81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 55.56%
  • No

36 44.44%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' Mother

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    We seem to have gravitated to the Elvis drugs scenario rather than the original question!

Looking at the results in the poll (Is Elvis' Loss Of Mother Fundamental To His Death, 37 yes - 26 No) it suggests the fact that Elvis died because he couldn't get over the death of his mother or something other.... Am I getting this wrong?

Can someone please explain why the majority of people feel this way because I just don't understand that reasoning??!!
    It is my belief that, although the death of Gladys was his biggest and not doubt deepest lost, he did not die because he couldn't get over her death. He died simply of his own excess and vices - poor diet, drugs, lifestyle brought on by his career.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    All I suggested is that Elvis was much smarter than many give him credit. He didn't take these drugs without the realization that he was doing serious damage to his personal and professional life. He was quite aware of the damage he was doing to himself and his body, his family and career.
    Again....I have to assume you have never dealt with a family member with a serious prescription drug addiction? Being smart or having a high IQ has nothing to do with an addiction, nothing!! An addict has no idea what they are doing to themselves, and they only learn what they have done after months of counseling coupled with re-hab. You make it sound as though only dumb people can be addicts and clueless to the damage they are doing. My mother-n-law was a smart woman, however, she didn't get up every day and take all of her pills and say "I am well aware of what this is doing to my family, my personal life and my health." The drugs led to a sedentary lifestyle which ultimately led to an early death!!!
    Last edited by utmom2008; 07-25-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    It is my belief that, although the death of Gladys was his biggest and not doubt deepest lost, he did not die because he couldn't get over her death. He died simply of his own excess and vices - poor diet, drugs, lifestyle brought on by his career.
    Agreed, but there seems to be a lot of people who think this was the case, I wonder why they see him weakened by this event I blame the Kurt Russell film which depicted Elvis as talking to his brother Jessie....

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Again....I have to assume you have never dealt with a family member with a serious prescription drug addiction? Being smart or having a high IQ has nothing to do with an addiction, nothing!! An addict has no idea what they are doing to themselves, and they only learn what they have done after months of counseling coupled with re-hab. You make it sound as though only dumb people can be addicts and clueless to the damage they are doing. My mother-n-law was a smart woman, however, she didn't get up every day and take all of her pills and say "I am well aware of what this is doing to my family, my personal life and my health." The drugs led to a sedentary lifestyle which ultimately led to an early death!!!
    I agree drug dependency has little to do with IQ, however I believe you can be aware of you addictions without acknowledging your condition. Alcoholism and smoking are two other drugs that have a similar effect, you know that they can kill you however it is difficult to take that first step and then remain on the wagon. You know the effects but enjoy the feeling those drugs give you.

Agreed, but there seems to be a lot of people who think this was the case, I wonder why they see him weakened by this event I blame the Kurt Russell film which depicted Elvis as talking to his brother Jessie....

I agree drug dependency has little to do with IQ, however I believe you can be aware of you addictions without acknowledging your condition. Alcoholism and smoking are two other drugs that have a similar effect, you know that they can kill you however it is difficult to take that first step and then remain on the wagon. You know the effects but enjoy the feeling those drugs give you.
    Drinking and smoking - I can quit anytime I want to!!!!!!

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    Drinking and smoking - I can quit anytime I want to!!!!!!
    I've quit the smoking now for 18 month's but has lead to a steady increase in the Alcohol

I agree with Getlo on this one. It's a part of life, a natural part that ultimately shapes us as we grow older. After I became a parent I really understood the natural course that should happen. Losing a parent is devastating, but parents that have to bury a child is unthinkable.
    Until I married and later had a son, my father and Elvis were the two men that I loved most in the world. They have both been gone a long long time, and I'm sure in some way that has shaped who I am today.
    Hey Rosanne, it really touched me what you wrote here, you're really honest and you said it beautifully. I didn't know your mother-in-law was an addict. Sorry to read this, I'm sure it wasn't easy for you and your husband. And you're right, my father was an alcoholic and he never admitted this! He never was aware of his own addiction and he never knew how sick he was and what alcohol did to him! It doesn't mean he was not a smart man, he was an amazing man, he was a kind of jack-of-all-trades beside his own work. Betti

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Roustabouts
    i voted yes

simply because ive always said if gladys hadnt died elvis would still be around and then i read this post

I've quit the smoking now for 18 month's but has lead to a steady increase in the Alcohol

Ohhhhh.....so that explains some of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    Hey Rosanne, it really touched me what you wrote here, you're really honest and you said it beautifully. I didn't know your mother-in-law was an addict. Sorry to read this, I'm sure it wasn't easy for you and your husband. And you're right, my father was an alcoholic and he never admitted this! He never was aware of his own addiction and he never knew how sick he was and what alcohol did to him! It doesn't mean he was not a smart man, he was an amazing man, he was a kind of jack-of-all-trades beside his own work. Betti
    Thank you Betti, you always have the kindest words. I know you understand my point because you have been down the same road....and your father was gone long before his time due to his addictions. It's not easy to watch a loved with a terrible addiction deny that anything is wrong(the Dr. kept prescribing more) and that the drugs have completely changed their lifestyle and their health. Quite the contrary...since a Dr. prescribed them, then they must certainly need them.

[/b]

Ohhhhh.....so that explains some of your posts.
    It explains most of them

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Elvis was never completely free of drugs from the moment he took them in the army. So, he got clean (well, relatively straight anyway) for Aloha ... He was addicted to the stuff, plain and simple. No two ways about it.

He denied it, and you can continue to deny it. Doesn't change the fact that it is true.

Partially, yes. But it was Elvis' choice to be a music star, actor etc.
    Agreed Getlo...it was definitley what he wanted...just in the end of his life, I don't think its what he expected would happen to him the way it all went down.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

The lifestyle definitley brought his life to an early end..The man had literally run out of life, and its apparent that he just didn't enjoy living anymore and thats sad..I've heard those say that elvis said several times in the last years he would rather be unconcious than miserable...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by english-elvis-fan View Post
    i voted yes

simply because ive always said if gladys hadnt died elvis would still be around and then i read this post
    Hi, Your comment and others of a similar vein intrigue me, I've asked on numerous occasions for people to give more information as to why they feel this way with little success. Please can you elaborate on your comments so I can fully understand your position.

Hi, Your comment and others of a similar vein intrigue me, I've asked on numerous occasions for people to give more information as to why they feel this way with little success. Please can you elaborate on your comments so I can fully understand your position.
    Ok on that comment I would say that is because Gladys was one person Elvis would always listen to and I think she was one of those people who told Elvis thats the way it is...and was not a yes person like all those he had surrounded by him in the end and throughout his life. Maybe Gladys would have been the person to give him that kick in the butt son get yourself together or what have you...

Betti, your description of your dad could be mine as well.

Lucky you Matt, I'm still puffing. Maybe I should take up drinking so I wouldn't miss the smoking.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

Lucky you Matt, I'm still puffing. Maybe I should take up drinking so I wouldn't miss the smoking.

Diane
    Their both bad for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

Diane
    Another "fellow" puffer!

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Im with you on this one ehollier. I think he was well aware of what he was doing to himself, at least in the last years of his life and that he simply denied it to those around him because admitting it meant he had to do something about it. Maybe he felt he wasnt able of cleaning his act.
    I think in order to totally ever get off of drugs he did not need (and I do believe there were things he needed for medical reasons-and I know many think he needed nothing) I think the sleep problem he had since Tupelo would have had to somehow been explored and conquered. Since he would always need some type of sleeping medication- if it was never cured.
    I think some therapy would have been needed to find out what caused this lifelong problem. If he did not need the downers at night that would have been a step toward getting off the stimulants to get him going each day.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think in order to totally ever get off of drugs he did not need (and I do believe there were things he needed for medical reasons-and I know many think he needed nothing) I think the sleep problem he had since Tupelo would have had to somehow been explored and conquered. Since he would always need some type of sleeping medication- if it was never cured.
    I think some therapy would have been needed to find out what caused this lifelong problem. If he did not need the downers at night that would have been a step toward getting off the stimulants to get him going each day.
    In one book that I read, it was stated that when he went into the hospital the first time in 1973 and the doctors treated him and he went through detox, he was down to 1 very mild sleeping pill at night, but.....I guess once he got home..........
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

He wasn't in long enough and didn't get the proper treatment. An addict needs counseling as well as a detox program or he will go right back to it nine times out of ten.

Diane