Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the guys only

A question for the guys only

I think everyone knows what attacks us ladies to Elvis, but I am wondering what it is about Elvis that attracts the guys. Is it the talent, looks, attitude, humor, mystery, charisma??? Why are men such great fans? What is it about Elvis Presley that brings you here each day to discuss the hot-point issues of his life?
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Whe he was at his peak (especially in 1968-70), he epitomised cool.

Now, at the risk of offending any women here, "cool" is something that only a male can understand (when talking about a cool guy. Cool women are another story). Just as women have a bond of sensitivity (sisterhood, whatever you call it) which men cannot fully grasp, "cool" is an exclusively male construct.

There is nothing sexual in it (unlike any woman's attraction to Elvis, or any other cool guy), and it is almost primal with us.

On some level, we (almost) wished we were him - when he was at his best of course, not when he was a blithering mess.

On another level, we wish we could hang out with him, or try to capture a bit of Elvisness in our own approach to women and life in general.
    Last edited by Getlo; 07-19-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    That sums it up quite well. I also have no qualms about saying the guy was stunningly attractive. That isn't what does it for us but part of his look translates into his aforementioned coolness which is where the appreciation comes in.

To be him...yeah, what would that be like? Capturing some of his Elvisness is something all sane men should strive for, yes indeed. Being an associate of his would have been nice...I think a lot of us think we would have gotten along well with him and could have been a good friend. That definitely would have been alright.

It's funny...ultimately it's about 'Elvis the performer' but for me anyway it's impossible to not care about everything else. It's just sort of a natural progression (seems to me anyway) to want to become so familiar with all aspects and minute details of his life. I mean, if you were only interested in the music, but very much so, at some point in the learning process you are going to want to find out what was shaping these performances -- what his mindset and condition were like at the time, because all that is inextricably tied to the music.

Why did he sound that way at that time? What was behind his choice of material?

So you explore those things a bit and you realize that this was a most interesting, rich and unique life that this guy lived. It was great and it was sad; it was basically every superlative you can think of with some lows that matched the highs. But ultimately his is an amazing, inspiring story and one that...yeah, defines coolness.

So is it more the music or the man? It can't help but be both but if I had to pick one...

...There is just something magical about that voice. The things he could do with it are incredible but it isn't just a matter of hitting this note or that. It is just the perfect male voice. Not technically perfect maybe but the pitch and timbre, whatever -- something about it is just right. Not only is it simply a great sound / pleasing to the ears; thanks to the feeling he injected into his work it also makes you feel good / is pleasing to the soul.

But the music would not have been what it was if he hadn't been him.

It's everything.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

SleepyJack
    I guess the "cool" part,as explained by Getlo, is definitely a part of the attraction...he was just so impressive....and guys at one time or another did have the thought of being him or being like him.For me though the main attraction to Elvis was that I felt that I knew him...I still feel that way.

What attracks me to Elvis? Alot of things. Yes, he was a handsome man (i'm secure in my Manhood) but that's not it. His music, and the fact he was so goodhearted,respected his elders. And the biggest reason? The fact that he came from poverty and with just his talent and a guitar he became the biggest star the world has ever seen. And it hasn't subsided in over 50 years.

[QUOTE=Getlo;228445]Whe he was at his peak (especially in 1968-70), he epitomised cool.

Now, at the risk of offending any women here, "cool" is something that only a male can understand (when talking about a ccol guy. Cool women are another story). Just as women have a bond of sensitivity (sisterhood, whatever you call it) which men cannot fully grasp, "cool" is an exclusively male construct.

There is nothing sexual in it (unlike any woman's attraction to Elvis, or any other cool guy), and it is almost primal with us.

On some level, we (almost) wished we were him - when he was at his best of course, not when he was a blithering mess.

On another level, we wish we could hang out with him, or try to capture a bit of Elvisness in our own approach to women and life in general.[/
    QUOTE]

Getlo-total agreement. I wanted to somehow find a way to be him. Cool is the word. I actually at one time thought of running away to Memphis as a kid to try and meet him-be one of the guys.

International Level WHITETIGERMAN's Avatar
    It was just everything about him.....he had it all. To me he was just the total package.
    He can never be replaced.I really love seeing him getting down and getting with it.
    He was not called The King Of Rock 'N' Roll for nothing.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    That sums it up quite well. I also have no qualms about saying the guy was stunningly attractive. That isn't what does it for us but part of his look translates into his aforementioned coolness which is where the appreciation comes in.

To be him...yeah, what would that be like? Capturing some of his Elvisness is something all sane men should strive for, yes indeed. Being an associate of his would have been nice...I think a lot of us think we would have gotten along well with him and could have been a good friend. That definitely would have been alright.

It's funny...ultimately it's about 'Elvis the performer' but for me anyway it's impossible to not care about everything else. It's just sort of a natural progression (seems to me anyway) to want to become so familiar with all aspects and minute details of his life. I mean, if you were only interested in the music, but very much so, at some point in the learning process you are going to want to find out what was shaping these performances -- what his mindset and condition were like at the time, because all that is inextricably tied to the music.

Why did he sound that way at that time? What was behind his choice of material?

So you explore those things a bit and you realize that this was a most interesting, rich and unique life that this guy lived. It was great and it was sad; it was basically every superlative you can think of with some lows that matched the highs. But ultimately his is an amazing, inspiring story and one that...yeah, defines coolness.

So is it more the music or the man? It can't help but be both but if I had to pick one...

...There is just something magical about that voice. The things he could do with it are incredible but it isn't just a matter of hitting this note or that. It is just the perfect male voice. Not technically perfect maybe but the pitch and timbre, whatever -- something about it is just right. Not only is it simply a great sound / pleasing to the ears; thanks to the feeling he injected into his work it also makes you feel good / is pleasing to the soul.

But the music would not have been what it was if he hadn't been him.

It's everything.
    MY ANSWER?? SEE ABOVE!!!

Well said, as always, buddy!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Man, when I was a kid I wished I was Elvis because he was just so cool. Today at age 33, I still wish I was Elvis because he was so cool. I still think he's the best there ever was, is and so far best as I can tell...ever will be.
    "I always liked that hillbilly."

-Waymore

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    What made me relate to Elvis was him being so cool. He had all the women, the money, fame, fortune, and most of all talent. I wish I was Elvis. I mean Elvis was so **** cool in TTWII. When I first saw that I was like wow. I couldnt believe that this guy that was so famous was just a down to earth dude. If I could be Elvis I would want to be him from 68-73 (Aloha) those were his years and to be that, that would be awesome. But if I was Elvis I would have done one thing different. Not be cooped up in Graceland. I would have went to clubs in NY, LA and big cities like that.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Thanks to all of you guys for those answers! That's something that has been interesting to me since the first time I was in Las Vegas. You would see lots of couples, happy couples, yet it was obvious that it was the husband not the wife who was the "overboard" fan. I saw alot of this in April while in Memphis. My parents both liked Elvis, but I was the reason for the Las Vegas trips. After that first trip though they would tell people that once you saw him, you would be "hooked" after the first song. Or, as my Mom would always say....."if you weren't then you needed your head examined."

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Getlo-total agreement. I wanted to somehow find a way to be him. Cool is the word. I actually at one time thought of running away to Memphis as a kid to try and meet him-be one of the guys.
    You could have gotten an even better insight to Scatter Ken, think how good that book could have been, if you had only been there in person.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    You could have gotten an even better insight to Scatter Ken, think how good that book could have been, if you had only been there in person.
    At that time in my life-I was Scatter so perhaps we could have roomed.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Great Question. Wow where to begin. Cool is a good place, man this guy was just soooooo cool, the clothes, the looks, the charisma. The music is the first thing for me, this guy could have sung the back of a cereal box and sounded great.

IMO Elvis had four distinct periods, 1950s, 1960s films, 68 comeback, 1970s superstar. each of these periods has a Image that is instantly recognisable to almost 6 decades worth of fans.

1956-57 Raw and unrelenting, this man is like no other.

From 1969-1973 There isn't anyone that could touch Elvis in terms of fame, the magnitude of the Image was at its pinnacle. he may not have been at his peak in 1973 in terms of music but the Image as a superstar cannot be matched by anyone in the same era.

Most of use guys live average normal lives, any man who hasn't at least daydreamed of being famous is a liar, IMO if you want to Imagine being a star there is only one guy who topped everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    At that time in my life-I was Scatter so perhaps we could have roomed.
    Living in a beautiful house, free booze and beautiful women.....you could have done worse.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Living in a beautiful house, free booze and beautiful women.....you could have done worse.
    FREE BOOZE? WHERE?
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by waymore44 View Post
    Man, when I was a kid I wished I was Elvis because he was just so cool. Today at age 33, I still wish I was Elvis because he was so cool. I still think he's the best there ever was, is and so far best as I can tell...ever will be.
    I'm with Waymore44 on the fact i wish i was Elvis. He had a beautifull voice, perfect hair, perfect features, and he got all the ladies (for the most part) he was wealthy. But as i look back on it..Elvis died at 42, i'm 43. His mother died when he was 23, i still have my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    But as i look back on it..Elvis died at 42, i'm 43. His mother died when he was 23, i still have my mother.
    There ARE things to be thankful for every day.

Getlo sums up the coolness spot on in his post. I suppose every male fan would love to have been Elvis at some time in one's life or some point in Elvis' career. Elvis,I believe, put the X in X factor.

Like Elvis said in his Jaycees speech 'In the comic books he wanted to be the Superhero'.

I would've loved to have had that look,that walk,that smile,that charisma, that style. I could go on for ever. Most of all I would have loved to have been able to stand in front of a baying audience and with all those ingredients mixed together belt out songs with the most important ingredient of all that voice
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    Whe he was at his peak (especially in 1968-70), he epitomised cool.

Now, at the risk of offending any women here, "cool" is something that only a male can understand (when talking about a ccol guy. Cool women are another story). Just as women have a bond of sensitivity (sisterhood, whatever you call it) which men cannot fully grasp, "cool" is an exclusively male construct.

On another level, we wish we could hang out with him, or try to capture a bit of Elvisness in our own approach to women and life in general.
    Sums it off perfectly for me !! well said...
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast