Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "left out" lyrics from Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

The "left out" lyrics from Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues

Elvis left out this verse to the song for some reason. I think the lyrics hit home with Elvis.....Maybe he thought the media or whoever would make a deal out of it?

I got my pills to ease the pain
    Can't find a thing to ease the rain
    I'd love to try and settle down
    But everybody's leavin' town
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    That would have fit Elvis to the tee. Wow didnt know that. Thanks!
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I think it just hit too close to home personally and was more a matter of him dealing with that himself than fears of outside impressions.

Consider the opening lines to Pieces of My Life:

A water glass full of whiskey
    And women that I never knew too well

It seems to me that if he didn't want anyone drawing any conclusions, he would have just sung the song as it was written since obviously he did not write it.

JMHO.

But whatever the exact reason, it is certainly telling that he omitted that verse.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

And Way Down the line "The medicine within me, no doctor could prescribe"......wonder why he would sing those lyrics, especially that was right when he was the heaviest into the drugs...

Very sorry, Brad. I intended to quote your message here in a reply but edited it instead. Your original response had more to it and I can't get that back. Sincerest apologies. -- Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonniebealestreet; 07-03-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Wow ... never knew about these 'left out' lyrics before...thanks for posting them
    my youtube page www.youtube.com/elvispresleyuk

"...you're still lovely,
    you were lovely then,
    all that you had to endure,
    i guess nobody noticed it..."

Cadillac King
    Wow! Thanks! This Is Certainly Very Interesting! Perhaps It Hit A Nerve As You Have Said??? Great Research Col Jon Burrows!
    1969 july 31st, will we ever see anything?? sob sob!

Quote Originally Posted by hgs262626 View Post
    Perhaps It Hit A Nerve As You Have Said???
    I think it did so too.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows
    And Way Down the line "The medicine within me, no doctor could prescribe"......wonder why he would sing those lyrics, especially that was right when he was the heaviest into the drugs...
    That line always struck me as ironic...The meaning of the lyric is not literal, I don't think. I believe it refers to a feeling of being high but not in a chemical sense. Consider the next line: "Your love is doing something that I just can't describe."

However there was way too much medicine within him so whenever I hear that line I think "the medicine within me no doctor should prescribe."
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

The lyrics in 'Way Down' and 'Pieces Of My Life' show that Elvis did sing some lyrics that were close to home for him so maybe the verse was already omitted when the song was put to him.
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_burrows View Post
    The lyrics in 'Way Down' and 'Pieces Of My Life' show that Elvis did sing some lyrics that were close to home for him so maybe the verse was already omitted when the song was put to him.
    As far as the song Pieces of My Life I have always thought that could have been written as a signature piece for Elvis' life.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Pieces of my Life being sung by Elvis in a Star is Born. Wouldnt that fit the movie?
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

I knew about the left out verse. I don't think we'll ever know whether he left them out intentionally.

There are a lot of songs he sung that we can look at and say wow they fit Elvis to a tee if we want. Memphis Tennesse, You Gave Me A Mountian, Pieces of My life, Seperate Ways, Always on My Mind etc.

I just like his recording of these tracks.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

I didn't know about this one, I did know about Elvis' changing the lyrics of Early Morning Rain. Not a major change either - from 'cold & drunk as I can be' to 'cold & drunk as I might be'. I remember reading Gordon Lightfoot stating that he thought it funny that Elvis changed the words, but he was ok with it and left it that way.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

i think it was an intentional omissions

rick

What about the song "Good Time Charlie" when he says "you fool around and lose your life" and then he says "I almost did that"????

Forever Best Friends

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    What about the song "Good Time Charlie" when he says "you fool around and lose your life" and then he says "I almost did that"????
    Yeah that's from August 19th 1974 Opening Night in Vegas.

It's sad he thought of it as a joke when really did almost die...

i never knew that there were missing lyrics to this song very interesting but i think it was just to close to reall life so he probably just left them out and i think pieces of my life is the story of his life gret lyrics in that

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    Pieces of my Life being sung by Elvis in a Star is Born. Wouldnt that fit the movie?
    After the master take 4, Elvis held all the musicians there and played the song repeatedly atleast 30 times over and over.....haunting lyrics...

TCB Mafia
    Good time Charlie would have been better if Elvis had included the words in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Jon Burrows View Post
    After the master take 4, Elvis held all the musicians there and played the song repeatedly atleast 30 times over and over.....haunting lyrics...
    I agree...very autobiographical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast