Thread: One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation

One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation

Elvis attends a day of functions culminating in an evening awards banquet. He and nine others accept the honor of being named "One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation" by the United States Junior Chamber of Commerce. He is nervous about his acceptance speech. He is touched, excited and deeply proud.

This national honor has been given each year since the late 1930's and recognizes young men who have made great achievements in their field of endeavor, illustrating the opportunities available in the free enterprise system. It also applauds humanitarianism and community service. Scientists, inventors, performers, filmmakers, politicians bound for the Presidency, and men of greatness in all fields, have been selected for this award over the years.

For Elvis, a man who had grown up poor, and, in his early career had known the sting of ridicule from the Establishment, who, through the years had known criticism of his work, this is one of his proudest moments. It is a sign that he has achieved acceptance, recognition, and respect for his work and for the kind of person he is.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

I have to say the first time I saw the footage of Elvis accepting the award I clapped my hands like if I was there because I felt so proud of him. Not a nice sight I know but thatīs what I did.

The fact that he decided to go IMO shows what it meant to him to get this award. In 1956-he was called,
    "The Devil-pied piping the young of America to hell"-
    he must have felt so good to get this.

You can bet on it and it was high time too that he got the right kind of recognition.

Diane

yup good to see elvis getting the recognition for all his hard work he changed music and culture so he deserved that award

Loving elvis
    Elvis must of been so proud that day. I would of loved to been there.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Had to make Elvis feel like he was the king of the world at that point and time in history...such an honor for our man!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I loved the footage of him getting the award. I felt so proud, too. He certainly came along way from the truckdriver days.
    In 68 comeback Sitdown, he's asked about the Florida incident and he hangs his head and tells the story, shaking his head saying 'they thought I was -- something. . ." I felt that incident still hurt him to some degree even then.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    I felt that incident still hurt him to some degree even then.
    I'm sure it did to some extent but at the same time i'm sure he was getting a kick out of it seeing as he was only dancing..
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977