View Poll Results: which has been worse on Elvis' legacy... EIC or impersonators

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elvis In Concert

15 11.63%
  • Impersonators

85 65.89%
  • neither

29 22.48%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: which has been worse on Elvis' legacy... EIC or impersonators

I voted for the imperonators. It's not that I don't like them all, but some of them are just some fat losers that couldn't find anything better to do. They make a few silly moves and they think they are just like Elvis. I find that very disrespectful and god knows what a person who's not a fan will think of Elvis when he/she sees one of these guys performing.
    I don't think that EIC has been bad on his legacy. Although he looked fat and bloated it was still... him and people should accept him as he was. That was Elvis in the last few years of his life. Even though it is sad to watch, It was still good to see Elvis doing what he wanted to. Plus, his voice sounded better than ever, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I say because people find the destruction Elvis went though fascinating and are drawn to it....
    Good point. A lot of people want to read or hear about negative..

In regards to ETA, I dont think all are bad, but it's the bad ones' that outnumber the decent ones' who pay tribute to Elvis out of respect...

Why aren't there more of them that aren't overweight or looking tacky?

franny

I wanted to vote EIC, but i picked the Impersonators because i've seen a coulpe in my time and one of them was very good. For the most part they embarrass me. They go overboard trying to be Elvis. I was 12 when i first saw Elvis in concert in october of "77,almost two months after Elvis died. And yes he looked far different than 73 Aloha show. It's like a bad parody of the Elvis doing Elvis. He did have some good moments when he sang :That;s All Right Mama, and How great though art. The impersonators are ruining his image. We already have to defend Elvis because he was on the john and died.I prefer the real Elvis not some wannabe thinking he is Elvis.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    That's what the fans saw but not what the public saw. I think EIC was the lasting picture of Elvis in the public's eye.
    I can see where you are coming from, but the public of my generation (50's) knew of his great gift and there were a lot of us, he changed mine and a lot of other peoples lives from then until 1972, so it will only be the generation who were born after 1977 who will make that sort of public judgement because they constantly have that image shoved under their nose's, outside of Elvis websites how many Photographs do you see of him in the 50' or 60's image?? "You can fool the Public some of the time but not all of it!" I think his power was so strong that even if he had come "Onstage dressed as Mickey Mouse" it would not have mattered, most people especially here in the UK really thought he had middle age spread..:

yep you are right, sorry night shift
    and elvis voice was always great, he was a diamant, and become a briljant
    his voice was geting better by the years
    elvis was sick, afcourse he needed rest, but nobody new he shall die in 6 weeks, and for the record, i saw a picture august 14 and he looked oke ( sorry bad english)
    but i did't read your message very wel, thats because i had to work, please forgive me
    and i am treuly a elvis fan , for 100% in every thing he does

p.s this was hatice and not ferry, i am his wife

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Rocknroll, some of us may give Elvis too much leeway and others lay too much on him....so it's a stalemate, always has been, always will be.

Diane
    I'm talking stictly Elvis fans.

I agree, non fans and critics lay too much on him. One thing they latch onto, and rightfully so, is the "Elvis worship".

There is a middle ground somewhere and I was talking about the fans. Some still think he walked on water and others dwell on his failings.

Diane

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Its difficult to decide which is more damaging IMO, the real thing in June 1977 is far more sad to see, where as seeing some terrible tribute artist, well its not Elvis is it... However the public in general cant separate the fact from the fiction

I have seen several tribute artists and to be honest it isn't my thing although I understand the demand for a good tribute artist. The problem with have with many tribute artists today is that they imitate "tribute artists", so what we have is some grotesque Image of an overweight bespectacled crooner with exaggerated mannerisms that quite frankly lack any of the charisma which made Elvis the multinational star he became.

That said the good tribute artists who manage to pull off a half decent act are a doorway to the original. Unfortunately the bad acts are almost certainly condemning Elvis to a eternity of mediocrity and figure of fun.

I believe it is possible to be a tribute artist in a two piece suit and get across to that audience the essence of who Elvis was. To many tribute artists pin their whole act on a Jumpsuit and aviator glasses, Elvis was much more than this props.

goodelvisgirl "Elvis in Concert" i have a copy of it on DVD. I bought it of the Internet years ago. One of the Concerts i believe it;s in Rapid City..it has a time code at the bottom. But the Omaha concert doesn't. In one scene a little indian "monic brave (spell check)gives Elvis a medalian of life before the concert. It's ironic that i was meant to give Elvis good health and a long life. But he died less than two months later.

I don't like impersonators... especially if they do a bad version of what people call "fat Elvis". And the last concert has nothing wrong from where I see. My vote went for "neither one".
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    If I'm correct in my interpretation of what you are saying, you think Elvis had his best voice in 1977? He should have been in a hospital, not on stage. His voice was the thinnest and weakest of his life during that period.
    No, only during some parts (ie the endless repeats of his greatest hits etc).

Overall, the 1976-77 Elvis voice was the strongest and most powerful of his career.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    goodelvisgirl "Elvis in Concert" i have a copy of it on DVD. I bought it of the Internet years ago. One of the Concerts i believe it;s in Rapid City..it has a time code at the bottom. But the Omaha concert doesn't. In one scene a little indian "monic brave (spell check)gives Elvis a medalian of life before the concert. It's ironic that i was meant to give Elvis good health and a long life. But he died less than two months later.
    yes its true what they say the lord does move in mysterious ways looking at elvis performing you knew he was n bad shape but you never thought that weeks later he would be gone and whats fantastic he still sang with everything he had right to the end he was a entertainer

I think that most impersonators are bad for elvis' legacy. And I could be wrong, but I think there should be some sort of college and or requirements for people who want to be impersonators. Maybe epe could own the colleges? And just like when you enter the military you would have to meet a certain weight standard to be a certain impersonator. The weight standard being the right weight for the right era 50's-70's. Nobody wants to see a 50's era Elvis weighing 300lbs!lol
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Impersonators, no question.

Generally speaking, the public doesn't even know what EIC was, although they may recall seeing a few clips elsewhere.

But impersonators, like a virulent cancer, just keep spreading and getting worse. People see them, think of Elvis and remember the Fat Elvis (as most impersonators go the hamburger route).

Impersonators (and weirdly-dressed fans) also perpetuate the stereotypical Elvis fans too.

I hate them with a passion unbridled. If I could, I'd make all impersonators, tribute artists and tribute bands illegal on punishment of death.

Get up on stage and sing Elvis, by all means, but doing it in a jumpsuit (no matter how authentic it may be) is revolting.
    Also another thing which irks me about the bulk of the impersonators is they sound so little like Elvis!
    Then the people who are listening who seldom hear him much think-so thats what Elvis sounded like?-Whats the big deal?

I know what EIC is Elvis in Concert. But i'm ignorant what is ETA?

Elvis Tribute Artists

Diane

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    No, only during some parts (ie the endless repeats of his greatest hits etc).

Overall, the 1976-77 Elvis voice was the strongest and most powerful of his career.
    I am definitely in disagreement with you here. An objective view would say differently.

International Level
    ph EPE ever sence they deside to do EPE Contest and shows they do watch these guys very close eye. I, and along with lucky few on here have been reconized by EPE. Because some of the show I did this year like with Kelly Pickler, and this show in Memphis I had to get what I call there "blessing" to do all this.

Trust me EPE is watching very closely now since 2006.

Love to all,
    Tim Dudley
    Last edited by Dudcowboy_1; 07-21-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    I am definitely in disagreement with you here. An objective view would say differently.
    When did Getlo become "non" objective??