Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Dear Georgie

  1. #21
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    It was quite obvious then and even more so today, but the contempt in which he writes of his subject is completely astounding.

    He even goes as far as saying that Elvis couldn't sing. So, with that simmple statement, Goldman loses his credibility completely!!!!!

    Even for those who don't consider themselves 'fans' of Elvis, no that the man can sing!!!!
    That is all so true...yes, he lost his credibility with that statement. When I was in college I had a giant poster of Elvis on the back of the dorm room door(the one where he is in the blue lace-up suit with the sunglasses on). My roomate and the other girls on our floor were NOT Elvis fans so to speak. Yet...everyone of them admitted he could sing and that he was a sexy looking man. My roomate would wake up every morning, sit up in bed and say...."Oh Lord..it's too early in the morning to look at something that sexy. That poster just says HOT & SEXY". Those were her words...not mine.

  2. #22
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    No doubt that he started something. It was just such an explosive book to read, especially when I had read nothing else as a biography on Elvis. Yikes, I was just blown away by the things which he writes. It was quite obvious then and even more so today, but the contempt in which he writes of his subject is completely astounding.

    He even goes as far as saying that Elvis couldn't sing. Now, of all of the things that have been written about Elvis - the drugs, women, guns, tantrums (all which no one denies), the simple fact of claiming that the man couldn't sing was completely crazy!!!!! So, with that simple statement, Goldman loses his credibility completely!!!!!

    Even for those who don't consider themselves 'fans' of Elvis, know that the man can sing!!!! From a technical point of view, he has an amazing voice that spans almost 3 octaves which allows him to sing tenor and bass. From a pure emotional point of view, his voice can move a person to tears with the emotion of the likes of no one else ever!!!!
    Goldman hated Rock-n-Roll from the start (he was a jazz man) he played up the worst of Elvis because he hated rock and Elvis was the main catalyst to its acceptance. He worked hard to make Elvis appear to be almost an imbecile. He stressed the bad qualities and denied Elvis any good ones.
    It was as slanted and one sided as any book I have ever read. He did not even give Elvis credit for talent?????????
    Goldmans book on John Lennon was not as harsh-but still the hatred of Rock showed through.

  3. #23
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    He worked hard to make Elvis appear to be almost an imbecile. He stressed the bad qualities and denied Elvis any good ones.
    It was as slanted and one sided as any book I have ever read. He did not even give Elvis credit for talent?????????
    Is there any truth to the story that when Elvis made his 69 comeback in Las Vegas that Goldman had written a glowing, positive review? Among other things as well...Goldman thought most everyone from the South was an imbecile.

  4. #24
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Is there any truth to the story that when Elvis made his 69 comeback in Las Vegas that Goldman had written a glowing, positive review? Among other things as well...Goldman thought most everyone from the South was an imbecile.
    I am unsure on that-but now that you brought it up it seems somewhere I have read that also. Here is what Greg Marcus wrote about Goldmans book in his review for the Village Voice:
    "The real significance of Goldman's 'Elvis' is its attempt at cultural genocide ... The torrents of hate that drive this book are unrelieved." Furthermore, Marcus particularly objected to Goldman's constant slurs against Presley's background, including his characterization of Presley's parents as "the original Beverly Hillbillies." "It is Goldman's purpose to entirely discredit Elvis Presley, the culture that produced him, and the culture he helped create--to altogether dismiss and condemn, in other words, not just Elvis Presley, but the white working-class South from which he came, and the pop world which emerged in his wake."

  5. #25
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I am unsure on that-but now that you brought it up it seems somewhere I have read that also. Here is what Greg Marcus wrote about Goldmans book in his review for the Village Voice:
    "The real significance of Goldman's 'Elvis' is its attempt at cultural genocide ... The torrents of hate that drive this book are unrelieved." Furthermore, Marcus particularly objected to Goldman's constant slurs against Presley's background, including his characterization of Presley's parents as "the original Beverly Hillbillies." "It is Goldman's purpose to entirely discredit Elvis Presley, the culture that produced him, and the culture he helped create--to altogether dismiss and condemn, in other words, not just Elvis Presley, but the white working-class South from which he came, and the pop world which emerged in his wake."
    The guy was obviously a sick and twisted imbecile himself. What year did he die? It's a wonder some Elvis fanatic didn't have him assasinated. The worst part of the whole book is the fact that there are "fans" who believe alot of what he has to say. I have heard some say as much here at TCB. I think it was Getlo that mentioned he had written a positive review of his 69 show.....Getlo~are you out there?

  6. #26
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    The guy was obviously a sick and twisted imbecile himself. What year did he die? It's a wonder some Elvis fanatic didn't have him assasinated. The worst part of the whole book is the fact that there are "fans" who believe alot of what he has to say. I have heard some say as much here at TCB. I think it was Getlo that mentioned he had written a positive review of his 69 show.....Getlo~are you out there?
    Its the venom he used with each word, the absolute feeling of hate he has for Elvis and anything associated with Elvis-which makes this such a horrid book.

  7. #27
    Angel utmom2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    10,021
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its the venom he used with each word, the absolute feeling of hate he has for Elvis and anything associated with Elvis-which makes this such a horrid book.
    Yes, I agree with you. That old expression "spewing venom" was created for the critique of this book. It is an evil, vile piece of work.

  8. #28
    TCB Mafia ehollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,307
    Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    Is there any truth to the story that when Elvis made his 69 comeback in Las Vegas that Goldman had written a glowing, positive review? Among other things as well...Goldman thought most everyone from the South was an imbecile.
    Rosanne, this link, http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press15.htm, will take you to Goldman's review. It really wasn't a favorable review, mostly a tongue-in-cheek description of his 1970 Winter Opening.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

    John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

  9. #29
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932
    Quote Originally Posted by ehollier View Post
    Rosanne, this link, http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press15.htm, will take you to Goldman's review. It really wasn't a favorable review, mostly a tongue-in-cheek description of his 1970 Winter Opening.
    In reading it I would also not call this a favorable review-it is a great lesson in how to put someone down and make it sound like you aren't. Excerpt:
    The climax of Presley's monodrama is tremendous Cecil B. DeMille tableau. The orchestra is silhouetted against a cerulean blue cyclorama while its members are transfigured by rich gold light pouring in from the wings. At the massed musicians sustain a mighty cathedral chord, the Great White Hope falls on one knee in the classic Jolson-gladiator pose, saluting the thousands in the house, - saluting, perhaps, the house, with its three-dimensional putti stringing yards of swagging chifflon between plastic classic columns.

    Grander than the "Fountainblue," grosser than Grossinger's, the International Hotel, the ultimate motel, 1,500 rooms redolent more of Howard Johnson than Howard Hughes, has found itself an "attraction" magnetic enough to pull the shut-in generation over 30 out of their ranch houses onto nonstop jets and down in to the Valley of Loose Gold where the King of the Oldy-Moldy-Goldys presided over his people with eternal youth and joy and jamboree
    "The King of Oldy-Moldy-Goldys"-what a compliment!

  10. #30
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    272
    Who said we stopped pulling up grass in the 50's? I have to come home with at least one leaf or stick whenever I go. I don't pull it up if it is live, I try and find something on the drive as I walk up and down for walkup.

  11. #31
    Backstage Pass Lainey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    172
    I am SO GLAD that I never read Goldman's book ~ and I have no intention of ever doing so...

  12. #32
    Backstage Pass Kris P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I am SO GLAD that I never read Goldman's book ~ and I have no intention of ever doing so...
    It is worth reading as there are many factual stories. The reader just needs to keep a little perspective and bear in mind the authors obvious contempt for his subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. my dear friends through dear elvis
    By mistymorning in forum Off topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 11:52 AM
  2. Dear Everyone At Tcb World
    By hgs262626 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •