31 51.67%

10 16.67%

0 0%

19 31.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Gave Me A Mountain

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

You Gave Me A Mountain

By year which was the best for Elvis vocally on this song..my vote goes to the versions from 1972...then I would put 77 and 74.

I love the version done on Opening Night 1972...and the versions from April of 72..the desert storm and Dragonheart CD have 2 of my favorite versions from 74..and the CBS Special is heartfelt performance..just beautiful.
    Last edited by Unchained Melody; 07-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I love every version. But in the Aloha special there's a little moment i noticed and i kept watching repeatedly:
    After the line "Just tired of being my wife" he seems to forget the next line for a moment or just nervous and concentrates very much. There's a nervous look in his eyes. But i think it's very personal and intimate. Check that out!
    Poke a little sock salad...

Cadillac King
    Of the choices given I picked 1972. But my favorite version is from Aloha in '73. My favorite version in '72 is the one in EOT.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella View Post
    I love every version. But in the Aloha special there's a little moment i noticed and i kept watching repeatedly:
    After the line "Just tired of being my wife" he seems to forget the next line for a moment or just nervous and concentrates very much. There's a nervous look in his eyes. But i think it's very personal and intimate. Check that out!
    Haven't seen that ...well i've of course seen it but havent noticed that particular spot will check that out tonight i havent watched Aloha in awhile now so will have to go back to 73 tonight !

Mountain was always performed well except for march 21st 76 in cincy elvis blame for the loss of an eye lyrics...but for majoirty it was one song you could always count on for Elvis to give is all...perhaps because it held something personal to him even though he denied that on 9-2-74 cs in vegas.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

ive choosed for 1977, coz that was the best version he putted everything in it what he had

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny2523 View Post
    ive choosed for 1977, coz that was the best version he putted everything in it what he had
    Couldn't agree more..which is another reason as to why I love 1977 so much..i think he tried to put well he didnt have to try to put emotion into the music it came naturally...

What do you call that one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tGoVHbG4Qg

beside that moving version my choose AMERICAN TRILOGY FTD Las Vegas, February 15 MS 1972 version.

'77 - much more emotion

I don't know those versions from august - ocotober 1974 seemed filled with plenty of emotion and rage to my ears....

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I don't know those versions from august - ocotober 1974 seemed filled with plenty of emotion and rage to my ears....
    It was almost like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in 73-74, which I would have to contribute to the spike in the drug use, but this is only my guess. Regardless of his on stage behavior and what is known from all of those who were around him during the years of his separation from Priscilla and those years that followed, we really don't know what he was truly thinking and feeling about this entire situation. He didn't keep a diary nor did he write his autobiography.

I've read probably 10 books written on his life and there isn't a book that doesn't describe the radical changes that took place after the Aloha special. Yes, there were some very noticable changes in 1972, but there isn't a book that I haven't read that doesn't state that things went from bad to unbelievable aweful after the Aloha special.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    '77 - much more emotion
    I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by JerryNodak View Post
    Of the choices given I picked 1972. But my favorite version is from Aloha in '73. My favorite version in '72 is the one in EOT.
    I totally agree

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Good question

1) Elvis In Concert 1977 - Best blood and guts version hands down!
    2) America Trilogy FTD Feb 72 - great powerful version
    3) Elvis Close up (disk 4) April 1972 - Elvis and the band have it going on here!
    3) Dragonheart FTD 1974 - like the way Elvis talks through this version and then the passion.
    4) Tuscon FTD June 76 - Love the false start and talking to the woman
    5) Rockin' across Texas FTD July - 1976

I'm sorry I think the Aloha version sucks compared to the pathos of the 1976-77 versions

Like Col Jon Burrows has pointed out Elvis denied a personal link to the song, but I do wonder what was going through his mind while saying that..?

Anyway, all in all my favorite version could be the very last one (Indy) since his voice was in such a pristine condition and the emotion so intense - on the other hand, I rather like the slower pace of earlier versions.

In general Elvis could have kept down the pace to some songs, which would typically allow to improve overall precision, articulation and vocal projection.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 07-28-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: edit
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

TCB Mafia
    i don't love the song in a particular year, i just love it

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Good question

1) Elvis In Concert 1977 - Best blood and guts version hands down!
    2) America Trilogy FTD Feb 72 - great powerful version
    3) Elvis Close up (disk 4) April 1972 - Elvis and the band have it going on here!
    3) Dragonheart FTD 1974 - like the way Elvis talks through this version and then the passion.
    4) Tuscon FTD June 76 - Love the false start and talking to the woman
    5) Rockin' across Texas FTD July - 1976

I'm sorry I think the Aloha version sucks compared to the pathos of the 1976-77 versions

JJ those are all great choices...epsecially agree with you on the Dragon Heart FTD...the talking through the lyrics was much better than done on Desert Storm...and the CBS EIC version is splendid aswell..hard to top that one..

As

I love all the yrs..but to me 77 he was so mature, and really seemed (until the last when so very ill) to put emotion in it and his voice was incredible in many songs- he was more mature and less boyish..
    just an opinion..
    "I never felt poor. There were always shoes to wear and food to eat -- yet I knew there were things my parents did without just to make sure I was clothed and fed."

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyElvisgal View Post
    I love all the yrs..but to me 77 he was so mature, and really seemed (until the last when so very ill) to put emotion in it and his voice was incredible in many songs- he was more mature and less boyish..
    just an opinion..
    An opinion that I agree with His voice was so rich and fullfilling in '77

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Well it's probably no surprise here, but I've got to go with the CBS Special version as well!!! It's just such an amazing performance....words can't really describe it every time I listen to him sing it...

[yt]hdU_utILID0&hl[/yt]

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Well J.J....I don't know if I would use the word "sucks" to describe the ALOHA version, but I definitely agree that the ALOHA version is VERY overrated....he doesn't put nearly the emotion into it that he does during just about any other peformance of the song that I have heard!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast