Thread: impossible dream live question

Mad Tigers

impossible dream live question

i heard there was a period in the 70s when elvis would end the show with the impossible dream, as opposed to Can't Help Falling in Love. When was this period exactly? And what cds can I hear a full show, with him ending the concert with that song. Hopefull in good quality.

In 1971 Vegas Season 4 January/February, The Impossible Dream was used as an ending.

Lake Tahoe July/August 1971 used only once.

Don't know where you can find these on CD's.
    Last edited by Tommy; 07-19-2008 at 06:23 PM.

You can find a show from January 28 1971 on the FTD cd called "The impossible dream"
    "Elvis music is how feelings sounds like"

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    To bad he didn't use the impossible dream as the show closer more often such a show stopper performance love it everytime...have a few really good sounding cds from 71 with it used as the show closer and love them!!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Here's a few bootleg CDs where "The Impossile Dream" was used as a show closer.

Title: Lean, Mean And Kickin' Butt
    Label: Fort Baxter
    Label Number: 2201
    Release Date: 1996
    Recording Type: Live Soundboard Recording
    Date: January 28 - 1971 , Midnight Show

Title: Heavy Times
    Label: MxF
    Label Number: none listed
    Release Date: 2007
    Recording Type: Live Soundboard Recording
    Date: January 28 - 1971 , M.S & January 29 - 1971 , D.S

Title: There Goes My Everything
    Label: ?
    Label Number: None Listed !
    Release Date: 2005
    Recording Type: Live Audience Recording
    Date: February 19 - 1971, Midnight Show

Title: Las Vegas Fever Vol.1
    Label: Golden Stars
    Label Number: TKCD 1043
    Release Date: 1991
    Recording Type: Live Audience Recording
    Date: February 21 - 1971 , Midnight Show
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    To bad he didn't use the impossible dream as the show closer more often such a show stopper performance love it everytime...have a few really good sounding cds from 71 with it used as the show closer and love them!!
    VERY TRUE PAL!!!

Although THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM definitely made a great closing number, whenever I listen to a concert where he used that song as the closing song, it always sounds a little strange to me just because I am so used to hearing CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE at the end of the concert...

But nevertheless....it would have been an awesome way to close his shows more often for sure!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I think "Taking Care of Business" would have been a great opening or closing song?
    "Taking Care Of Business In A Flash!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    VERY TRUE PAL!!!

Although THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM definitely made a great closing number, whenever I listen to a concert where he used that song as the closing song, it always sounds a little strange to me just because I am so used to hearing CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE at the end of the concert...

But nevertheless....it would have been an awesome way to close his shows more often for sure!!!

TCB!
    Mike
    Was a bit strange as we are so used to chfil but sure was a breath of fresh air...i'm sure elvis got tired of singing that same song as the closer for some many years upon end...recall a show from december 1975 elvis sang I can't help falling in love after cc rider..it was quiet surprising.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

TCB!
    Mike
    It would have made the last 20 minutes or so of any Elvis show less stressful if you didn't know what he was going to close with. I bet that sounds really strange, but, after about 45 minutes into a show you would silently pray at the end of each song that you didn't hear that opening piano of CHFIL. The first time I saw him in '71 I was oblivious as to what was about to happen. I became a "quick study" however, and would always dread that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    It would have made the last 20 minutes or so of any Elvis show less stressful if you didn't know what he was going to close with. I bet that sounds really strange, but, after about 45 minutes into a show you would silently pray at the end of each song that you didn't hear that opening piano of CHFIL. The first time I saw him in '71 I was oblivious as to what was about to happen. I became a "quick study" however, and would always dread that sound.
    Say it would be a sad feeling knowing the show was about to end..

...recall a show from december 1975 elvis sang I can't help falling in love after cc rider..it was quiet surprising.
    DECEMBER 10, 1975 - LAS VEGAS HILTON
    MIDNIGHT SHOW

Also Sprach Zarathustra
    See See Rider
    Can't Help Falling In Love
    When My Blues Moon Turns To Gold Again
    I Got A Woman/Amen
    Fairytale
    And I Love You So
    Tryin' To Get To You
    Polk Salad Annie
    Just Pretend
    How Great Thou Art
    America The Beautiful
    Mystery Train/Tiger Man
    My Way
    Blue Christmas

Definitely a rare song lineup!!! But...lots of GREAT song choices including FAIRYTALE, AND I LOVE YOU SO, JUST PRETEND and a rare '75 version of MY WAY!!!

TCB!
    Mike

MIDNIGHT SHOW

There was no "midnight" show on December 10, 1975. There was one show only, at 10pm.
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

MIDNIGHT SHOW

Also Sprach Zarathustra
    See See Rider
    When My Blues Moon Turns To Gold Again
    I Got A Woman/Amen
    Fairytale
    And I Love You So
    Tryin' To Get To You
    Polk Salad Annie
    Just Pretend
    How Great Thou Art
    America The Beautiful
    Mystery Train/Tiger Man
    My Way
    Blue Christmas

Definitely a rare song lineup!!! But...lots of GREAT song choices including FAIRYTALE, AND I LOVE YOU SO, JUST PRETEND and a rare '75 version of MY WAY!!!

TCB!
    Mike
    People don't realize alot but the 1975 December Las Vegas Engagement was one of the best from our man...he had packed on the wait but hew as singing just as strong and was in control very much so with many rare performances for that time in the setlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    There was no "midnight" show on December 10, 1975. There was one show only, at 10pm.
    Correct Getlo. Released on the cd titled "Las Vegas Moonlight". Fine CD

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    Impossible Dream was an excellent song to close the show with imo

Even though I do like CHFIL as the show closer, I do think he should've put in different songs in this slot, such as American Trilogy, America, and My Way.

BTW, on the FTD cd Taking Tahoe Tonight (1973), he wanted to sing Impossible Dream and calls it out several times, but the orchestra didn't know it!
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man View Post
    BTW, on the FTD cd Taking Tahoe Tonight (1973), he wanted to sing Impossible Dream and calls it out several times, but the orchestra didn't know it!
    I hate it when i'm listening to a show and elvis wants to sing a song thats rare for that time period..like on the Fort Baxter cd Moody Blue and other great performances when he calls for Why Me Lord and David Briggs didn't even know the intro to it

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    OOPS...

Sorry about that....thanks for setting me straight Getlo!!!

TCB!
    Mike

recall a show from december 1975 elvis sang I can't help falling in love after cc rider..it was quiet surprising.
    I bet the audience was stunned. They had to be thinking....."wow, the time really flew by on this show."

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    I bet the audience was stunned. They had to be thinking....."wow, the time really flew by on this show."
    Perhaps Elvis was just fooling around with the audience..