Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elvis blues

TCB Mafia
    what about Bobby Rush I have heard from a friend of mine that he was or still is an excellent soul blues singer. I was wondering to go along with my idea of a soul blues album recorded at stax what soul blues songs from Bobby Rush would you have wanted Elvis to record?

Welll Bobby Rush went to fame years after Elvis dead, so there is no much chances that Elvis might had heard of him, although who knows. But going into fantasy thoughts, some of the latest Rush albums from the '90's and the 00's might give us a probable idea of how Elvis might sound if he, at his 60's or 70's, would give the Memphis sound another try. YEah!

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Welll Bobby Rush went to fame years after Elvis dead, so there is no much chances that Elvis might had heard of him, although who knows. But going into fantasy thoughts, some of the latest Rush albums from the '90's and the 00's might give us a probable idea of how Elvis might sound if he, at his 60's or 70's, would give the Memphis sound another try. YEah!
    Hi Raised on Rock
    Are you sure I heard an interiew with Bobby Rush here recently and he talked of performing in the 60's an 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Hi Raised on Rock
    Are you sure I heard an interiew with Bobby Rush here recently and he talked of performing in the 60's an 70's.
    He performed since the 50's, what I meant is that he really reamained unknown to the mainstream public until the late 70's, even among the blues fans he was pretty much unknown until his first album came out I belive in 1978, he never recieved the critical aclaim neither enjoyed the fame and fortune of people like Muddy Watters, or Freddy King, or B.B. or Hooker.

If Elvis knew of him or not is really hard to tell, I mean he was familiar with some real obscure blues artists, but at the same time ignored who Eric Clapton was so... He could have knew of Bobby Rush who knows.

By the way this might be interesting for you and some other fans, this is just a rumor not a fact, but anyway, acording to the book: Elvis from A to Z, Presley wanted to get in touch with Mr. Arthur Crudup, Mr. Crudup was having a hard time economically so Elvis wanted to finance a record for him, unfortunately Arthur Crudup died before Elvis could even had reached him.

There is another rumor of Elvis, Scotty and Bill once Jamming with Lowell Fulsom somewhere in '55, it is not likely to be true anyhow, my source, some people at TCB World post it in another blues related thread a year ago or so.

Anyone has any info about it?
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 07-13-2008 at 06:05 PM.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    He performed since the 50's, what I meant is that he really reamained unknown to the mainstream public until the late 70's, even among the blues fans he was pretty much unknown until his first album came out I belive in 1978. If Elvis knew of him or not is really hard to tell, I mean he was familiar with some real obscure blues artists, but at the same time ignored who Eric Clapton was so... He could have knew of Bobby Rush who knows.

By the way this might be interesting for you and some other fans, this is just a rumor not a fact, but anyway, acording to the book: Elvis from A to Z, Presley wanted to get in touch with Mr. Arthur Crudup, Mr. Crudup was having a hard time economically so Elvis wanted to finance a record for him, unfortunately Arthur Crudup died before Elvis could even had reached him.

There is another rumor of Elvis, Scotty and Bill once Jamming with Lowell Fulsom somewhere in '55, it is not likely to be true anyhow, my source, some people at TCB World post it in another blues related thread a year ago or so.

Marty Lacker who answers fan questions at a website was just recently asked the Arthur Crudup question by a fan he responded by saying that he didn't recall Elvis doing that he went on to say it was just untrue.

The Lowell Fulson question I don't know it could be true I will look and see if I can find anything for you.
    btw I have a Elvis gospel album thread I would like you to take a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The Lowell Fulson question I don't know it could be true I will look and see if I can find anything for you.
    btw I have a Elvis gospel album thread I would like you to take a look at.
    Thanks, Im already thinking for some gospel tunes, just give me some time, good threads.

I believe that it is such a tragedy that Elvis did not record more blues in the 60's and 70's. He had the voice and the rhythem, and was steeped in R & B as a child. What ashame he went to a more "pop" sound after the army. He could have recorded Otis Redding, Bill Whithers, Barry White, Al Green, B. B. King, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Fats Domino and done such an incredible job not only singing these songs, but also making them his own as he was so apt to do.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Don't forget that he recorded Ray Charles, too.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

University of Memphis

Otis Redding -- These Arms of Mine.........

University of Memphis

If i remember well, Peter Guralnick tells the story about Scotty and Elvis meeting Lowell Fulsom. It must be in "Last train to Memphis".Anyway, iŽll chekit out.
    "Until we meet again, God bless you and Adios."

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

It would've been cool to hear him sing "Blues Man" by Hank Williams J.R.. One line goes..So i started drinking.took things that messed up my thinking..i was sure sinking when you came along.

TCB Mafia
    In my original post where I listed all the blues songs I thought it would be good for Elvis to do I forgot Albert King's ''Born under a bad sign''

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    He certainly could sing that blues type of music when he wanted to. Even in the end...just play fort baxters moody blue and other great performances cd...reconsider baby...that's all you need.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

We all know that Elvis was influenced by the blues type of music and I really would have enjoyed listening to some more blues songs sung by him. But I appreciate his ability of singing whatever type of music he wanted. I also like his gospel singing. A lot.
    Goodbye Rosanne...Your "family" in TCB will always remember you.

Quote Originally Posted by LianaKaralivanou View Post
    We all know that Elvis was influenced by the blues type of music and I really would have enjoyed listening to some more blues songs sung by him. But I appreciate his ability of singing whatever type of music he wanted. I also like his gospel singing. A lot.
    Elvis could sing almost any type of music...and he very much did so.. except rap.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Well, Col Jon Burrows as you know rap wasn't around in the 70's. But he wouldn't want to sing crap music anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by john carpenter View Post
    Well, Col Jon Burrows as you know rap wasn't around in the 70's. But he wouldn't want to sing crap music anyway.
    Very true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12