81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 55.56%
  • No

36 44.44%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' Mother

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    I still find Elvis' happiest days was after she died..with the birth of Lisa, coming back in '69 on stage, the Aloha performance etc.
    Elvis may have been happy while he was actually on the stage in Hawaii, but I don't see how you could think the days leading up to the concert were anywhere close to the happiest days for him. Take a look at the AFH press conference's from September and November of '72, and then tell me that's a happy man. The same happy man that was stoned out of his mind the day after AFH. He was right in the middle of a divorce and the drugs were flowing. Not a happy time at all I suspect.

like in some movies like Kurt Russels Elvis 1979 film where Elvis would talk to his mom and twin brother saying he would be seeing them soon, and how he often said he wouldn't make it long past 40....
    How do we actually know that Elvis sat around talking to his twin brother?? I always thought that was highly suspect.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Well I guess should have said during the Aloha concert...my apologies.

I still don't know why people think he was stoned out of his mind during that interview..i just never thought he was when I seen it...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I still don't know why people think he was stoned out of his mind during that interview..i just never thought he was when I seen it...
    Let's not get this thread off track with this discussion. It's been done to death elsewhere.

As for the Aloha press conferences ... he was absolutely flying, especially during the November one (black jacket). So sad to see.

But I suppose had Gladys not died when she did, she would have been able to kick his arse when it was most sorely needed. And it was needed a lot later on!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I voted no. I agree, I don't think the death of his mother had anything to do with his own death. I think he took his mother's death very hard but he did get through it. You never stop missing a loved one but time does help.

Diane
    I agree, Diane. I also voted no.

I think Elvis learned to deal with it as best he could at the time, as anyone does, when they lose a parent...

I think time helped and he moved on with his life, but I wouldn't say her death affected his "whole" life..

franny

I do think that Gladys kept Elvis pretty well "grounded" after he hit the big-time.She was always there for him.I know that she couldn't handle all of Elvis' fame and she feared that she was losing her one and only son to the pressures of show bussiness and saw less and less of him,how much can a mother take?
    The One and Only King of Rock'n'Roll.

Coming On Strong
    As for the Aloha press conferences ... he was absolutely flying, especially during the November one (black jacket). So sad to see.

Is the press conference on the Aloha dvds? I have it, but do not recall seeing him in an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Rain View Post

Is the press conference on the Aloha dvds? I have it, but do not recall seeing him in an interview.
    No it's not on the Aloha dvdset.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    But I suppose had Gladys not died when she did, she would have been able to kick his arse when it was most sorely needed. And it was needed a lot later on!
    You are right Getlo. I think if anyone had any chance whatsoever at getting Elvis to change his ways it would've or could've been Gladys.

This is the one from 09/72....

[YT]D5gCxCcoD48[/YT]

This is 11/72...

[YT]OT3q7gclLz8[/YT]

Thank you for posting that Rosanne!!

Coming On Strong
    Thank you for posting the youtube videos. Presently my computer won't let me view youtube. Looking at the front picture from 9/72 and 11/72, he appears to have "aged" so much. Thank you again.

I don't know if Gladys could have got him off the meds. Didn't Gladys have her own issues with uppers? Or a stimlulant used for weight loss?

I don't think Gladys death 18 years earlier resulted in Elvis death in 1977
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    I don't know if Gladys could have got him off the meds. Didn't Gladys have her own issues with uppers? Or a stimlulant used for weight loss?

I've heard she was a heavy drinker before her death.

Loving elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post

i remember reading that in revelations from the mm that elvis took gladys pills and she didn't know he took them. Not sure what they were, but one was dirt pills. Yes she was a drinker.

Cadillac King
    I don't think Gladys was as strong as everyone thinks she was. He might have listened to her, but eventually he would become his own man as all men do. It's not like she died when he was a child, he was in the army. He was an adult. There are many drug addicts in this world with Mothers that beg, plead and kick their asses, but continue to do the same thing. There is no guarantee things would have been any different.

I think Elvis did as he pleased when Gladys was alive anyway so I donīt know if it would have made any difference, but one thing is for sure, she would have told him like it is.

I agree Donut, she could have given him a good case of the "guilts" though and maybe held him back a little.

Diane

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I certainly believe that Gladys despite her own Issues would have been one of the only people In Elvis' life who could have told Elvis the truth without fear of losing her job