kept them well paid.
    A real butt-load!!!!

    Forever Best Friends

  7. #7
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    $5000 a week was a butt-load of money for the 70's. It sounds as though Elvis kept them well paid.

    and they wanted more money as time went on from what I heard


    I heard Colonel Parker almost choked on his cigar when he found out

    Does anybody know how much he was paying the Sweets, Stamps and the Joe Guercio orchestra? I have never read or heard anything about it

  8. #8
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Supposedly Brian, there was at least one incident where a couple of the TCB Band members threatened to quit over money. During the early part of 1976, both James Burton and Ronnie Tutt quit the band due to wanting more money as well as to pursue other musical opportunities. But right before the March '76 tour kicked off, James returned to the band. Ronnie however did not, thus the reason why Larrie London was the drummer for those first few shows of 1976.

    As I said, this is the way it SUPPOSEDLY happened...if anyone has more or different information, I would definitely be interested in hearing it...

    TCB!
    Mike
    You are right Mike, I believe Tutt wanted to get back to work in the busy studios in LA. And James almost did quit but Elvis apparently paid him more so he would stay. I don't play the two really, they had been with Elvis for 6-7 years, and they had been touring the same cities continuously, of course they were going to want to look for something else to do after awhile.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  9. #9
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125
    I believe the disputes came about because more money was available elsewhere.If im not mistaken those guys could have gotten more lucrative deals working as studio muscians.

  10. #10
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    I think they were destined to all go into different things, touring only stays interesting after so long. Especially given Elvis' shows in the end were hardly something to get excited about for these guys that is, I'm not meaning for the fans....I'm sure they were as bored as Elvis was with the concerts by the end..
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  11. #11
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I think they were destined to all go into different things, touring only stays interesting after so long. Especially given Elvis' shows in the end were hardly something to get excited about for these guys that is, I'm not meaning for the fans....I'm sure they were as bored as Elvis was with the concerts by the end..


    Hi Mr. Burrows

    I have asked you a couple of times if it would be okay if I called you Brad

    I guess you want me to keep calling you Mr. Burrows?

    I agree with what you say about the TCB band

  12. #12
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    You are right Mike, I believe Tutt wanted to get back to work in the busy studios in LA. And James almost did quit but Elvis apparently paid him more so he would stay. I don't play the two really, they had been with Elvis for 6-7 years, and they had been touring the same cities continuously, of course they were going to want to look for something else to do after awhile.
    Thanks for the back-up buddy!!!

    I certainly don't blame the guys for wanting to look elsewhere either....especially when it became abundantly clear by the mid to late 70's that The Colonel was going to simply keep Elvis locked into the endless string of one-night stands and basically ride Elvis' coattails as long as he could (or as long as Elvis continued to live). I'm sure the band members probably wanted to expand their musical horizons, and I don't blame them in the least for looking around...

    But I do think that they all stayed with Elvis out of loyalty for him...pure and simple.

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  13. #13
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I believe the disputes came about because more money was available elsewhere.If im not mistaken those guys could have gotten more lucrative deals working as studio muscians.
    Absolutely jak....that's the main reason why The Jordanaires declined to perform with Elvis during his comeback in Las Vegas in 1969 or go out on the road with him....why should they go out on the road when they could stay at home and work in the recording studio and make just as much, if not more money, and not have to travel.

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  14. #14
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    $5000 a week was a butt-load of money for the 70's. It sounds as though Elvis kept them well paid.
    Plus don't forget all the fringe benefits that I am sure Elvis gave all of them throughout the years...jewelry, cars, money, etc. I'm sure that those guys and gals were paid MUCH MORE than just what their paychecks showed each week!!!

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  15. #15
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I heard Colonel Parker almost choked on his cigar when he found out
    Too bad he DIDN'T!!!

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  16. #16
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hi Mr. Burrows

    I have asked you a couple of times if it would be okay if I called you Brad

    I guess you want me to keep calling you Mr. Burrows?

  17. #17
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I believe that James Burton (starting in '69) was paid $5,000.00/week. Not sure if that ever changed...it presumably did because James almost left Elvis due to a salary dispute.
    That sounds like a bit much. That's a quarter million a year, unless it was only for the weeks he actually played. I read somewhere it was $1000 per week plus all expenses. Can't remember where I read that, so it is also probably inaccurate.

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    That sounds like a bit much. That's a quarter million a year, unless it was only for the weeks he actually played. I read somewhere it was $1000 per week plus all expenses. Can't remember where I read that, so it is also probably inaccurate.
    I don't think they were paid unless they were actually touring or in Vegas.
    The group "Voice" I think they were paid $100,000 a year to travel with him, write songs for his music companies, sing on stage or where ever Elvis wanted them to.

  19. #19
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I'm sure the band members probably wanted to expand their musical horizons, and I don't blame them in the least for looking around.
    TCB!
    Mike

    Its such ashame Elvis didn't make more of an effort to do the same with his career. The attempt to make his live show more fresh on August 19th 1974 wasn't nearly enough.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  20. #20
    Coming On Strong ricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ESSEX..UK
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I believe that James Burton (starting in '69) was paid $5,000.00/week. Not sure if that ever changed...it presumably did because James almost left Elvis due to a salary dispute.
    James is a personal friend of mine as are Glen D & Jerry,I have had many conversations with them about Elvis the Man & Elvis the performer,and I can assure you all that all disputes were with Col Parker and not Elvis to whom they were extemely Loyal hence no nasty (Buck chasing Books since his passing from them)..The James leaving incident Elvis knew nothing about until the day after, and as soon as Elvis found out he strongly told the Col not to interfere with his Musicians and after a 3.00am phone call James was back in the fold..sure they all earnt good money in the Studios but the greatest buzz of all for them was working with Elvis, And I have never heard one of them say one bad word against him, sure there were disagreements that happens in all Bands but they all had the utmost respect for their "BOSS MAN".James told me the power of Elvis's voice was phenomenal and he should know he stood nearest to him. And none of them have ever mentioned wages paid to them by Elvis,this again is media c**p and people who like to start rumours..
    Last edited by ricky; 08-06-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hey gang....
    By Dudcowboy_1 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
  2. 70's backing vocals/band fashion disasters
    By Trelane P in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 07:34 AM
  3. Hey gang...
    By Dudcowboy_1 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •